Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th January 2009, 02:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days

This was a dream getaway for me starting on the 25th Dec'08 and lasting till the 2nd Jan '09 covering the most scenic drives ever ventured out by me. A total of 2800Kms spanning in 7 days covering Mysore, Bandipur, Ooty, Conoor,Wayanad,Pookte Lake, Kozikhode, Marvanthe, Kannur, Bekal,Mangalore, Honnavar,JogFalls,Goa(Colva Beach),GanapatiPule,Mahabhaleshwar,Pune and then back to Bangalore. I was skeptical about NH7 but Kumar sir had given me the assurance that it can be done and ofcourse provided me with his log books and pointers for us to feel comfortable about the drive. He is spot on with his immaculate suggestions and we ventured out on this remarkable journey on my "Maverick" and my bro-in-law's "Aveo".

Wow! this was the best drive I ever had till date and it all started with my in-laws coming down from Mumbai to visit us. Myself and my brother-in-law(sammykhan on the forum----pathetically inactive member) decided to hit the road starting Dec25th and cover most of coastal KA and MH.

Just like so many folks here on the forum,to me the very essence of sitting behind the wheel and drive is just what I needed and its been too interesting and a scenic drive ever ventured.

Here comes the details with Pics and though not a seasoned travelogue writer like mjothi's,rjstyles69 here is my attempt to showcase the beauty around pixed by my better half (to me the roads were a revelation).

With around 1K pics during the entire trip, here are a few pics certainly capturing the beauty around.

Day 1: 25th Dec ---> Started from Bangy to Mysore with an intention to cover Mysore Palace and Brindavan Gardens and then hit Bandipur by night and its just the start of this wonderful trip and its worth the drive.

@Brindavan Garden,@ KR Sagar Dam
Attached Images

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 26th January 2009 at 02:07.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 02:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Day2: 26th Dec ----> After having halted @ a lodge in Bandipur the previous night, we head out for the Safari and then towards Ooty after the rather lackluster trip in the Jungle. Damn! We could spot only some peacocks,peahens and some beautiful deer the trip into the jungle was disappointing.

Pics @ Bandipur

The road from Mysore to Bandipur was very bad as we were approaching Bandipur and could not take pics of the same as we hit that stretch after sunset and the road indeed was totally non existent in some patches which was very very bad. Halted for the night in a lodge there which was reasonably priced @ Rs 700 for 4 people.

After the safari got over in about an hour, we headed to Ooty taking the 36 hairpen bend road which was really very exciting and nice to say the least.
Attached Images

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 26th January 2009 at 02:22.
Old 26th January 2009, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Day2: 26th Dec: While in Ooty and Conoor, visited the prominent places like Rose Garden, Doddabeta Peak and some of the tea and coffee plantations all around.

The 3rd day ,27th Dec from Ooty towards Kozikhode covering Wayanad plantations,Pookte Lake was just brilliant with excellent ghat sections and tea and coffee plantations all around .
Attached Images

Old 26th January 2009, 11:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and travelogue. VJ will follow this thread closely. Hoping to get lots of information which may be useful for me later (for planning my trips). ;-)
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 12:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Definitely Srinivas ! The most scenic roads ever ventured out by me. The trip ahead covering Wayanad,Coastal KA,Jog Falls,Goa,Ganapatipule and Mahabhaleshwar is yet to be posted and will update it soon. I was skeptical to try the NH-17 except that it was a two lane highway the roads were not that bad as I imagined.
Old 26th January 2009, 12:20   #6
BHPian

Nice snaps and description vijay bhai. Please post details about accommodation facility and charges. Watching closely.

Imran
ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 20:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ Imran:Thanks Imran Bhai and will update the details about accommodation facility charges etc.

Coming back to the travelogue itself from day3 and ahead, I can just say that the drive through TN,KL and Coastal KA was mesmerizing with excellent ghat sections all throughout and ofcourse the tea and coffee plantations all across on either side of the road.

The Stay in Ooty was @ a place by the road itself called "Shammi's" residence which included 2 BHK house for the entire family on the 1st floor for about 2K /day housing our entire family of 7 members and the place was a decent one with decent food served. (Sorry! Dont have pics taken of that place)

Day3: Dec27th----> This drive down from Ooty towards coastal KL and KA covering Wayanad,Pookte Lake, Kozhikode(Calicut) was the most breathtaking and beautiful of the entire trip.

We halted @ Kannur which was roughly 100Km away from Mangalore for the night on the NH-17 highway @ a decent hotel (Not able to recall the name) for Rs 650 per night for two people. The following pics show case the beauty all around
Attached Thumbnails
Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-2712200815961.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-271220081635.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-271220081597.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-271220081673.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-271220081659.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-281220081742.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-271220081633.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-271220081631.jpg  

Old 27th January 2009, 00:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

heyy VJ awesome journey bro. Great to see "Jordan" travelling all over beautiful places.Will surely keep an eye on your complete travelogue

Last edited by sammyboy : 27th January 2009 at 00:46.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 08:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Vijay, which route did you take from Ooty to Kannur (Ooty to Kalpetta to be precise)?

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 10:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Abhi and from Ooty we had taken the route to Gudalur and instead of going towards SultanBathery till Kalpetta we had taken a left from Gudalur towards Neliyallam and contoured the Wayanad plantation area instead of going directly to the Wayanad hill station itself on NH212 towards Kozikhode to touch the NH-17. From there onwards it was the NH-17 coastal KL to Kannur as the main intention was to drive by the coastal highway.
Old 28th January 2009, 17:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Day 4: Dec28th :

After halting @ Kannur for the night we started towards Mangalore and @ Honnavar went towards Jog Falls. It was almost sunset time and that drive was adventurous too with 60Kms of Ghat section with around 25Kms being too good with very wide roads, but there after its a okie dokie type with occasional potholes but the overall journey to JOG FALLS was too good. Reached the place and took the cottage which was very very decent for a price of Rs 650/night accommodating 4 persons in a room which was quite spacious.

The rooms were right across the waterfalls with the view from the balcony being too good. Here are the pics @ Jog falls and on our way back from there towards Goa covering Bekal Beach,Nethravathi river,Karwar to name a few places in between.

The next halt was @ Goa (Colva Beach) and will update the next day (Day-5).
Attached Thumbnails
Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-291220081756.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-291220081760.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-291220081764.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-road1.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-road2.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-karwar.jpg  

Year End Getaway with family covering KA,TN,KL,GA,MH and back to KA in 7 days-nethravathi.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 28th January 2009, 17:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nice pictures. I did a part of the route last weekend on my bike.
The 36 hair pins are a hoot and Bandipur is simply awesome.

Check out the Ooty -> Gudulur stretch sometime. Its very scenic and the roads full of curves.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 17:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Nice pictures. I did a part of the route last weekend on my bike.
The 36 hair pins are a hoot and Bandipur is simply awesome.

Check out the Ooty -> Gudulur stretch sometime. Its very scenic and the roads full of curves.
Yes Buddy ! I too ventured the 36 hair pin bend while going to Ooty and did the stretch towards Gudalur from Ooty and the drive is simply awesome with excellent Ghat sections
Old 28th January 2009, 18:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Vijay, one small suggession. Pls caption the pics so that it provide a great view.
Waiting to see the rest of the travelogue.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 19:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Vijay, one small suggession. Pls caption the pics so that it provide a great view.
Waiting to see the rest of the travelogue.

Abhi
Sure Abhi ! I was too lazy to do that, but definitely will do that in the future pics. Surely should take a cue from you,Tirth,Riju on travelogues but . I will add the captions in future pics.

No recent travelogues from you yet,looks like you haven't ventured into any trips offlate.