Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th April 2009, 18:09   #1
Arrow Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty

How to reach Ooty: Bangalore – take SH17 to - Ramanagram – Chennapatna – Maddur – Mandya – Srirangapatnam - Mysore – take NH212 via ring road to - Nanjangud – Gundlupet - take NH67 to - Hangala - Bandipur – Mudumalai - Theppekaddu - take left after bridge to SH205 to - Masinagudi – Kalhatti - Ooty.

The Journey: We started at 8:30PM and reached Mysore at 1AM after a pitstop at McDonalds for post-dinner snacks. The delay was also as we were stopped thrice by the cops for complete vehicle search. Vivek and Yogesh were courteous as ever and gave us shelter for the night. Next day, when we finally left Mysore at 9AM after heavy breakfast at a local deli, I had estimated to reach Ooty by 1PM. The road till Gundlupet is pretty good but was so boring that my kid dosed off immediately. The road thereafter becomes NH67 and is potholed-to-non-existent for next 10kms.
We had expected to see some animals in Bandipur National Park and were not majorly disappointed as we saw some deer, elephants, peacock and ofcourse lots of monkeys! Just before we crossed over to Tamil Nadu, forest guards stopped us for complete vehicle check… 4th time in this journey! Cops again checked our papers/license on entering TN state and Madumalai Tiger Reserve. On seeking directions, the humble cop aptly asked us to take left onto a local road after 4kms instead of going straight on the longer NH67 and we heartily oblidged

This no name local road was a single lane road for the most part that runs thru the deep forest till the climb starts. The road climbs at an angle of around 35 degrees involving 36 hair raising hairpin bends. Initially I had to put my WagonR in gear 1 to make it chug along, but later on it took the load in gear 2 very easily. The best part of this stretch of journey was the steep drop in temperature and atm pressure that is amazingly huge to get noticed easily. We reached Ooty ahead of schedule at 12 Noon and were resting in our Hotel rooms by 12:30PM.

Road Condition:
- SH17: Excellent, 4 Lane, pothole free
- NH212: Average, 2 lane - 10kms between Gundlupet and Hangala is very bad
- Local Road: Good, 1 lane, steep climb and hairpin bends for around 10kms

Complete blog: Spontaneous Serendipity Ooty
si6ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 20:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

I feel this is your 1st post. Do post some of the pics of the trip. The road information is useful for others who are travelling.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 21:08   #3
Default Deja vu

I have done this trip upto Masinagudi so many times I have lost count. Seems like the road conditions remain the same since the last 6 years. Good info Si6ma for someone doing this trip. My best time upto Masinagudi is 5.5 hours.

Infact the bridge you have mentioned is for the Moyar river, the actual demarkation between Karnataka and Tamilnadu border, and apparently it was called the Mysore ditch it is used by Elephants for migration. Fantastic area to drive esp inside the National park.
downsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 12:49   #4

This is my first post here and was mostly a rip off from my personal blog... would try to include more info next time. Thanks for your comments!
si6ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 13:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

A picture is worth thousand words - wise men say. Without a single picture the narration becomes uninteresting.

A shot of that no-name local road via the deep forest would have made it so very wonderful..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote