Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th November 2010, 10:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Indore Update

Half of the Indore city is dug up. Most of the roads are being converted into concrete roads. By the rate of the work-in-progress, it might take at least two more years for the roads to be completed and improved.

There are two flyovers (one on either side) being built at Bhavarkuan on NH3.

A lot of residential projects mushrooming along NH3 towards Dewas Naka and around NH3 bypass. The 20 odd km to Pithampur from Rau used to be a desolate stretch with only a few village dwellings in between. But now the whole stretch has been converted into plots and fenced. A lot of big townships coming up on this road after IIM. The road is no longer a toll road and is in shambles. Pithampur folks (Factory going folks) use the MHOW bypass to get to Pithampur.

Chappan Dukan has not changed. People still come there to eat their Samosas, Patties, hot dogs, Benjo etc. Benjo is basically a vada pav in which an omlette replaces the vada.

People also come in large numbers to Treasure Island (aka TI) on MG Road for shopping. Unfortunately the Ruby Tuesday restaurant that was open there has now closed. I guess their prices would have been too high for people to have taken a liking to it.

One thing you will definitely notice is the large number of private vehicles (owned by Police folks) with orange beacon lights atop them. Autorickshaw fares seem to be so reasonable (although they are not) compared to the Pune rickshaws.

Last edited by pjbiju : 10th November 2010 at 10:26.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 14:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Some random pictures

A few pictures. All the pictures were taken by my 9-year old son from the moving car.

An overturned truck on the Pune-Nashik highway. We saw at least 4 such accidents on that road alone.
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-truck_on_its_side.jpg

The truck was almost blocking the entire road. Lucky we passed it early morning. This would have led to some traffic jams, later in the day
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-truck_blocking_the_road.jpg

Four-laned NH3 - looks beautiful and inviting
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-nh3.jpg

Marigold plants along NH3
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-marigold.jpg

The flowers on NH3
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-nh3_flowers.jpg

The long stretches of NH3
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-nh3a.jpg

Here's death hurtling down NH3. This guy had at least its headlights turned on. It comes in all forms and sizes - trucks, tractors, 2-wheelers. One needs to be 200% careful while moving into the right lane from behind another vehicle. These incidents are very common once you are in MP.
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-death_hurtling_down.jpg

This is how the taxis ply. Cramming in people. And a human door closer. No wonder when there is an accident involving such a vehicle, the casuality rate is so high
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-humanoid_door_closer.jpg

-Biju
Old 10th November 2010, 15:47   #33
BHPian

It seems Biju you are making this a yearly affair - Pune-Indore-Pune. Nice photo that one on NH3 with mountain in backdrop.

Post some photos of Indore. I'd been to the city as a kid. Would be a refresher for me.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 10:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default Indore - Pune

Pune-Indore
  • Date: Monday, 8-Nov-2010
  • Vehicle: Maruti Swift VXi (2006 model)
  • Route Taken: Indore-Burhanpur-Muktainagar-Bodvad-Jamner-Pahur-Aurangabad-Ahmadnagar-Pune
  • Departure: 4:47 a.m.
  • Arrival: 8:00 p.m.
  • Break Time: 2 hours 40 minutes (Breakfast, Lunch, nature breaks, fuel break, railway crossings, tea)
  • Driving Time: 12 hours 33 minutes (It took us 1 hour to cross the stretch of 1 km in Ahmadnagar market/bus stand area)
  • Distance: 649.2 km
  • Average (Indore-Aurangabad): 17.07 kmpl
  • Average (Aurangabad-Pune): Not calculated yet as I have not refuelled.
Road Information
  • Indore-Burhanpur: Two-lane toll road. Excellent roads. Many speed breakers around villages and railway crossings. Two narrow bridges. Very little traffic.
  • Burhanpur-Bodvad: Two-lane road. Excellent roads. There is a small stretch of 1 km which is in rubbles. This always tends to be so. Very little traffic.
  • Bodvad-Jamner: Two-lane road. Road has sunk in at many places. One needs to be very careful on this stretch. Very little traffic.
  • Jamner-Pahur: Two-lane road. Broken surface. Some potholes. Very little traffic.
  • Pahur-Aurangabad: Around 70 km have broken surfaces. No bit potholes. Two railway crossings with speed breakers. Last 30 km is in good condition.
  • Aurangabad City (CIDCO-Jalna road): Flyover under construction on the Jalna road. There is no bypass for Aurangabad. You can go via station towards the Pune road or via the Jalna road. I always take the Jalna road since I have my lunch at Naivedya Thali or at Laadli and also fill up petrol from the HP pump on the Jalna road near CIDCO.
  • Aurangabad-Ahmadnagar: Excellent Four-laned toll road. Average traffic.
  • Ahmadnagar: Good roads but bad traffic. It took us 1 hour to cross the 1 km stretch infront of the bus stand/market area. This after police was trying to control the traffic. Again no bypass.
  • Ahmadnagar-Pune: Four-laned toll road except for one small stretch near Nagar which I guess is not going to be Four-laned. Anyone knows why? Roads are excellent. Some tight corners where you have to be careful.
For Pune-Indore-Pune, I would prefer this route to NH3. There is very little traffic while going and while coming you have Four-laned roads till Pune unlike the Two-laned Nashik-Pune road. I hope the sections between Aurangabad and Bodvad will be repaired soon.

The thousands of trucks on NH3 can put you off if you take that route. However once the entire stretch is four-laned, it would be a good route to go to Indore. While returning the route will not be good because of the Pune-Nashik two-laned road. An option that can be explored is Indore-Dhule-Aurangabad-Pune which gives you four-laned roads at the start and at the end. I am not sure about the condition of the roads between Dhule and Aurangabad which is about 140 km long.

The only disadvantage with Indore-Burhanpur-Aurangabad-Pune route is that there is almost no place to eat your breakfast. There are a couple of small joints/hotels near Burhanpur bus stand that will serve Poha, Vada etc. in the morning. If you are a little late (say around 9:30 a.m. etc.) there is another hotel where you could breakfast just after the Burhanpur bus stand on the right hand side of the road.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 11th November 2010 at 10:30.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
It seems Biju you are making this a yearly affair - Pune-Indore-Pune. Nice photo that one on NH3 with mountain in backdrop.

Post some photos of Indore. I'd been to the city as a kid. Would be a refresher for me.
Yes it looks like a yearly affair for now.

Unfortunately I did not click any pictures of the city. During my next trip I will get plenty of pictures of the city for you.

Anyway here is one more picture - of the rising sun along the Indore-Burhanpur road.
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-sunrise.jpg
Old 12th November 2010, 12:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Pune-Indore
  • Route Taken: Indore-Burhanpur-Muktainagar-Bodvad-Jamner-Pahur-Aurangabad-Ahmadnagar-Pune
For Pune-Indore-Pune, I would prefer this route to NH3.-Biju
- Could not have agreed more.
- How long is Burhanpur-Pahur?
- There is a good restaurant immediately after Shahapur on the right side(Anand?).
- In general - the country side 2 laned in MH are not as smooth as it used be couple of years ago.
naren_gs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 13:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
- Could not have agreed more.
- How long is Burhanpur-Pahur?
- There is a good restaurant immediately after Shahapur on the right side(Anand?).
- In general - the country side 2 laned in MH are not as smooth as it used be couple of years ago.
Burhanpur-Pahur is around 100 km. (Need to check my logs to get the exact distance)
I will look out for this restaurant in Shahpur next time.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:36   #38
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I loved the route you took pjbiju as I took that on return from Omkareshwar. Pity I saw a dead bear on the road near the forest towards burhanpur.
And it gets a bit rankling through ahmed nagar and aurangabad. I should pull up my gps logs too to see how it was when I did it.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 15:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I loved the route you took pjbiju as I took that on return from Omkareshwar.
And it gets a bit rankling through ahmed nagar and aurangabad.
1) Burhanpur-KhandwaBP road is beuatiful and peaceful. Kids also love the many twists and turns!
2) Byapssing Aurangabad is not that challenging. If one has to cross onto Jalgaon road, avoid Jalna road/CIDCO. Instead take the route via Bus stand which eventually joins at Harsul naka on the Jalgaon road.

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 12th November 2010 at 15:53.
Old 12th November 2010, 16:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Burhanpur-Pahur is around 100 km. (Need to check my logs to get the exact distance)
I will look out for this restaurant in Shahpur next time.
1) Thanks - I normally go via Jalgaon and that comes to around 675 kms. Via Jamener should be around 365+100+190=655 - not much of a difference.
2) I am sure ther would be many other good restaurants - dhabas on this stretch - after all this is an ancient major route connecting north west to south. It is just that we normally are in a hurry and can not explore. Such discussions would help us identify good options.

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 12th November 2010 at 16:09.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default re: "Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3

I did Pune-Indore-Pune once again. Here is an update on this route.

Pune-Indore
  • Date: Saturday, 10-Nov-2012
  • Vehicle: Maruti Swift VXi (2006 model)
  • Route Taken: Pune-Sangamner-Zagade Phata-Kopargaon-Malegoan-Dhule-Indore
  • Departure: 5:00 a.m.
  • Arrival: 5:00 p.m.
  • Break Time: 2 hours (Breakfast, Lunch, nature breaks, fuel break etc.)
  • Driving Time: 10 hours
  • Distance: 584.6 km
  • Average Fuel Consumption: 15.54 kmpl
  • Toll Paid: Rs. 396

Road Information
  • Indore-Chakan: Four-lane toll road. Excellent road.
  • Chakan-Sangamner: Two-lane road. Once you leave the toll road, the road surface is quite bad for a few km. There are no large potholes, but the road surface is very rough and will rattle the car like crazy. After a few km, the road is good.
  • Sangamner-Kopargoan: Two-lane toll road. Road is a little bad until you turn off from the Sangamner-Babaleshwar road. After that good roads. Roads around Kopargaon is not in good shape. But luckily that is a short stretch of around 12 km.
  • Kopargoan-Malegaon: Two-lane road. Beautiful roads all the way to NH3 at Malegaon.
  • Malegaon-Indore: Four-lane toll road i.e., NH3. Beautiful road all the way to Indore. A lot of speed breakers/rumble strips along NH3.

Indore-Pune
  • Date: Friday, 23-Nov-2012
  • Route Taken: Indore-Dhule-Malegaon-Kopargaon-Shirdi-Ahmadnagar-Pune
  • Departure: 5:10 a.m.
  • Arrival: 5:10 p.m.
  • Break Time: 1 hour 50 minutes (Breakfast, Lunch, nature breaks, fuel break etc.)
  • Driving Time: 10 hours 10 minutes
  • Distance: 615.6 km
  • Average Fuel Consumption: 15.84 kmpl
  • Toll Paid: Rs. 478

Road Information:
  • Road conditions were as given above until Kopargaon.
  • Kopargaon-Ahmadnagar: Around 45km from Kopargaon to Kolhar is quite bad. After that good four-lane toll road to Ahmadnagar.
  • Ahmadnagar-Pune: Four-lane toll road. Good roads all the way to Pune.

The road from Sangamner to Kopargaon is shown below.
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-sangamnerkopargaon.png

Somewhere before Sangamner we lost about 30 minutes because of an accident. The accident had blocked one of the lanes of Pune-Nashik road. Luckily, the people from the accident vehicle were managing the traffic. And most of the folks were patient enough to wait in their lane. There were some still who tried to cross over and get ahead. Luckily better sense prevailed in the few and they almost got off the road to make way for the oncoming traffic. Since the roads around that section were elevated, had the impatient ones blocked the other lane, we would have been caught in a very bad jam.

Not sure how this accident would have happened.
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-photo0273.jpg

"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-photo0274.jpg

I guess one of these trailers wanted to hug the other.
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-photo0275.jpg

The leaning tower of Pisa moving along the road
"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-photo0281.jpg

"Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3-photo0282.jpg

Sorry about the bad picture quality taken with the Nokia Asha 200.

on NH3, you will still find vehicles coming towards you along the fast lane in your side of the road. So be careful about overtaking.

At some of the small ghat sections, you will find trucks driving at 10kmph occupying both the lanes. I had to get off onto the shoulders to get past some of these pairs.

Given below is a list of speed breakers/rumble strip locations along the Indore-Pune route. I have missed a few (there may have been at least 10 more)

Distance in km From Palasia Chowk (0.0 km)
  1. 7.4
  2. 7.7
  3. 10.6
  4. 10.7
  5. 13.2
  6. 14.2
  7. 15.6
  8. 62.8
  9. 62.9
  10. 63.1
  11. 63.5
  12. 63.6
  13. 64.0
  14. 64.2
  15. 64.4
  16. 64.8
  17. 172.4
  18. 173.5
  19. 173.9
  20. 174.4
  21. 186.8
  22. 193.6
  23. 202.6
  24. 203.5
  25. 205.5
  26. 208.1
  27. 209.4
  28. 214.4
  29. 223.6
  30. 229.7
  31. 234.4
  32. 239.9
  33. 240.4
  34. 242.5
  35. 245.6
  36. 251.1
  37. 254.7
  38. 257.9
  39. 261.8
  40. 264.3
  41. 268.2
  42. 271.5
  43. 272.2
  44. 291.4
  45. 295.0
  46. 329.9
  47. 365.6
  48. 365.8
  49. 365.9
  50. 366.0
  51. 372.9
  52. 373.3
  53. 373.5
  54. 374.1
  55. 374.5
  56. 374.9
  57. 384.6
  58. 384.8
  59. 400.5
  60. 517.6
  61. 586.9
-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 18th December 2012 at 12:49.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:01   #42
BHPian

Default Re: "Pune-Indore-Pune: 2012 Nov trip report on Page 3

Quote:
I did Pune-Indore-Pune once again. Here is an update on this route.
hi Biju - got a request, if you can help out and suggest what is the best route from Pune to Bhopal. I have listed 3 routes as travelled by you and other folks also so far:-

Route A: Pune > Ahmadnagar > Malegaon > Bhopal (total cum km 819, est time 13 hr 58 min)

Route B: Pune > Sangamner > Malegaon > Bhopal (total cum km 784, est time 13 hr 14 min)

Route C: Pune > Nasik (central Jail rd) > Malegaon > Bhopal (total cum km 824, est time 13 hr 20 min)

I have put up a similar request in the "road updates thread" but came across your message and hence thought of putting up here also.

I will be travelling next month with family, if thats any consideration and would be aiming for a 5 am start.

Thanks.

Note from Support: Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Also please avoid copy pasting from word/text editors. Several [font] [color] tags in your post have now been corrected.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th January 2013 at 08:37.
JoshMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 07:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
hi Biju - got a request, if you can help out and suggest what is the best route from Pune to Bhopal. I have listed 3 routes as travelled by you and other folks also so far:-

Route A: Pune > Ahmadnagar > Malegaon > Bhopal (total cum km 819, est time 13 hr 58 min)
Route B: Pune > Sangamner > Malegaon > Bhopal (total cum km 784, est time 13 hr 14 min)
Route C: Pune > Nasik (central Jail rd) > Malegaon > Bhopal (total cum km 824, est time 13 hr 20 min)

I have put up a similar request in the "road updates thread" but came across your message and hence thought of putting up here also.
I will be travelling next month with family, if thats any consideration and would be aiming for a 5 am start.
Between Route B & Route C, I would prefer Route B since you do not have to travel all the way to Nashik since 4-lane work for around 35km from Nashik is still in progress.

Between Route B & Route A, you can take anyone. In fact I might suggest Route A since you can reach Nagar quickly using the 4-lane road. You will have to put up with the bad section between Kolhar and Kopargaon. May be it is repaired by now - it would be good, if you can check with someone who has travelled to Shirdi during Jan 2013.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 12:29   #44
BHPian

Josh Machine,

Had travelled to Indore in first week of Jan. Took the Nagar Shirdi Manmad, Dhule route.
As mentioned by biju, road near Shirdi is bad, but I would say still managable.

Left Pune (residence ) at 4:45 AM, reached Indore around 3 pm, with 1 hour halt for Lunch at Foodie after Sendhwa. Max speed was around 90 but that too for very few stretches.

If you start around 5 should be able to reach Bhopal by evening
mm403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 09:54   #45
BHPian

Thanks Biju, MM403 - appreciate your help.

@MM403 - could you share any more details for your trip like availability of restaurants, petrol pumps availability etc. on the way? Also did you notice any unusual route conditions like major diversions, road works - anything which I need to consider during the trip?

Thanks again.
JoshMachine is offline   Reply With Quote