Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st April 2009, 14:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
This is similar to the elephant behavior in Bannerghatta/Melagiri tract. The reason is that these are high MAC (man animal conflict) zones. The elephants, with their wonderful memory, know that this tract is high MAC zone and are irritable. The same elephants when they enter any wild life sanctuary, they are at peace as they know they are in a sanctuary.
Anyways, just a theory based on elephants behaviour. Only if some one knows elephant language will the actual truth come out.
You could possibly be right. I dont think any one can have the memories elephants have. My feeling is that Muthunga possibly must be having the highest number of vehicles going inside the sanctuary (disregarding the Bandipur - Gudalur & Bathery - Gundlupet road which most animals have come used to). During vacations & weekends you have anywhere close to 15 Jeeps making atleast 4 trips a day, add the numerous private vehicles which are allowed inside as well, you have a classic case of a full fledged encroachment which adds to the irritablity of elephants. Also with the population density Kerala has I doubt if you could find a forest area which is not under MAC (with possible exceptions in Silent Valley and parts of Periyar tiger reserve)
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 15:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
This is similar to the elephant behavior in Bannerghatta/Melagiri tract. The reason is that these are high MAC (man animal conflict) zones. The elephants, with their wonderful memory, know that this tract is high MAC zone and are irritable. The same elephants when they enter any wild life sanctuary, they are at peace as they know they are in a sanctuary.
Anyways, just a theory based on elephants behaviour. Only if some one knows elephant language will the actual truth come out.
Most the female elephants turn violent if they have baby among them. The bay always due to their curiosity try to come closer to the vehicles that raises the alarm of the female elephants. In this case that was the case.

Single male elephants are pissed off as they have their ego hurt after being thrown out of the herd via a fight with male elephant of the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Perhaps they belong to the 'party', hence their natural reaction to any sign of progress (in this case, a vehicle) would be to destroy it.
Ha ha, that was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
You could possibly be right. I dont think any one can have the memories elephants have. My feeling is that Muthunga possibly must be having the highest number of vehicles going inside the sanctuary (disregarding the Bandipur - Gudalur & Bathery - Gundlupet road which most animals have come used to). During vacations & weekends you have anywhere close to 15 Jeeps making atleast 4 trips a day, add the numerous private vehicles which are allowed inside as well, you have a classic case of a full fledged encroachment which adds to the irritablity of elephants. Also with the population density Kerala has I doubt if you could find a forest area which is not under MAC (with possible exceptions in Silent Valley and parts of Periyar tiger reserve)
Even with such high frequent trips, its one of the best kept reserves where people and forest officials work together to preserve wildlife.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 18:39   #18
BHPian

The video of the second group of elephants crossing after making sure we were at a safe distance.

Old 1st April 2009, 22:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Single male elephants are pissed off as they have their ego hurt after being thrown out of the herd via a fight with male elephant of the group.
Not true. The boss of an elephant herd is always a female. Males, when they get to age will be chased away by the females, to prevent inbreeding.
Males fight male only for winning a female. Makhnas, without tusks are at a disadvantage and are more aggressive by nature (as seen in the video)
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:16   #20
BHPian

Some more photos. This is the second gang that we saw. and also are photos of the dogs having their fresh kill, we just missed it by seconds. It was a deer that they hunted down.
Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2009, 12:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics sir. Btw, I read Mutungha as Matunga (being in Mumbai the former sounded like a typo error to me!)
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Nice pics sir. Btw, I read Mutungha as Matunga (being in Mumbai the former sounded like a typo error to me!)
Vast country, similar names will exist.

Some more photos, of the bull, male baby elephant and some wild dogs.
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2009, 13:10   #23
BHPian

WIld dogs having dear hot meal.

Old 6th April 2009, 14:09   #24
BHPian

Some more random photos from my album...
Attached Thumbnails
Muthanga - Elephants, Buffalos, Deers & a Bear.-dsc00486.jpg  

Muthanga - Elephants, Buffalos, Deers & a Bear.-dsc00487.jpg  

Muthanga - Elephants, Buffalos, Deers & a Bear.-dscf2144.jpg  

Muthanga - Elephants, Buffalos, Deers & a Bear.-dscf2194.jpg  

Muthanga - Elephants, Buffalos, Deers & a Bear.-dscf2264.jpg  

Muthanga - Elephants, Buffalos, Deers & a Bear.-dscf2278.jpg  

Muthanga - Elephants, Buffalos, Deers & a Bear.-dscf2319.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th April 2009, 21:27   #25
BHPian

Some more photoss.
Attached Images

Old 13th April 2009, 21:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Its such a majestic sight to see! I remember seeing over 20 elephants walking together at Kabini, that had me clicking away(didn't have a digital cam,so I ended up finishing a 36-photo roll in under 3-4 minutes).
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote