Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th February 2009, 22:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautifully written narrative. Waiting to read more...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

0600HRS, 30TH DECEMBER,2008, MORNING SAFARI

Getting up at 0530hrs for the 0600hrs start surprisingly was not much of a fight. Against all expectations we were all up feeling as fresh as ever and were raring to go and see the bounties of nature. I think the fresh air, natural sounds and tension free atmosphere all coupled up and acted as natural sedatives for a sound sleep.

Outside the sun had not come out as yet, the dawn light provided some spectacular views of the Ramganga River flowing below. Overnight fog had settled over the Ramganga River and was looking like a huge white fluffy carpet. After some quick photographs we all settled in the gypsy with the guide and the driver and moved on for the safari.

Morning view from the hut (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1957.jpg

All set for the morning safari (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1963.jpg

Electric fencing that actually doesnít work (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1965.jpg

Overnight a decision had been taken between us. The decision was not to stop for more than 10 minutes at one given place in search of a Tiger. Agreed the tiger is the biggest attraction in a jungle but if it happened like the previous day where after being at one place for 2 hrs we still didnít spot the tiger, would be so much of time wastage. Instead we decided we would rather spend that time in exploring other parts of the jungle.

The morning chill turned out to be a bit difficult to handle, the wind was freezing and even the caps and the jackets and the gloves were not helping. So we had to resort to some other methods.

Braving the morning chill (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1927.jpg

First we passed through the Dhikala grasslands which are the largest remaining grasslands of the jungle. The grasslands with a bit of mist settled on them and the sun slowly rising from behind the hills gave a spectacular view.

Dhikala Grasslands sunrise (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1968.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1970.jpg

Back in the jungle we stopped at a different crocodile point this time. There were no crocodiles to be spotted. But the morning light that was giving different hues of green and browns to the hills beyond made it a compulsory photo opportunity.

Different shades of green (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1973.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1974.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1975.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1977.jpg

During the morning safari apart from enjoying the beautiful jungle sights we could not spot many animals. We were not disappointed at all at not being able to watch many animals the beautiful atmosphere was making up for that. Well we did spot a few of them.

More of grasslands (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1978.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1983.jpg

An eagle that we spotted (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1980.jpg
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

0900HRS, 30TH DECEMBER, 2008 DHIKALA FRH

We reached back at Dhikala after the morning safari and headed straight for sunshine. We needed that to thaw ourselves after the chilly morning ride in an open gypsy. After soaking in the sun rays it was time for breakfast. The breakfast buffet was very elaborate and we feasted on the dosas, the omlettes, the breadís the jams, the butters. We didnít even spare the poha, we were all so hungry.

The restaurant (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1987.jpg

Enjoying breakfast (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1993.jpg

We carried our tea back in the sun to enjoy the view of the River flowing below.

Soaking the sunshine (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1990.jpg

With the sun out, at a distance we could see some crocodiles on the huge boulders along the river.

Crocodiles at a distance (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1997.jpg

I decided to click some photos around while the others enjoyed the sun and the tea.

View of Ramganga in the morning (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1988.jpg

Various cottages (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1996.jpg

Our accommodation (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1998.jpg

By 1030 hrs we were finished with the checkout procedures at the reception and had obtained the clearance certificate that has to be given back at Dhangari gate while exiting the park.

The plan was to leave Ramnagar by 1600 hrs for Delhi so that we could be in Delhi latest by 2200hrs. I had to pick my wife and car from Delhi and drive back to Jaipur the same night, so that she could be in time for work the subsequent day.

Hence we still had about 2 hrs to roam around in Dhikala before we had to make our way back to Ramnagar. We decided to go somewhere new in an off beat track where not many tourists go. After consultation with the guide and the driver, we decided to make our way to Kanda FRH area. Kanda area was across the Ramganga River right on top of the hill across the river. As per the guide not many people go to Kanda as spotting wildlife is very difficult but the views are beautifull from there.

1030HRS, 30TH DECEMBER, 2008 KANDA

After bidding adieu to Dhikala for this time we were on our way to Kanda. On the way again few vehicles were standing and as we reached closer everyone was gesticulating to stop our vehicle and stay put. The same scene from the previous evening was being repeated. Monkeys were jumping on the tress and a deer was crying on loud. As decided earlier we just stayed there for 10 minutes and after getting no favourable response from the tiger we moved on. Big mistake!! Later we came to know that al the vehicles that waited there saw a glimpse the all elusive tiger. Never mind, we saw Kanda Area, well which wasnít as impressive as seeing the tiger but was still awesome. These are Pics from Kanda area.

Some elephants in the grasslands (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2001.jpg

Crossing temporary bridges and streams (pics)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2003.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2004.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2029.jpg

More crocodiles on the other side of the river (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2008.jpg

Barking Deer(pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2023.jpg

Langur enjoying on a termite hill (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2021.jpg

Spotted something (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2034.jpg

A pair of owls (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2037.jpg

Other landscape photos (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2033.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2029.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	104230
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2028.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2020.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2017.jpg
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2013.jpg

A signboard we came across (pic)
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_2039.jpg

1500HRS, 30TH DECEMBER, 2008 RAMNAGAR HOTEL

The Corbett trip was coming to an end. After the Kanda trip we dropped the guide back at Dhikala and made our way back to Dhangari gate. All the clearance papers were shown at the gate and we proceeded to the hotel where our Scorpio was standing. In between we had to tank up the gypsy as per the agreement. At the hotel the Scorpio was waiting for us all nice and cleaned by the hotel staff. We settled our driverís bill had a quick lunch and were on the move to Delhi. The return trip to Delhi was quite uneventful. With no fog at least we could see the route we had taken while coming.

Till Rampur Doraha it was all single lane roads but not much of traffic. After crossing Moradabad by pass till Ghaziabad two laning of the high way is in progress hence in some places we got two lanes, some places single lanes with lots of diversions. Still donít know how we managed that in the fog. From Ghazibad to Delhi we did encounter some fog but not much and it didnít matter as the roads were all two lane. We were in Delhi by 22.30 hrs

2230Hhrs, 30th DECEMBER, 2008, NEW DELHI

Within a time span of 7 hours the whole scenario had changed, the trees were replaced by buildings, the jungle sound was replaced by car horns, and the fresh air and clear skies was replaced by smog.

In Delhi we had dinner, said our goodbyes to each other and parted. The total expenditure of the whole trip including gas, accommodation and food was 15k. Which by no means was bad compared to the fun and the good times we had.

I picked up my car and my wife and proceeded to Jaipur the same night. Back to where we had started from in time to celebrate the New Years with the family.
Attached Thumbnails
Different Shades of Green-A Trip To Jim Corbett National Park-img_1994.jpg  

Old 24th February 2009, 01:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Amazing writeup.

I have never been to Corbett. After reading this, i know i will have my first trip there in the next couple of months for sure.

Thank you for sharing this beuatiful adventure.
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 20:30   #20

Hey nice travelogue and nice pictures there.
royaldevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 03:40   #21
BHPian

Nice travelogue and pics. You have captured the mood very well. Loved the early morning shots. I have never been to Corbett. Which is the best place to stay, in terms of location and surroundings? It need not have to be the costliest place.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 10:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Loved the travelogue & the pics. Seems like you guys were there just the day before us (we went on the 30th & came back on the 2nd). We did the Bijrani zone though.

Quick question - would you say its worth doing the night stay at the FRH (as in animal calls & the overall thrill of being inside the forest) or stay at a resort & do the full-day Safari?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 12:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Nice travelogue and pics. You have captured the mood very well. Loved the early morning shots. I have never been to Corbett. Which is the best place to stay, in terms of location and surroundings? It need not have to be the costliest place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Loved the travelogue & the pics. Seems like you guys were there just the day before us (we went on the 30th & came back on the 2nd). We did the Bijrani zone though.

Quick question - would you say its worth doing the night stay at the FRH (as in animal calls & the overall thrill of being inside the forest) or stay at a resort & do the full-day Safari?
Thanks for all the appreciation.

I would strongly recommend having an overnight stay at one of the FRH's in the Corbett park. Though the FRH's may not be as luxurious as the outside hotels might be but the thrill of being inside the jungle you only get from inside.

Dhikala FRH should be the first option out of the other FRH's as its deep inside the forest and offers astonishing views of the Ramganga river. Plus it offers canteen fascilities that most of the other FRH's dont provide.

FRH's are not costly, If I remeber correcty its Rs1200/- for a double room and 200 per bed in a dormitory. They rooms provide basic fascilities like neat clean toilets, hot water, bed sheets, quilts, towels etc etc. You will have to take your own toileteries.
Old 25th February 2009, 13:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great writeup, Loved the photography and the narration. It made me feel that I am right there.
I was there myself in the 1st week of Feb. A travelogue is coming up.
BTW was just wondering why did you take the route from Rampur. That is completely out of the way. From Moradabad there is no need to goto Rampur. You have to take a left and after about 1 km there is a right turn to Corbett. That should have done the trick.
Anyways nice trip and 3k per person all inclusive is not a bad deal at all.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 13:56   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent travelogue. Do go on, we're waiting.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 16:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Quote:
I picked up my car and my wife and proceeded to Jaipur the same night. Back to where we had started from in time to celebrate the New Years with the family.
Oh Sam,
he has already finished travelogue.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 16:53   #27
BHPian

@deky: I agree with Sam. It's an excellently written travelogue.

Last edited by akbaree : 25th February 2009 at 17:07.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I was there myself in the 1st week of Feb. A travelogue is coming up.
BTW was just wondering why did you take the route from Rampur. That is completely out of the way. From Moradabad there is no need to goto Rampur. You have to take a left and after about 1 km there is a right turn to Corbett. That should have done the trick.
Anyways nice trip and 3k per person all inclusive is not a bad deal at all.
Harjeev thats exactly the route we took. We did not go to Rampur, but the place you mention where the right turn has to be taken is known as "Rampur Doraha"

And thanks all for the appreciation. Sam's blogs have always been an inspiration for me to write my travelogues.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Harjeev thats exactly the route we took. We did not go to Rampur, but the place you mention where the right turn has to be taken is known as "Rampur Doraha"

And thanks all for the appreciation. Sam's blogs have always been an inspiration for me to write my travelogues.
oops

My bad, I dint know that.

I myself take down all notes and write my experiences on the notepad in my communicator, but am always too lazy to upload them in the travelogue section
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Oh Sam,
he has already finished travelogue.
I realised too late. I wrote that post without going to the last page, lol. I enjoyed it a lot deky, thanks.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote