Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th April 2009, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Cool BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR

Hi Folks,

Just returned from a good weekend trip. For a long time wanted to drive the Kalasa/Kudremukh range. It was a fabulous experience for me and my family.

First of all, thanks for T-BHP where I got most of the information and the route.

Plan was to visit Belur-Halebid on DAY1 and proceed to Kalasa for Sringeri/Horanadu on DAY2.

Called up Yathri Nivas, Kalasa to book for 2 families. My family and my brothers as well.

DAY1:

Bangalore-Belur-Kalasa: 400kms

Left Bangalore at 7am headed towards Mysore Road - Tumkur Road NICE stretch. This has really improved our traffic free drive.

On the way, we had breakfast at Hotel Mayura near Yediyur.
This time I had a good chase-race with AUDI Q7 enroute till Chennarayapatna. Mine was a small Indica XETA. But, still it was worth the race.

Reached Hassan at 10.30am. Took first visit to Halebid. This was a wonderful experience to view such a marvelous structure.
Spent around 1.5 hrs in Halebid and proceeded to Belur. The whole temple floors were burning. We were barely able to walk 5-8 steps.
Once, we entered the temple it was so cool and serene. We loved each and every craft. Kids really liked the lake and the park.

After our architecture temple visit, we started proceeding to Kalasa.
Route I took Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa. Most of the road was drivable. However, in between around 25kms the road was bad. Total distance covered was 70kms in 2hrs. But, the vegetation/scenary were all at its best. We came across lot of tea/coffee estates.
However, I heard we can take one more route from Belur-Chickmaglur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Kalasa. This is little longer route but, road is very good.

Reached Kalasa at 5.30pm. Checked-in the Yatri Nivas. In the evening, we visited the Kalaseshvara Temple. Weather was nice to stay overnight.

DAY 2:

Kalasa-Sringeri-Bangalore-400kms
Checked-out hotel at 9am. We decided to first visit Sringeri. Then, we will come to Horanadu for having lunch. Leave Horanadu around 2.30pm and reach Bangalore around 10pm.

Headed towards Sringeri. I took the S.K Border-Kudremuch Sanctury-Sringeri route. It is exactly 75 kms in 2hrs. The whole trip inside Kudremukh range was awesome. I would love to drive again in this stretch.

Reached Sringeri at 11am. Visited the Sharadamba Temple/VidyaShankar temple. Luckily, we were also able to see the Swamiji for the final pooja.
Kids had some fun with feeding pooris to fish. Since, most of us were hungry, we had lunch in Sringeri itself.

Now, I wanted to take Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Kalasa route.
Started at 1.30pm towards Horanadu. I wanted to take the similar route used by KKB, the local Bus Service. The road was very good. In between Jayapura and Balehonnur, we missed the direction. Asked one of the local folks to reach Horanadu. He suggested us to take a short cut to reach Horanadu from Jayapura. As suggested we took a short route. The road was very bad.
This route goes into the dense rain forest inside Kudremukh/Balehonnur range. All the while, we were hearing birds chirping/monkeys screaming sounds. At one point, we were feared out of our nerves.
After 1hr of drive we felt atleast we would have passed around 20kms. When, we came across of the milestones, we found out that we crossed only 8kms after lot of turns inside this jungle. No sign of vehicles. We only saw few tribal people walking.

At one point, we got scared and the road turned from bad to worst. I am still amazed as to why i took this route.

It was almost 3pm in the afternoon. Because of dense forest, the weather was like evening. Since, we had kids along and it may take another 2hrs to reach Horanadu; we decided to turn back to find State Highway and back to Bangalore.

While returning back, at some point we saw a small board giving direction to Balehonnur. From that point it was 19kms. It was a great relief for me. We took this route. Reach Balehonnur in an hour. Hit the Balehonnur-Chickmaglur stretch.

Reached Bangalore at 10pm and everybody went to bed.

Pictures to follow...
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 10:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good detailed travelogue there.
Still waiting for the pics.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:33   #3
BHPian

Nice travelogue. Waiting for the pics. Also some info on how your car performed.
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Nice write up and would be great to relate with pictures. Please post them.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 13:05   #5

I did the similar route last weekend !!! I had some work in Nanjangud, so went to nanjanagudu from Bangalore. From there it was Nangangudu-K.R pura-Hassan(halt)-Halebeedu-belur-Mudigere-Kalasa-Hornadu(halt)-Jayapura-sringeri
I took the same route from Hornadu-jayapura-sringeri !!! I totally agree, it was scary and pretty bad but i reached sringeri safely on my swift zxi [started at 6:30am from horanadu, reached sringeri at 9am]...

Cheers
Pradeep
pradeepmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 13:33   #6
BHPian

Hi Blackstallion,

Just wanted to check, from Mysore Road to NICE road and onto Tumkur Road, should we hit the end of NICE road after the TOLL to hit Tumkur road or is there is a deviation before/ after the Toll.
jacobgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 13:47   #7
BHPian

Nice write up but yes, where are the pics ??
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 13:51   #8
BHPian

Anup,

I have Indica XETA GLS 1.2 2008 Model. I have done earlier outstation trips to Tirupathi, Chickmaglur, Kemmanagundi, Ooty. The car has performed as expected in long drives.

I normally drive atleast 500km once in 2months out of Bangalore. This time, I had touched 120 speeds and the car was without vibrations and was smooth.

Mileage:
Long Drives: 17-18kmpl (50% AC)
City Drives: 12kmpl (50% AC)

The car lacks the instant power when needed and also the wheel diameter. Otherwise, it is giving me excellent performance till date. (touch wood).
Old 8th April 2009, 14:43   #9
BHPian

jacodgeorge,

From Mysore to NICE Road, there is a left deviation clearly mentioned direction. This is just below the NICE-OverBridge.
From NICE Road to Tumkur Road, there is a left deviation clearly mentioned. No need to hit the end of the road.

Now, they have cleared-off the short cuts and put clear road deviations.

Please see the sign boards before you take any deviation.
Old 8th April 2009, 19:17   #10
BHPian

Pictures as below...
Attached Thumbnails
BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR-img_2535.jpg  

BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR-img_2554.jpg  

BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR-img_2559.jpg  

BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR-img_2561.jpg  

BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR-img_2581.jpg  

BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR-img_2617.jpg  

BLR-Belur-Halebid-Kalasa-Sringeri-Chikmaglur-BLR-img_2662.jpg