Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st March 2009, 10:25   #1
BHPian

Default Bird watching....but only the feathered kind only

A trip to ranganthittu had been on my mind for some time now so the last weekend came as welcome break and a great opportunity to drive out. The initial plans were to ride out on my Dio since I had not used it for a long drive for quite some time and the car was not really in highway condition since the accident in November. The better half was however a little unwilling and would not say it in as many words as she did in subtle hints about her reluctance to go on the bike. Asked a couple of friends if they’d be interested but since everybody was either already out of town on the long weekend or was busy with other stuff it boiled down to just the two of us

Come Saturday morning, we woke up and decided to go by car finally and so with a prayer on our lips we hopped into the car, filled the tank and made our way out to NICE road and then hit Mysore road. Kept the speeds at a constant 60-80 and the car did just fine and we got nostalgic about the long frequent drives we’ve had in it before the accident. Anyways, we did the 100 odd kms non stop and two hours later we were at Ranganthittu. Initially I was blown away by the crowd since I’ve never seen this place so full in the last 5-6 times that I have been to this place but then remembered that it was a holiday weekend for everybody and hence the mad rush.

As is customary every time I’ve been there we went down for a walk through the entire length of the park and then a boat ride. The park was teeming with not just human population but the variety of birds was also mind blowing. We asked the boatman who said that the nesting season had just begun and hence the crazy rush of birds to the park and then proceeded to tell us where each variety of bird had migrated from which surprisingly was from as far as Switzerland and Siberia. Amazing how these birds can migrate year on year from such distances. Honestly I don’t remember the variety and names of the birds that he showed us but was just awestruck with the hues and shapes and sizes that they came in.

Finished the boat ride in 20 minutes and once back on terra firma the boatman told us that at 500 bucks a boat they could arrange for an hour long ride where he would take the boat further than they take a normal ride. Hint Hint!!! Next meet, Bangalore bhpians listening

Anyways finished the ride, hopped in the car and with a pit stop at CCD maddur we were back at home by 5:00PM

Pics to follow...

Name:  IMG_3410.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3412.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  169.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3419.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3416.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3407.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  139.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3422.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3401.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  142.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3399.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  175.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3384.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3382.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  63.1 KB
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Birds do migrate very long distances. (I wonder where they rest when flying over the sea? )

Nice pictures (But a better camera is needed for Bird watching!). Please do post more.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:25   #3
BHPian

For birdwatching binoculars and spotting scopes are more suitable. Photographing birds is a different subject altogether.

Nice shots of the mugger crocodile.

Last edited by PraveenM : 31st March 2009 at 13:27. Reason: comment onthe photos first post
PraveenM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Yes, Birds do migrate very long distances. (I wonder where they rest when flying over the sea? )

Nice pictures (But a better camera is needed for Bird watching!). Please do post more.
apparently when they fly over the sea they have been known not to rest for days together

as far as the camera is concerned, i have a canon s3is and am in the process of upgrading to a dslr so hopefully next trip would have better snaps
Old 31st March 2009, 14:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
apparently when they fly over the sea they have been known not to rest for days together

as far as the camera is concerned, i have a canon s3is and am in the process of upgrading to a dslr so hopefully next trip would have better snaps
These are some of the groups you might be interested in...

india-nature-pixs@yahoogroups.com
bpc_2k4@yahoogroups.co.in
bangaloreshutterbugs@yahoogroups.com
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 00:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics,Perez. I tried a hand at taking pics of birds the last time I went to Ranganathittu,but thanks to heavy rain nothing was possible.
Any more pics to follow?
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 09:21   #7
BHPian

Thanks Nitin, its really futile to go in the rains cause once the water level reaches a particular height they stop the boating as well so you really dont get a close look at them as well.

As far as the other snaps are concerned, the ones i've posted are te best of the lot so didnt take the trouble of uploading the rest
Old 1st April 2009, 09:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice one day trip Perez, glad the Phoenix did the drive without hassle.
When do we get to see snaps thro the DSLR?
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Nice one day trip Perez, glad the Phoenix did the drive without hassle.
When do we get to see snaps thro the DSLR?
Thanks Hari, hopefully will buy the DLSR towards June july since most of my moolah now is going to go in organising for my langkawi trip next month
Old 1st April 2009, 12:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

A trip to India Nature Watch is definitely your next stop. There are a few members here who are members there as well. I hope you know the names of the birds that you clicked. The first one is a pond heron, the others are Asian Openbilled Storks.

Sudipto
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote