Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th April 2009, 12:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudev ji,

I fully agree. Often I have to fly to BLR late evening, making schedules a complete mess and sleeping in guesthouses/hotels when a lovely train would be a good option IF it was some 15-17 hours only!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 14:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona
Welcome Back to the world of trains man. Nothing comes close(except for driving of course)
So true. Nothing comes close. We have done continous journeys of 4-5 days in 3 trains from Assam to Kerala when we were kids and it was just pure fun - enjoyed every minute of the journey. Used to be like a hotel-room / home for those 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona
There is a mandatory ritual before one embarks on a Train Journey, which you seem to have skipped. Either ask any Mallu or PM me and i can guide you in totality
I think I know this one, but would let you clarify.

On second thoughts, since you mention PM, I think my hunch is correct.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 14:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

OT @phamilyman - I like the location in your profile. Yes if Bangalore or luru or what ever was reachable like Mumbai is.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 13:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Continue:

It was heating like a baked oven when I reached Varanasi. Temperature must be around 42-43.

I reached at the center but it was closed for lunch, reopened at 2:30 PM. I had discussion with few people who were already taking the medicines for cancer for them and felt happy of listening the positive results from them. Collected the medicines for mother and I was done with my AIM of the Trip by 5:00 PM.

Now I started looking out for hotel. AC was must. Earlier I called up, Scindia Guest house, 1200 for AC room, and they arrogantly announced that there is power shortage problem and I might not get AC, when there is no power. I said, what about generators, and they said negative.

Walked upto Asi Ghat to find some hotel, but no luck. There was one by the Ha* something but AC room were not available. Then checked Hotel Ganges, but they had very high rates. I guess they were more happy to serve Non-Indians.

It was really hot out there and I was needing some rest. So took a rickshaw for Manikaran Ghat from where little walk for Scindia Guest House. meanwhile I called Diamond Hotel, which was near by, and found one AC room for 1200 Rs. Changed my plans and moved the rickshaw for Diamond Hotel.

Checked into the hotel, switched on the AC and relaxed for some time. Also some exposure to sun had caused the heat effect on me and I was not feeling well, though I kept myself well hydrated.

I must mention here, that my job has really spoilt me alot. After staying at 5-stars hotels all aound the world and India, company paid, it gets bit painful to stay on the lower star room. So the rooms which very good for me, few years back, are not good for me now.

I had no energy to step out of the hotel to find a hotel for dinner, so looked at the hotel Menu. It was costly if not very costly.

Ordered Chicken Lababdar with Butter Roti for dinner. Food was ok. Slept whole night with little discomfort, may be beds were not comfortable.

That caused a chain effect on my body, and it was paining all over in the morning.

Slept till 11:00AM and recovered a bit. I had plans to visit few places so got ready almost, half heatedly venture out. As I stepped out of the hotel, its was hot like anything. Very little souls moving around.

I took the decision of not to venture out and get sick, as I can not afford to fall sick as of now.

Got back to hotel and asked for the checkout time, he said 12:00. I said my train is at 7:00 PM, so I would like to stay till 6:00 PM. He refused, that's not customer friendly.

So I offered him to charge me for that duration, and he agreed for 500 Rs. Though I was not happy, but it was better to stay in AC and relax instead of getting sick at 42 deg temp.

Then the hotel guy told me that this is not the time to visit Varanasi, summer get really hot here.

Anyways I was feeling better back in AC and watched few old movies on Zee Cinema, after long long time. Watching TV is my best past time, but have not been watching TV for last 7-8 months, may be few specific shows.

At 6:00 I checked out of hotel, took and Auto for 70 Rs for the Station. Shiv Ganga was right on time. I had side lower berth at 2nd AC.

Ordered dinner for 32 Rs. But food was ok ok, and good if you desperately need to eat something.

Night journey was event less. Train reached Delhi on time.

Overall, I would say the journey was very good. 1AC was class apart and 2nd AC was very comfortable. No pains at all, other than total time you spend

Another very interesting thing I observed in the 1st AC cabin is that, there is a small wash basin inside the cabin itself, hidden under the table. So comfort at its best

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
With 6 hours at hand you could have taken the metro to any part of city and be back after partaking a specialty, say Faluda Kulfi of Chandini Chowk or Chache de Bhature at University etc. etc. !!
Sudev Sir, now I know how to utilize time when traveling by train. I would like to plan a trip on train with family. Will do it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
There is a mandatory ritual before one embarks on a Train Journey, which you seem to have skipped.
ya I know, lesson Learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
then it all settles down and you begin to enjoy the ride.
Very True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Just to add one small thing, long back there was this 1st class non-ac coupe and the journey in these types of compartments were really great as compared to the present day A.C coupes.
I think its still there by name of First Class

Last edited by rkbharat : 1st May 2009 at 13:27.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 13:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I agree With Steeroid here.

Also instead of asking just anybody you should ask either the 'Coolie' or a TTE guy for any train related information.

Also like he said as long as you have confirmed ticket why do you need to check the chart?

As for 139 While I do agree that at times it not easy to get through, ideally reaching station 30 mins max is sufficient.

Also delayed trains(by 2-3) thankfully are not as frequent as it used to be.
First A/C - you do not get the seat number when you book. You have to necessarily check with the TTE/CHARTS in the station
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
So I decided to take one cabin which has only two berth and took the lower berth and stretched my legs. Lucikly no one turned up for the upper berth, that mean whole cabin was mine. Locked the door after TE checked the ticket, and sold all my donkeys and horses for a glorious sleep.

r...
This may not be applicable to 2nd and 3rd AC, but if travelling alone, it may be uncomfortable to share a room(cabin) with an unknown person in the 2 berth locked cabin in 1st AC
for_cars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
First A/C - you do not get the seat number when you book. You have to necessarily check with the TTE/CHARTS in the station
With normal First Class also, this is the procedure.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote