Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th March 2013, 16:22   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I remember while crossing Durgapur last month, I saw a big mall on the left side (while going towards Panagarh). That looked approachable right from NH2 as it was right beside the same.
Would be glad if you would correct me.

Regards.
Big Bazar is only 2 mins. drive from the NH, but it is not visible from the NH.

The one on the left side that you saw is the Junction Mall, but it does not have a direct entry from the NH. The following picture should make it clear.
The building with pointers A and B is the Junction Mall.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail-junction.jpg
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 19:05   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Big Bazar is only 2 mins. drive from the NH, but it is not visible from the NH.

The one on the left side that you saw is the Junction Mall, but it does not have a direct entry from the NH. The following picture should make it clear.
The building with pointers A and B is the Junction Mall.
To reach that mall you need to take a left turn at Mahatma Gandhi Road from NH2 and then take the next right which will first take you to Peerless Inn (a very good albeit pricey stay option). After you cross that, at the next crossing, if you turn left, you go to Big Bazaar and turn right you will go towards Junction mall. Actually towards the left would also take you to Inox and Durgapur Cinema (which used to be our favorite haunt for subsidized Bolly entertainment). Ummm. There was Jhumur cinema too in the same building but for propriety's sake lets leave that out for now. How do I know? Spent 4 years walking around all those places in the 90s while I was in college. Back in those days these places were flat lands.

EDIT: Remembered just now, actually there is a small connecting road from NH2 around 300/400 m after the Mahatma Gandhi Road crossing which would take you to the same road on turning left. Please check the map closely and you will be able to locate it. I have made 2/3 trips to and through Durgapur recently and have noticed it but have not used it.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 7th March 2013 at 19:10.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 20:23   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi - Kolkata: Best route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The major towns that you will come across after crossing Allahabad are
6. Asansol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
In WB, you actually pass through almost every town starting from Asansol.
Doesn't the GQ essentially bypass Asansol (and Kulti)?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 21:07   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Doesn't the GQ essentially bypass Asansol (and Kulti)?
In large parts - but doesn't it seem as if the towns grew outwards to spill over onto the bypass? In any case the Asansol-Durgapur local traffic on the bypass takes away from the peace of driving outside a city. Also, too many traffic crossings.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 09:19   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
To reach that mall you need to take a left turn at Mahatma Gandhi Road from NH2 and then take the next right which will first take you to Peerless Inn (a very good albeit pricey stay option). After you cross that, at the next crossing, if you turn left, you go to Big Bazaar and turn right you will go towards Junction mall. Actually towards the left would also take you to Inox and Durgapur Cinema (which used to be our favorite haunt for subsidized Bolly entertainment). Ummm. There was Jhumur cinema too in the same building but for propriety's sake lets leave that out for now. How do I know? Spent 4 years walking around all those places in the 90s while I was in college. Back in those days these places were flat lands.

EDIT: Remembered just now, actually there is a small connecting road from NH2 around 300/400 m after the Mahatma Gandhi Road crossing which would take you to the same road on turning left. Please check the map closely and you will be able to locate it. I have made 2/3 trips to and through Durgapur recently and have noticed it but have not used it.
This turn is at the corner of Cement Park, residential colony of Durgapur Cement. There is a Fire Station at the right and a Kalibari at the left. For Big Bazar you need to go straight another 400/500mtr.

I presume you are talking about REC, Durgapur (now NIT).

Now coming to how do I know all this; boss, this is my hometown, I grew up there and my father had built his house in City Centre. I left Durgapur in '98 but I still know this area very well as I visit Durgapur very often.

That flat vacant land behind Durgapur Cinema (DC) is filled up and the most posh locality of Durgapur now.

Last edited by Sommos : 8th March 2013 at 09:21.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 20:25   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In any case the Asansol-Durgapur local traffic on the bypass takes away from the peace of driving outside a city. Also, too many traffic crossings.
For comparison, try driving along the old alignment (GT Rd) during working hours.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 10:49   #187
Senior - BHPian

Drove on the Kolkata Durgapur stretch a few days ago. Panagarh is as bad as usual. There's heavy truck traffic at night. Most of them don't have any reflectors and cannot be seen from a distance.

Today's Anandabazar Patrika talks of a 8KM bypass to be built by NHAI at Panagarh. Land acquisition is a major problem there.

Most the stretch I drove through had lorries parked on the roadside - reducing speed was necessary. This part of the road is turning into an official parking lot for lorries.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 18:38   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

Today's Anandabazar Patrika talks of a 8KM bypass to be built by NHAI at Panagarh. Land acquisition is a major problem there.
Even I read about it. My Wife went ga-ga over the news. She just HATES Panagarh Bazaar stretch, as she cannot keep the windows rolled up, nor down, plus the Traffic Jam. Rolled up windows make the inside sultry and hot in my non-AC Maruti 800. Rolled down, lets the dust in. Its Devil & Deep Sea.
She is now contemplating a smoother ride to & from Dhanbad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
For comparison, try driving along the old alignment (GT Rd) during working hours.

Regards
Sutripta
Mugma to Kalipahari has two alignments. One along the old GT Road running through Mugma, Chirkunda, Barakar Bazar, bus stand, Kulti, Neamatpur, BNR more (Asansol), Asansol bazar, Murgasol, Kalipahari. Remember the old alignment before the 4-laning happened. Both the stretches were notorious for jams. The bye-pass was notorious for trucks, and old alignment for all other types of vehicles, including the Super Buses heading for Burdwan. Time was never compared as we never took the byepass. It was left for trucks alone. We used to travel along the old alignment.
Today, we take only the new byepass, as:
a) the old alignment does not allow LMV & above over the Barakar bridge.
b) the byepass is 4-laned and much, much faster

Quote:
My favourite eatery on the NH2 since the last 20 years and more, was at Govindpur (JH). The New Khalsa Hotel, it is called. They served lovely non-veg fare, parathas, chicken curries, and a lot else besides. Seating was basic (though they had a family room), no air-conditioning, but the service was prompt and always with a smile.

We looked forward to stopping here for lunch. All morning, as we drove through BR & JH, we salivated thinking of the feast we would have there during lunch. And finally we were there at 1 PM, hungry enough to eat a whole rooster each. We decided to forego the parathas, opting instead for a plate of chicken dopiyaza, a plate of chicken liver curry fry, and rotis.

The food took longer to arrive than what we expected. In the meanwhile, we sized up the gentry there. There seemed to be a change in the demographics. No truck drivers. No long distance travelling family types. Most seemed to be local folks, chatting and drinking beer(!) - not something we have seen before. Seems the place had become more popular as a bar than as an eatery. Well, the food ought to be good...

One mouthful of chicken got me salivating. My mouth was on fire. My nose was on fire too, and poured out mucus in an endless stream. My eyes hurt and watered. I have never, ever, had so much of chillies in any food in all my life. My family was suffering worse than I was. And the waiter who dumped the food on our table so unceremoniously, was nowhere to be seen. Thinking the liver dish would be better, we tried that. And it was equally supersaturated with chillies.

Now, mind you, I have eaten traditional Andhra food fairly often in the past to know that it has a lot of chillies added to it. But Andhra food is like Cerelac compared to this stuff. Send this to the Army, and they can replace the gunpowder in their cannon shells with this. And the shells would still fire clean across Pakistan and land in Afghanistan.

The waiter was back. Nonchalantly tells us that no one else is complaining, so this stuff should be fine. Well, we had to eat - after all, we were seriously hungry. A clean bowl was called for, and Bisleri poured into it. The pieces of chicken & liver were washed in water, and consumed. Still tasted nice and spicy, I can tell you! The young Sardar at the cash counter said they have a new cook, and the regular clientele likes what he makes. No apologies.

Not that I am going back to ask again...
Sir,
sorry to hear this. I still eat there. Yes drinking has always been there, but in a separate area (left side when you enter). Nowadays, even I have seen people drinking in the front.
Think they are trying to "shoo" away (instead of "woo"-ing) the family crowd to Vegis and the Restaurant on the first floor of Vegis. Esp for the veg crowd.
Construction of a residential hotel (same owner) is happening at the back, and hence it is all pandemonium.
Standards definitely has gone down over what it used to by in the 80's.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 20:06   #189
BHPian

Got back yesterday from a Delhi - Kolkata - Delhi trip.

NH2 is excellent all the way except Panagarh (not too bad).

Icing on the cake was Yamuna Expressway and Allahabad Bypas roads!!
GoSlow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:47   #190
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata : Trip#28 on NH-2 (DEL-CCU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller;2726168 My favourite eatery on the NH2 since the last 20 years and more, was at Govindpur (JH). The New Khalsa Hotel, it is called. They served lovely non-veg fare, [I
parathas[/i], chicken curries, and a lot else besides. Seating was basic (though they had a family room), no air-conditioning, but the service was prompt and always with a smile.
Holy moses ! Wonder if this is this the same "favourite eatery on the NH2" I used to visit four decades ago at Govindpur (JH) ? Lived in Burnpur and schooled in Asansol in the 60's. As a young school boy, used to ride pillion on a Rajdoot all of 40+kms with young officer trainees from IISCO who discovered this dhaba to relish the tandoori chicken, your choice to be picked from the live ones running around the dhaba. Back in those days it was a typical shack (family room ? nothing of the kind!) and when I left WB in 1970, the dhaba had more cars than trucks, the charpoys/khattiyas replaced with folding tables and chairs and a fridge to boot...nostalgia folks
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 21:53   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata : Trip#28 on NH-2 (DEL-CCU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
...tandoori chicken, your choice to be picked from the live ones running around the dhaba.
Has to be the same place!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 13:58   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post

How much time did it take you one way? Did you go alone or with passengers?
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 21:29   #193
Senior - BHPian

Go Slow I would be driving this route from Chandigarh around 28th April. Please update a bit more elaborately especially the Yamuna Expressway-Varanasi with time taken for each of the major legs between towns.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 00:34   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
How much time did it take you one way? Did you go alone or with passengers?
20 hours going - 19 hours coming back. I had my wife and 5 year old son with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Go Slow I would be driving this route from Chandigarh around 28th April. Please update a bit more elaborately especially the Yamuna Expressway-Varanasi with time taken for each of the major legs between towns.
Yamuna Expressway to Varanasi is easy, only issue is Firozabad which gets crowded during the day. here is the route:
YEW - Firozabad - Kanpur (ellevated bypass) - Allahabad (mini YEW bypass) - Varanasi. There is also a flyover which takes you past the Varanasi town and you can continue on NH2.

Here was my itenary when I went there:
DAY 1: Gurgaon - YEW - Kanpur - Allahabad: 700kms in 9 hours
DAY 2: Allahabad - Varanasi - Gaya - Dhanbad - Asansol - Kolkata: 800kms in 11 hrs

The return Itenary was:
DAY 1: Kolkata - kanpur (same route as above): 1006kms in 14hrs
DAY 2: Kanpur - Gurgaon (via YEW): 400kms 6hrs
Attached Images

GoSlow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:13   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post

I am planning to start from Noida on 3rd June at 0500 hrs and reach Patna either on same day or day after. In the next twelve days, I would travel to Ranchi, Jamshedpur and Bokaro before starting on the return trip on 15th. I would be driving my XUV 500 W8( five months old) and my family(wife, two kids and mother) are co passengers. As you have recently travelled on NH-2, can you help me with these specific info ?
1. Good eating places on NH-2 between Kanpur and Allahabad.
2. Any trouble spots on NH-2 up to Mohania.
3. Average kmph coverage up to Mohania that can be comfortably achieved, all else being normal.

I belong to Bihar/Jharkhand but have never driven in any part of these states. Though I have self driven in my previous car Wagon-R to Vaishno Devi,Ujjain, McLeod Ganj,Jaipur,Shimla,Nainital from Bathinda,Jaipur,Noida (i.e my place of postings), the NH-2 trip would be so far the longest, both for me and my XUV. Needless to say, I am very excited but want to take all precautions.
mkbksc is online now   Reply With Quote