Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2009, 21:55   #256
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Wonderful as usual. Enjoyed every word. Thank you Sam and Jenny.

I think the maids/servants trend is more a part of cities than villages. As young kids, my brothers and I had to help my parents with every household chore - drawing water from the neighbour's well since we had no well of our own, washing vessels, sweeping the courtyard and house, washing clothes, watering plants, collecting cashew nuts, plucking pepper corns etc. We mostly used to enjoy those things.

The kind of satisfaction you get while doing these things is priceless.

-Biju
Old 6th May 2009, 22:11   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
The kind of satisfaction you get while doing these things is priceless.
... and it simply makes you a better person ....
Old 6th May 2009, 22:26   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I heard that work started again when you reached Germany !
Hey, it was just finalising a certain job.
But I heard that everything was back in order on time for special guests again, too.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:38   #259
Senior - BHPian

took a while for me to realise that the pic of the hall and the kitchen was from your home in india,and not one of your trip pics!

sam and jenny, guess ur next thread should be on home renovation! seriously, it would give a lot of pointers to people making up/re-doing their houses/flats

more pics would be awesome
Old 6th May 2009, 22:57   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
took a while for me to realise that the pic of the hall and the kitchen was from your home in india,and not one of your trip pics!

sam and jenny, guess ur next thread should be on home renovation! seriously, it would give a lot of pointers to people making up/re-doing their houses/flats

more pics would be awesome
Maybe we will do that in a separate thread, lets see. Would be interesting though I guess as we do not have a typical Indian house. I had to listen to many "this is not possible here" and in the end all of the newly introduced things or ways of handling the household proved to be quite suitable, even for India.
Old 6th May 2009, 23:34   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I
P.S- And i Hope Sam she comes back to India soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Jenny, Come back soon. Sam is gonna miss you a lot.
Thanks guys, she finally bought her ticket.

She comes back home next week.
Old 6th May 2009, 23:40   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Hey, the date was settled long back ago! You make it sound like I was going to stay here forever lol.
Old 7th May 2009, 00:11   #263
BHPian

Thanks Sam and Jenny for sharing this travelogue. Enjoyed it very much. This time, Jenny was more active and pitched in with her pictures and experiences. Thanks Jenny.

Sam, you are lucky to have a home in Europe. I have always liked Europe compared to other parts of the world. And what could be a better chance than to be at a town festival/market where you shot the last set of pictures, and see the town come alive. I specially liked the shot of that lady in white, admiring a set of purple flowers.
Old 7th May 2009, 05:16   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
When you buy a car you need to register it with the town you live in. You can only register it when you have insurance for it, too. Once you sell it the new owner has to register it - it gets a new licence plate then - and you automatically get de-registered. No more insurance to pay or taxes to the government (once a year). Is that any different in India?

Though I still have my Corsa, I de-registered it so I won't have to go on paying insurance and taxes for nothing. Of course, I can't drive it in that case either.
. In India the registration stays the same, just the owners name keeps changing on the RC book (if the person chooses to transfer to his/her name).

Unless, it goes to a different state, where you have to re-register. But then, this is India! Usually most people choose not to re-register even in a different state to save money.

I think Bombay registration is the most expensive in India.

Quote:
That's not theonly interesting thing about registration/deregistration.

A close friend of the Schöffel family rides a motorcycle. A Harley Softail, to be precise.

His story:

Germany only has motorcycle weather for a few months of the year. All-in-all you can ride your motorcycle for a max of 5 to 6 months. He would deregister the bike by October or November, taking the plates off etc and re-register it by March/April.
This way he would save on the road tax and insurance for 6 months of the year.

The Government - seeing the need for such a thing, came up with a convenient technique.

Today, in Germany you can choose to register your vehicle for certain months of the year in advance. The family friend chose to register his bike for 6 months, between April and October. He has a special plate with the months written at the bottom, which means that he can ride his bike on the road only between those months.
He pays half the tax, half the insurance. He has a registered bike for exactly 6 months. At the end of October, the bike automatically deregisters itself and it is therefore, illegal to ride it on a public road.
Come April, the bike is automatically re-registered.

You can even choose smaller periods of time and even a month or two. For example (if you so choose) your car/bike can be registered in Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov. All other months it is deregistered.

Of course there is no reason to do that, but overall how clever is that?

Mein Gott, Zese Germans zink of everytink.
. I wonder when our government would become that smart.

Btw, thats a nice BMW K1200 RS in the picture while going to the flower market.

Last edited by straight6 : 7th May 2009 at 05:32.
Old 7th May 2009, 10:50   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Hey, the date was settled long back ago! You make it sound like I was going to stay here forever lol.
Yaay - party time !!!
Old 7th May 2009, 11:22   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is not an option, it is a must for every man coming close to the "Reeperbahn". And you will have to do this by yourself lol. Women NOT allowed!!! We cannot even take a peek. So I will wait at the other side for you haha. With a report of what it looks like, of course - that's the deal hihihi.

Thanks Navin! If I have any problems I will contact you. In the meantime I have collected a few more things - looks like we will have a nice little herb garden too, yeah!
1. Why is it that every German girl thinks that this Reeperbhan thing is a good idea? I walked though that street and was embarrassed and ashamed. Nothing there turned me on.

2. I dont think she will understand herbs. She would love to meet and talk to someone from Germany though. Her German might be rusty though (after 40+ years living in India). She take the kids in our building for what she calls nature walks and shows them snails, butterflies, etc.. Did you know that Monarch butterflies only lay eggs on a lemon tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
All had reported about hairy hand of yeti in that pic but no one has noticed the nice painting by kids.
Quote:
Nick - I know a certain little chap who would be quite annoyed at having his beautiful dinosaurs referred to as "monsters" lol.
All kids seem to love dinosaurs. THe flying one is called a Pterasaur or Pteradoctyl then you have Stegasaurs, Triceraptos, Protoceraptos, Velocipartor, Dipplodoccus, etc...my son too when he was about 4 was into these. Dont ask me where they learnthe names from.

Quote:
That's you. Most mothers I see in India do this "One for Papa, one more for Nana. OK now one last one for pappu"
Which India are you refering to? The mothers I know in Mumbai stuff a plate in front of the kids and tell them eat.

Quote:
While leaving, my colleague buys a bottle of their "C" sauce explaining that sometimes in India we have unwanted guests at a party....
Spicy Margarittas anyone?

Quote:
And no, this is not a living room and kitchen in Germany, lol.
With an open kitchen the spices from cooking Indian food would permeate everywhere. BTW the window grill gave it away as an Indian/Mumbai apartment.
Old 7th May 2009, 11:28   #267
BHPian

Sam and Jenny,
I am desperately waiting for the blog of your guys wedding (and many more blogs in between of course)
I am sure its gonna be a real different experience for you both and all of us

My best wishes are always with you.

Looking forward to see you guys.

My wife too is about to get addicted to yeti blogs

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th May 2009 at 11:48. Reason: Smilie usage
Old 7th May 2009, 13:22   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I wonder when our government would become that smart.
when Indians start paying high taxes, instead of avoiding them I guess. You don't even want to KNOW what the road tax is in Germany. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Yaay - party time !!!
Anytime baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Which India are you refering to? The mothers I know in Mumbai stuff a plate in front of the kids and tell them eat.
I said I was guilty of generalizing Navin. Perhaps the mothers you know are a little exceptional, because this is not the norm in India. In India, most kids of 2 are either fed by their mom or by a maid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
With an open kitchen the spices from cooking Indian food would permeate everywhere. BTW the window grill gave it away as an Indian/Mumbai apartment.
True. But we don't cook typical Indian. Never did even before Jenny.

Jenny threw the bai out. She cooks herself. European meat and salad and Indian sabzis. God she loves Baingan and Bhindi (where's that puking smiley?).
I cook Italian and some world cuisine.

We use little oils and masalas and always use the chimney to suck up the steam from the food.

Besides, if your food is nice and not stinky (like fried fish), it is really nice to have a living room smell warm and foody. Like a restaurant. Sometimes.

Quote:
Sam and Jenny,
I am desperately waiting for the blog of your guys wedding (and many more blogs in between of course)
Dunno when the wedding blog will come... There will be more in between of course.
Quote:
My wife too is about to get addicted to yeti blogs
My thanks and a big smile to your wife.

OT: This has become the third most popular Yeti travel thread on Team-BHP, beating many others I have written before. Thank you for your appreciation.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 7th May 2009 at 13:42.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:17   #269
Senior - BHPian

Sam , Brilliant as usual. Was glued to this blog since your 1st post. Congrats on your award again. Thanks Sam & Jenny ! God bless!!
Old 7th May 2009, 22:55   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You don't even want to KNOW what the road tax is in Germany. lol

In India, most kids of 2 are either fed by their mom or by a maid.

Jenny threw the bai out.
Most countries with high road tax have good roads. Case in point Singapore.

Sam, gone are the days when maids are plenty. When our son was 2 we did could not get a maid.

The old one? Or does she now only work for your father?
Closed Thread