Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st January 2009, 21:59   #1
BHPian

Default A night in Bheemeshwari

From last three to four months I was planning to go for a long trip, but could not make it due to work load and later due to recession. But, finally I decided (and got opportunity) to take a break from my office work last week when I left my Job and planned to spend a night at Bheemeshwari, at the banks of Cauvery.

There are three ways to reach Bheemeshwari (popularly known as Cauvery Fishing Camp)

Route No 1: Bangalore -- take Kanakpura road (via Harohalli) -- Kanakpura -- Sathnur Junction -- Muttati -- Bheemeshwari (120 Kms)

Route No 2 Bangalore -- take Kanakpura road (via Harohalli) -- Kanakpura -- Sathnur Junction -- Algor -- Bheemeshwari (100 Kms)

Route No 3 Bangalore -- take Mysore road -- go till Maddur -- take shivanasamudra road till Malvalli -- take left at Malvalli towards Algor -- Bheemeshwari (not advisable -- more than 130 Kms)

On 16th morning we packed our bags and started our journey at 8:30 a.m and reached Kanakpura road toll gate (which is now in makeshift conditions) at 9:15 a.m, paid Rs 16 till the next deviation from where we took right toward Harohalli on the way to Kanakpura. The state highway is in manageable condition, one can easily maintain around 60 kms/hour.

We reached Harohalli at 10.25 a.m, throughout the way I was looking for an ATM as I was running out of Cash. And to my surprise there was not even a single ATM in the entire route, except one Canara Bank ATM at Kanakpura.

After withdrawing cash from Kanakpura, we started our journey further and reached Sathnur Junction. This is the place to watch out, from here one can take either Muttati or Algor route to reach Bheemeshwari. By mistake we took Muttati route which is the longest among the first two routes (120Kms) and turned little worse. The route passes through Ghat section, which is very steep and narrow. After this ghat section the road runs parallel to Cauvery river. The view was really amazing, one side river and other side greenery. When we were hardly 5 Kms away from Bheemeshwari, a few locals stopped us and demanded Rs 50 to enter the reserve forest. Finding no other go I paid Rs 50 and continued towards Bheemeshwari. And finally reached Bheemeshwari at 12:30.

Prior booking is mandatory at Jungle lodges and Resorts run by Govt of Karnataka, which has complete monopoly at Bheemeshwari. The accommodation facilities includes -- tented cottages, Mud huts, Log huts and Cottages, starting from Rs 2250 per person to Rs 3000 per person. The package includes welcome drink, Buffet lunch, dinner and breakfast, boating, joy fishing, Campfire and barbecue party at riverside in the evening and trekking next day morning. Food (veg and non-veg) was excellent, better than what I expected. Cauvery Fishing Camp is a perfect place to rest your body and soul. No office work, no phone calls, entertain yourself with natural ambiance in the middle of the reserve forest. No need of alarm clock to wake up in the morning, a group of wild bores will help you to wake-up. Overall, this place is completely worth spending for a night stay.

Important points:

No ATM in the entire route.
Do not take chance to fill petrol/diesel on the way.
No mobile network at Bheemeshwari.
Do not get into the water (highly risky - see photos)

Let photos do the rest of the talk...
Attached Thumbnails
A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn03541.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn03602.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn03613.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn03704.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn03825.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn03926.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn0533.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn0546.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn0547.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn04007.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn04028.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn04189.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn042210.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn043611.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn044812.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn0564.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn045913.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn047414.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn048915.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn049716.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn050317.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn051818.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn0520.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn0522.jpg  

A night in Bheemeshwari-dscn0537.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st January 2009 at 22:15. Reason: only two smilies per post allowed
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 22:40   #2
BHPian

Wow! Lovely photographs. You surely must have had loads of fun.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

WHo are the 3 females who keep drowning every year?
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

No offence meant to anyone and God have mercy on their soul but Good One Kuttapan. It was the same thought when I saw those statistics .
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue and pics. I have never been to Bheemeshwari (although travelled through Kanakapura during my Shivasamudram bike trip in 2004) so your pics gave a nice ambience to the place.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
.... a few locals stopped us and demanded Rs 50 to enter the reserve forest.
Did they give you a receipt? We go there very often and one has to pay there. nothing unusual.

The picture of the room with elephant & deer painting [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-dscn0533.jpg] will look very familiar to the Bangalore OTR gang who have been to Soligere . It is in a small field to the RHS while going to the camp. Also, just before this on RHS, there is a small trail going on LHS to an observation tower. The view from there is quite good.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd January 2009 at 09:01.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
No offence meant to anyone and God have mercy on their soul but Good One Kuttapan. It was the same thought when I saw those statistics .
Lighter side if 2 females are there on the board then it is safe for females as per the 3 year statistics. Good place. I am also planning from a long time. How to book the jungle resort. DO we need to go to KSRTC office or it can be booked through net etc.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

To book the jungle lodges resort you got to go to their office located in sringar complex on MG road blr. You can book there for all their lodges in Kar.

Great snaps buddy. Wanna visit this place sometime
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:26   #9
BHPian

bade bhai! excellent place !lovely pics!

your pic captioned "joy fishing" reminds me of the fevicol ad where in the person is sitting for waiting for the fish and the noise maker runs in hehehe..

nobody's going to buy a whirlpool washing machine after reading the 'statisticks', of death

on a serious note i have seen a similar statistical board on the way to aksa beach in mumbai( all mumbai folks visiting this thread will relate)..
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:50   #10
BHPian

Really nice pictures there and a equally good report .
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Did they give you a receipt? We go there very often and one has to pay there. nothing unusual.

The picture of the room with elephant & deer painting [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/travelogues/92233d1232552788t-night-bheemeshwari-dscn0533.jpg] will look very familiar to the Bangalore OTR gang who have been to Soligere . It is in a small field to the RHS while going to the camp. Also, just before this on RHS, there is a small trail going on LHS to an observation tower. The view from there is quite good.
Yes Khan Bhai, they gave me receipt against Rs 50. But that has nothing to do with the reserve forest. That was some temple's receipt. Besides, if you take algor route than you don't have to pay.

Yes that room is on the way to the camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Lighter side if 2 females are there on the board then it is safe for females as per the 3 year statistics. Good place. I am also planning from a long time. How to book the jungle resort. DO we need to go to KSRTC office or it can be booked through net etc.
Thanks Aka, You don't have to go to junlge lodges and resorts office for booking, which is located in MG road near deccan heralds office. you can book online at Jungle Lodges & Resorts Eco Holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
bade bhai! excellent place !lovely pics!

your pic captioned "joy fishing" reminds me of the fevicol ad where in the person is sitting for waiting for the fish and the noise maker runs in hehehe..

nobody's going to buy a whirlpool washing machine after reading the 'statisticks', of death

on a serious note i have seen a similar statistical board on the way to aksa beach in mumbai( all mumbai folks visiting this thread will relate)..
Thanks Rajesh. It is very common to find such satistics boards at places like this. But the question is how many people take such warnings seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Wow! Lovely photographs. You surely must have had loads of fun.
Thanks adheesh. That place was awesome. Worth spending Rs 4500 for two people for a night stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice travelogue and pics. I have never been to Bheemeshwari (although travelled through Kanakapura during my Shivasamudram bike trip in 2004) so your pics gave a nice ambience to the place.

Abhi
Thanks a lot abhi bhai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
RufRoc and Kuttapan: Guys even I asked the same question to my wife, she stared at me and I got my answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
To book the jungle lodges resort you got to go to their office located in sringar complex on MG road blr. You can book there for all their lodges in Kar.

Great snaps buddy. Wanna visit this place sometime
Thanks maddy, you can book online at Jungle Lodges & Resorts Eco Holidays
Old 24th January 2009, 12:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue and pics. Did you see and whirlpools during your visit? Good that you did not venture into the water. Muthathi is knows for its killer whirlpools....
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 14:23   #13

Talking

Imran-bhai,

Why did you let the bores wake you up (unless they came with you)?

Sorry, dude couldn't resist the pun on the misspelt boar.

Great pictures and narrative, will add it to one of our "Must See" places.
Walterdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 14:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. I had been to Bheemeshwari in 2005 and enjoyed it a lot. There is the watch tower they take you for a small trek from where one has commanding views of the Kaveri river and the hills on both sides. JLR resorts are pretty well run, and good places for a holiday.
At that time, the drive from Bheemeshwari camp to DH Halli was amazing - well tarred smooth winding roads through enchanting scenery. I drove it 3-4 times because it felt nice.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 24th January 2009 at 14:28.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 15:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nice travelogue and pics. Did you see and whirlpools during your visit? Good that you did not venture into the water. Muthathi is knows for its killer whirlpools....
Thanks snaronikar. No I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterdee View Post
Imran-bhai,

Why did you let the bores wake you up (unless they came with you)?

Sorry, dude couldn't resist the pun on the misspelt boar.

Great pictures and narrative, will add it to one of our "Must See" places.
Hay walterdee, thanks man for pointing out. I didn't notice this... Is there any way to edit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Nice travelogue. I had been to Bheemeshwari in 2005 and enjoyed it a lot. There is the watch tower they take you for a small trek from where one has commanding views of the Kaveri river and the hills on both sides. JLR resorts are pretty well run, and good places for a holiday.
At that time, the drive from Bheemeshwari camp to DH Halli was amazing - well tarred smooth winding roads through enchanting scenery. I drove it 3-4 times because it felt nice.
Thanks Lance_rit, completely agree with you bhai.