Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th April 2009, 21:19   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Many of the Hoysala temples are Trikuta - Belvadi, Javagallu, Haranhalli, et al.
And which one has the staircase to go to the roof of the temple? We have been to, but memory failing.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 21:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
And which one has the staircase to go to the roof of the temple? We have been to, but memory failing.
Belvadi has. But I believe the staircase was not part of the original plan and has been built afterwards.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 21:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is amazing travelogue hotstuff. You have colletced great information and congrats to post very useful stuffs here.

Ravi.

PS your every thread deserve 5 star rating! for details report.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 01:44   #34
BHPian

Brilliant HotStuff!!! I would have to go over this one more time. The Turuvekere temples bought back a lot of memories for me. That is my native
bluestraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 02:50   #35
BHPian

This is one exceedingly well done post. Some of the photos could use a description. and seond page took too much time loadin images and scrolling each time. Mods try moving most images to a gallery.
I ended up spending two hours reading about hoysalas and vijayanagar temples on wiki after I hit this thread.

This map you have come up with is the best deal, I will end up spending two to three weekends on this in the next couple of months.
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 22:16   #36
BHPian

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
@hotstuff... i'm dumb founded by the amount of carvings on the walls of these temples... splendid pics... thanks for sharing... plan to do this trip some day!

Ramki.
- Thanks Ramki, photos don't do any justice to these places. You'll certainly enjoy your visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Fantastic stuff hotstuff.

I have not seen such a detailed travelog on Hoysala temples. Wonderful photos.

Also, appreciate that you did not skip any temple because it is locked.

But the title of this blog is confusing me. Did you miss anything?
- Thanks BomBatt. About the 'incomplete guide', my first thought was to cover all the 15 places mentioned in a book titled 'A complete guide to Hoysala Temples by Gerard Foekema' - which was recommended by @akbaree. However we dropped Amritapura & Basaralu from the list, but added 4 other places instead. Since the book is named a complete guide... I thought I should call this write-up an 'incomplete guide'... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Cool pics man. Hats off to your visits to the ancient places. It is just brushing us of our memories of what we have learnt in school days. And the comparision in your first post is amazing. Sad to note that some of the temples are really in a bad shape. No care takers. Does these locked temples belong to ASI?
- Most of the temples are under ASI, some others (the live temples, which were locked) are under the 'Muzrai' dept. The priests at these places often double up as caretakers & guides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
This is amazing travelogue hotstuff. You have colletced great information and congrats to post very useful stuffs here.
Ravi...
- Thanks Ravi, appreciate your feedback and comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Brilliant HotStuff!!! I would have to go over this one more time. The Turuvekere temples bought back a lot of memories for me. That is my native
- @bluestraveller, Turuvekere was the first place we visited on our trip.. and as I have mentioned in the post, the people were extremely warm and hospitable... though we were complete strangers, the family that had the keys called us in, offered us refreshments and gave us the keys to the temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
This is one exceedingly well done post. Some of the photos could use a description. and seond page took too much time loadin images and scrolling each time. Mods try moving most images to a gallery.
I ended up spending two hours reading about hoysalas and vijayanagar temples on wiki after I hit this thread.

This map you have come up with is the best deal, I will end up spending two to three weekends on this in the next couple of months.
- Thanks @marlinspike, feel free to ping me if you need any info. Have noted your comments on the 'description' aspect for all pics, I guess I was a little lazy . Will try and add in comments for all important pics in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
P.S. Do you think a person/group with no local language skill can take up this trip? (In light of communication needed for directions and/or opening the temple and/or to know the history?)....
- Should not be a problem at all... people (the priests/guides/caretakers) in most of these places can communicate in bits and pieces of Hindi & English.
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 18:50   #37
BHPian

Talking A BIG BIG ThankU

I stumbled upon this wonderful log while searching some info on Halebeedu.Amazing research and wondeful pictures bro. I never knew there were so many temples near by Halebeedu.

You have indeed a great deal of interest and zeal to undertake such a journey.

Majority of the temples look in good shape and are nicely maintained including the lawns and gardens. I have been to many lesser known temples in Tamilnadu and those were not maintained properly.

The panaromic pictures of all the temples are wondeful. You old vs new pics comparison was just too good. Initiallly I thought it was the same image uploaded in black and white vs colour. Such was the resemblance.

One more observation, in majority of the cases, how have you managed to take pics without any crowd (except ofcourse your better half).

Thanks for sharing and making many more people aware of such rich heritage of India. long live.
arunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:40   #38
BHPian

Smile Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
I stumbled upon this wonderful log while searching some info on Halebeedu...
@arunu; Thank you for your comments and appreciation. Most of the credit should go to @akbaree whose thread was the foundation on which we built our trip. (Link below.)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-temples.html (A Visit to Hoysala Temples)
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:59   #39

Hey hotstuff - Just finished reading this travelogue of yours and found it very nice indeed. You guys have done a thorough and complete job exploring all these Hoysala temples. Don't think I know of too many people who would so meticulously explore when traveling including to these smaller 'off the beaten path' temples like you guys did. Thanks!
avinashpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashpai View Post
Hey hotstuff - Just finished reading this travelogue of yours and found it very nice indeed. You guys have done a thorough and complete job exploring all these Hoysala temples. Don't think I know of too many people who would so meticulously explore when traveling including to these smaller 'off the beaten path' temples like you guys did. Thanks!
Actually, I have lived in Hassan for half my life and have never visited any of these 'smaller, off the beaten path' temples although I have passed through almost all of the places listed here in this travelogue.

Kudos to you, hotstuff. You have brought out what the government should have done ages ago.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote