Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 29th April 2009, 10:42   #91
Senior - BHPian

congrats for the award and as usual great travelogue!
really enjoyed your presentation

cheers
Old 29th April 2009, 10:50   #92
BHPian

Take your own sweet time ThePair®, but when you post make sure that it has the typical Yetiblog® flair. All of Yeti's post are actually worth the wait. And much more.

Please enjoy the trip as much as you can (Which eventually will mean tons of photographs and memoirs for all the fans - yippeeeee)
Old 29th April 2009, 11:02   #93
BHPian

Sam,

In the first set of pics at the venue, everyone at the table is sitting with a glass of a drink and you have the bottle and an empty glass. Total desi ishtyle!!
Old 29th April 2009, 11:16   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
In late 1980's, Fokker planes made their presence felt in India through a lost cost Airline called "Vayudooth" started by Govt of India to connect smaller cities. Lot of them crashed and I definitely remember a one that crashed in Ujani Dam near Pune.

takecare and drive safely
Fokker came long before that to India. The infamous hijacking of an Indian Airlines Fokker friendship from Srinagar to Pakistan in 1971 and burning it down is one instance of the aircraft etched in post independence Indian History.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Sam that was a nice presentation! guess was expected good going!
Old 29th April 2009, 11:51   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Unhappy Water, water everywhere, not a drop to drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Sam,

In the first set of pics at the venue, everyone at the table is sitting with a glass of a drink and you have the bottle and an empty glass. Total desi ishtyle!!
lol. It's not what you think. That there is a bottle of still water.

I have a genuine problem with the way water is handled in Europe. Most people don't drink enough of it.

This is strictly my observation and inference of course.

Water is ordered, never served. I mean, in India there are 2 kinds of restaurants.
One that will serve you water without question (generally low end) and the ones that ask you what kind of water you want. Bottled or regular.
The question of not wanting water does not arise.

Here, one has to order it. A typical conversation as the waiter looks around from patron 1 to patron 4.

1) I'll have a cola light, thanks.
2) A glass of water for me.

In most cases, unless otherwise specified, number 2 will end up with a glass of soda (!!). Especially in Germany, mineral water (mineralwasser) means water with a healthy infusion of gas.
In the super markets, mineral water is available in various strengths (depending on how much gas is inside). People enjoy drinking water with gas.
In case if you want what we call water, it's best to ask for still water. (stilleswasser). At a super market look for bottles that say OHNE - literally translated as "without" - meaning - without gas.

Coming back to the restaurant - unless you specifically ask for water, nobody gives you any. Most have no clear provision for gratis water and you will probably have to order a bottle (which costs as much as a coke) - luckily, most restaurants have the option of offering both still and water with gas.

I found my instances in Holland different from Germany in the water area. Perhaps it was the management of the event. Throughout the event there were similar bottles of water strategically placed everywhere. Dark coloured cork for still, light cork for mineral water.

Even this restaurant had the same facility. I would grab the nearest bottle of still water and a glass and make as much of it as I could.

When you visit somebody and they ask you if you'd like something to drink and you ask for water - that's it. You receive your water and a big smile.
while TheOne® may not get the humour in that line, most Indians will understand what I mean. In India when you ask for water they say

Oh, woh toh milega hi. Uske alawa kya loge?

Translated as: Of course you'll get water. what else will you have?

Coming from a hot, tropical country - I have developed a habit of drinking at least 2 to 3 litres of water every single day. This habit is hard to kill, even if the climate is different.

P.S. - The tap water in Amsterdam is supposed to be the best tasting and cleanest in Europe. Drink as much as you can from the bathroom basin.

P.P.S. - I do understand that it is the huge differences in climate that bring about this (lack of) water culture and it isn't a hospitality thing.

Back to my story now.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th April 2009 at 15:03. Reason: Post edited. Please follow the Team-BHP rules.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th April 2009, 12:02   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
@Sam- I am replying for the first time in YetiBlog but have been following it for past long.
Its really nice to go thru each and every post you do, a kinda smiley is maintained throughout on my face.

I may be travelling to europe this year tentatively end for a tour. Will need your help as I have near zero idea about the places there. Finding you there while I am travelling will be icing over cake
Dear SP,

I am very obliged at your reply. I notice that you have barely made a handful of posts since November 2007 so I am honoured.

Both Jenny and I would be happy to help you with your tour - especially if it is through Germany.

It is likely that I will be at Jenny's town at the end of the year. However it is unlikely that you would want to visit it - I assume you would want to see famous places, cities and monuments - Bad Nauheim is not high on that list.

Still, Frankfurt is quite close, so maybe we could come over for a short meet. You never know. PM me when you have a plan.
Old 29th April 2009, 12:53   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - 23rd April 2009 - Driving to Lisse.

I've finished signing the papers and agreed for the extra insurance.

Amsterdam is not like Germany, there are traffic jams here a colleague warns.
What do you know of traffic jams, I think to myself.

Guys, you have to be back early. The bus leaves at 7 to the party. Ah yes, we are to party tonight.
I'll need an hour to dress, we need to be back by 6 she says firmly.
Well in the worst case we could just drive to the party no?

She disregards my statement entirely.
I look at my watch.

It's 3 already.

Well then come on, stop chatting with the girls and we can go already!
She rolls her eyes in mock frustration and we're off.

The tank is full and we're obliged to fill it up before we return the car.We have the addresses of the local gas stations and the address of our hotel is already in the Becker head unit with navigation.

Name:  Picture 7.png
Views: 1946
Size:  233.3 KB

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7941_l.jpg

So are we going to the Keukenhof?
I don't know. Let's get out of the city and drive towards Lisse. We'll decide.

Getting out of the city doesn't take too long as we find out.

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7934_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7935_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7940_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7944_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7945_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7948_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_7949_l.jpg

We're driving through this beautiful countryside.

Isn't it beautiful?
She's impressed, but I guess she's harder to impress than I am.

It is wonderful, yes, but all a bit flat.
Flat?
I whip around looking at her shocked.
Yeah. She's driving with a faint smile now - amused at my reaction. She gestures with her right hand. It's all flat. No hills.

I laugh. I actually see what she means. The landscape is dreadfully flat. Everything is at the same level. Even the roads are just straight.

God the air smells sweet. What a beautiful place.

We decide not to go to the Keukenhof. It's pointless to pay 13 euros each to enter a garden and leave in an hour. We opt to drive through the Lisse countryside instead. The smart is weaving its way through little paths with fields on both sides. The air smells of flowers...

HEEEYYYYYY - STOP THE CAR!!
She pulls over quickly and we get off with huge grins on our faces, running like kids.

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-dsc_79561_l.jpg
Will you just look at that?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 29th April 2009 at 12:59.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2009, 13:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

wow, those pics reminds me of my good old days in Amst. BTW you could have gone to flower auction at Alsmeer, worlds biggest flower auction market and its fun to see people bidding for flower, but just looking at the bunch of flowers

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-amsterdam-74.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-amsterdam-83.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-amsterdam-117.jpg
Old 29th April 2009, 13:34   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is wonderful, yes, but all a bit flat.
Flat? I whip around looking at her shocked.
Yeah. She's driving with a faint smile now - amused at my reaction. She gestures with her right hand. It's all flat. No hills.
I'm with Jenny on this one --- but I still enjoyed my couple of visits to Netherlands very much
Old 29th April 2009, 15:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Dear SP,

I am very obliged at your reply. I notice that you have barely made a handful of posts since November 2007 so I am honoured.

Both Jenny and I would be happy to help you with your tour - especially if it is through Germany.

It is likely that I will be at Jenny's town at the end of the year. However it is unlikely that you would want to visit it - I assume you would want to see famous places, cities and monuments - Bad Nauheim is not high on that list.

Still, Frankfurt is quite close, so maybe we could come over for a short meet. You never know. PM me when you have a plan.
I must thank you for the offering .
Guess people should not kick me out for me being an intruder.

Sam I need help from you to explore the unknown places. I am unwilling to see places known to everyone like Switzerland, Frankfurt etc (well these can be in the list but not majorly).
I want to explore the rurals and the unknown places. If possible then on a rented KTM bike ,I really need guidance regarding the suitable season for motorbiking as well ..

Ok no more replies, rest I will take it up in PM.
Please continue with the blog, we are waiting ..
Old 29th April 2009, 18:26   #102
Sar
BHPian

Great writing as usual Sam, was like when I read you went to Fifteen, I will go one day. Your presentation was fun, the bits that we saw. Well done. As for the flat land, I will post some pictures soon, of some real hills. Waiting for the next part.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:53   #103
BHPian

Default A day in Amsterdam

Amsterdam, yeah!!!

After a great first day and evening with my former colleagues - lots of talking, laughing and catching up, it was great - it is now time for me to explore the city. Fantastic!

I have been here before but only on business. I never had the time to actually go and see the city. Even though business has brought me here again I now have the big privilege to sneak away from it all and enjoy my day out. I am thrilled...!

Goodbye honey!
I can see in his face how much he would love to join and as much as I would like him to come along too, it is clearly business time for him.

I go to reception, ask for a city guide and take the train to town.

As I step out of the main train station I consult my city map and then just take off. I have no real target, no certain route to follow. I just want to see the city, take in the atmosphere and enjoy a "cold" day in Europe lol.

As soon as I leave the area around the train station behind me, I am already blown away. I have seen many cities but this one is truly beautiful. So many great buildings and small cute little houses, so many nice little shops, cafés, restaurants and coffee shops... My head goes wush.. wush.. wush.. From left to right, from right to left.

Some impressive buildings:

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0005_small.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0032_small.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0035_small.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0049_small.jpg

How much Sam would have enjoyed this I keep thinking all the time. I walk up and down the many bridges over the thousands of canals that make this place so charming:

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0026_small.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0038_small.jpg
One of my favourite pictures - what a lovely place!

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0047_small.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0054_small.jpg
Just look at those cute little crooked houses. Fantastic!

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0056_small.jpg
How sweet, people actually do LIVE on these boats. They are permanent residences.

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0059_small.jpg

YetiBlog® - Sleepless in Europe-0060_small.jpg
Sightseeing by boat, another possibility. Though I was happy just to roam around - I miss doing that in Bombay, too much traffic and too narrow sidewalks most of the times.

To be continued!

Last edited by TheOne® : 29th April 2009 at 23:03.
Old 29th April 2009, 23:03   #104
Senior - BHPian

Apologies to Sam for the delayed wishes. Congrats on your achievement Sam. You've certainly earned every bit of that award.

And putting you last for the presentation to wake up the crowd goes to show how much energy and entusiasm you exude which rubs on to people (in a good way of course).

Your blog's and sense of humor makes us smile.

Nice pics Jenny. Those houseboat pics are very nice.
Old 29th April 2009, 23:14   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Well you certainly had a nice day in Amsterdam!

Nice pictures Jenny!
Closed Thread