Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:38   #271
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palakkad, Keral
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 362 Times
Arrow

This is a special sitution where the Owner of the car stands to loose about 1.5 to 2 L in a write off. Even otherwise, there would be incidential expenses due to the accident of abouto 20-30K in this case.

Deciding to share this wold be difficult as many co-passengers in a trip may not agree. Agreement on expenses like food, stay, fuel, small repairs etc., would be easy as normally done.

IMO before the trip it would be a good idea to discuss and agree on sharing ratios in case of accidents and major expenses so that there's not after-the-event heart-burns.

Another issue to agree clearly is the amount of driving each person would do; owners tend to drive all the way leaving the co-passengers bitter, angry and manupulated.

----
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:51   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Well i guess what i was saying has been put in a better way below by ramkya1. In our case the matter was always discussed before the trip and the result was an equal ratio for all.

But the only 3 options i can think of are -

1. Divide the expense equally
2. People driving during the trip pay equally
3. The guys driving while the accident happened pays alone.

But whatever option you choose do it before hand.

And remember this should never be a forced decision or else if something happens there will be a lot of problems. After all not point in doing a road trip at the cost of friendship.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
This is a special sitution where the Owner of the car stands to loose about 1.5 to 2 L in a write off. Even otherwise, there would be incidential expenses due to the accident of abouto 20-30K in this case.

Deciding to share this wold be difficult as many co-passengers in a trip may not agree. Agreement on expenses like food, stay, fuel, small repairs etc., would be easy as normally done.

IMO before the trip it would be a good idea to discuss and agree on sharing ratios in case of accidents and major expenses so that there's not after-the-event heart-burns.

Another issue to agree clearly is the amount of driving each person would do; owners tend to drive all the way leaving the co-passengers bitter, angry and manupulated.

----

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 23rd April 2009 at 13:53.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:00   #273
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
3. The guys driving while the accident happened pays alone.

But whatever option you choose do it before hand.

And remember this should never be a forced decision or else if something happens there will be a lot of problems. After all not point in doing a road trip at the cost of friendship.
Last is wrong. Because of two cases:
a. Other person may not be able (assuming he's a young professional without much savings) to foot that bill
b. Sometimes its just BAD luck and say a truck breaks the red light and rams you sideways - then the driver was not to blame.
c. it leaves the owner hanging and waiting for cash without a ride while waiting!

To give two examples, I normally do share most regular expenses with co-passengers, and tend to give driving only in limited areas (my style of driving and desire for control are such only) where I'm comfortable. All known up front to avoid any issues.

In this case, while picking up tirthankar, I was actually relieved to have him - because he's a known highway cruiser who was coming quite rested AND that he drives safer/slower than me was good. Courtesy him, we reached Gurgaon about 2 hours ahead of schedule (I would've otherwise pulled over somewhere for napping) and saved on fuel as well. I did not share any expenses with him in this case (@BT: apologies if in case the money i'd left for tolls had fallen short) because him being there was a help to me and frankly sharing ~50p for ~250-300km is irrelevant for the help he was.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:13   #274
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

Another issue to agree clearly is the amount of driving each person would do; owners tend to drive all the way leaving the co-passengers bitter, angry and manupulated.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
+1 to everything he says. Though of course, if there's a contribution from the other person, good. But the owner's liability is always higher since he is taking his vehicle along consciously.
Personally if I'm on long trip driving someone else's car I would not take the liberties in terms of speeds and overtaking as I would on my own vehicle as it would be there on the back of my mind that "its someone else's car and If something happens I would be liable for it".

Two case in point that have happened to me.
1. I took one of my colleague's bike to go somewhere and when the police stopped and asked for papers, I learnt that the owner doesn't have insurance and PUC. And on top of that he doesn't have a DL as well. Showed my DL to cops, paid the fine (you know what) and got out. If it was US/UK/ Europe, I would have just told them to serve notice on the owner and would have carried on. Now the question is who is liable for the above? Technically its the owner but I guess when I decided to ride the bike, I'm liable for everything that happens while its in my possession whatever may be the scenario.
2. On one of my trip, my friend was driving my car. He tried to pull a overtaking stunt which could have lead to a head on collision with a bus. I got really pissed rebuked him but then the guy being a long time friend, couldn't scream or shout at him. So I got back on the driver's seat at the earliest opportunity and didn't switch again.

These two incidents have taught me that stick to your own wheels as much as possible. Also don't expect others to pay if something happens to your car.

Just my 2 Cents

Last edited by MileCruncher : 23rd April 2009 at 14:17.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:24   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Well it may be wrong as per your understanding, but someone else may want to do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Last is wrong. Because of two cases:
a. Other person may not be able (assuming he's a young professional without much savings) to foot that bill
b. Sometimes its just BAD luck and say a truck breaks the red light and rams you sideways - then the driver was not to blame.
c. it leaves the owner hanging and waiting for cash without a ride while waiting!

To give two examples, I normally do share most regular expenses with co-passengers, and tend to give driving only in limited areas (my style of driving and desire for control are such only) where I'm comfortable. All known up front to avoid any issues.

In this case, while picking up tirthankar, I was actually relieved to have him - because he's a known highway cruiser who was coming quite rested AND that he drives safer/slower than me was good. Courtesy him, we reached Gurgaon about 2 hours ahead of schedule (I would've otherwise pulled over somewhere for napping) and saved on fuel as well. I did not share any expenses with him in this case (@BT: apologies if in case the money i'd left for tolls had fallen short) because him being there was a help to me and frankly sharing ~50p for ~250-300km is irrelevant for the help he was.
I am not too sure if this is relevant here.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:34   #276
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Another case in point:
Say a person is sitting in someone else's car and the owner is driving. God forbid the car meets with a severe accident and the passenger is severely hurt. Whereas the owner is relatively safe. So does the owner/driver pays for the medication of the passenger? Or does the passenger still need to pay for the damages of the car by virtue of being a passenger of the vehicle.

P.s.: I suggest that we stop this discussion here only as this can only become murkier. Plus I feel that this is something that GSMINC and Arindam need to figure out in a private forum and not in public.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:40   #277
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

Yeah of course - its not something I would agree/enforce - didn't mean to intend it any other ways. From your perspective, what would be the rationale for someone to agree doing it as per point 3? Just wanted to understand your/that person's pov.

The examples are meant as an addendum to my previous post really ( bless the 20 min editing window!) not to our discussion of sharing of loss.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:42   #278
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palakkad, Keral
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 362 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Another ..................

P.s.: I suggest that we stop this discussion here only as this can only become murkier. Plus I feel that this is something that GSMINC and Arindam need to figure out in a private forum and not in public.
This is greyground to be sorted out by parties involved.

Let's get back on track to the topic of GQ Run...

@ Arindam: Where are the excel logs? Eagerly awaiting...

====
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:00   #279
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
P.s.: I suggest that we stop this discussion here only as this can only become murkier. Plus I feel that this is something that GSMINC and Arindam need to figure out in a private forum and not in public.
Thanks. I was about to suggest this. Arindam and GSMINC, please continue with your reports/pics/excel logs.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:07   #280
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,805
Thanked: 7,797 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
P.s.: I suggest that we stop this discussion here only as this can only become murkier. Plus I feel that this is something that GSMINC and Arindam need to figure out in a private forum and not in public.
Completely Agree. It is for them to sort it out and is a serious off topic for the forum.

Let us see the logs and rest of the photos. If in the logs if we can mark speed limits / care to be taken routes, it would be an added advantage.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:24   #281
BHPian
 
btirthankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Some Moving Vehicle
Posts: 816
Thanked: 115 Times
Question I feel we should have a separate thread for Cost Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
In this case, while picking up tirthankar, I was actually relieved to have him - because he's a known highway cruiser who was coming quite rested AND that he drives safer/slower than me was good. Courtesy him, we reached Gurgaon about 2 hours ahead of schedule (I would've otherwise pulled over somewhere for napping) and saved on fuel as well. I did not share any expenses with him in this case (@BT: apologies if in case the money i'd left for tolls had fallen short) because him being there was a help to me and frankly sharing ~50p for ~250-300km is irrelevant for the help he was.
I actually felt a bit relieved to get pay for few of the tolls, till I ran out of cash myself and had to wake you up. I still remain obliged to you for everything.

I had offered beforehand to pay up the GQ2 Team even before my joining was confirmed. I therefore incurred proportionate Fuel+Toll+F&B costs for the CCU-Kanpur stretch, though it was a gentleman's gesture from Arindam (who was of the opinion that I need not).

Coming to the Cost sharing topic, I feel we should have a separate thread. This may be unnecessarily stressing our 'two' already stressed out friends.
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:28   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

I Agree, but no harm in having a new thread for this discussion. I am sure it will make people aware of the issue and the importance of discussing it with co travellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Completely Agree. It is for them to sort it out and is a serious off topic for the forum.

Let us see the logs and rest of the photos. If in the logs if we can mark speed limits / care to be taken routes, it would be an added advantage.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:14   #283
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

When we go in a group we share the external expenses only. I am sure that is the case for other guys as well.
We donot count anything about the operations expenses of the car (general wear-tear, tyres, oils etc ) and most importantly I am the driver in the entire trip. Similar in the case of accident, I being the driver/owner (who took this risk to take his own car) will take up the costs (which comes under operations expense). And yes, the costs like police, tow-truck should be shared (external costs) but not the car repair / write off costs.

The above statement is a general one and purely based on my personal opinion (what I would expect in my case). THere can be deviations in case to case basis and mutual.

Now lets leave this issue apart (nothing to be discussed online) and lets see some more pics and report.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 23rd April 2009 at 20:24.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 10:16   #284
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Guys, no offence meant but it seems like everyone is giving their opinions & then saying - "but let's not discuss it on this thread"

Can we now keep this thread for more pictures & the trip log please? Thanks everyone!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 10:32   #285
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guys, no offence meant but it seems like everyone is giving their opinions & then saying - "but let's not discuss it on this thread"

Can we now keep this thread for more pictures & the trip log please? Thanks everyone!
+1 to that, especially when we decided to bury the topic yesterday
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Useful tips on the Golden Quadrilateral tigerranch Route / Travel Queries 37 9th October 2017 23:38
Golden Quadrilateral in 2011 Rajesh1968 Route / Travel Queries 28 1st December 2016 18:33
Golden Quadrilateral ? Well Almost pkumar Travelogues 174 23rd April 2012 12:39
Golden Quadrilateral /PAN India "T-BHP Relay Meet" khan_sultan The Team-BHP Meet Section 356 9th April 2009 13:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks