Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:09   #196
BHPian
 
Baddychat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Noida
Posts: 283
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
20 hours going - 19 hours coming back. I had my wife and 5 year old son with me.



Yamuna Expressway to Varanasi is easy, only issue is Firozabad which gets crowded during the day. here is the route:
YEW - Firozabad - Kanpur (ellevated bypass) - Allahabad (mini YEW bypass) - Varanasi. There is also a flyover which takes you past the Varanasi town and you can continue on NH2.

Here was my itenary when I went there:
DAY 1: Gurgaon - YEW - Kanpur - Allahabad: 700kms in 9 hours
DAY 2: Allahabad - Varanasi - Gaya - Dhanbad - Asansol - Kolkata: 800kms in 11 hrs

The return Itenary was:
DAY 1: Kolkata - kanpur (same route as above): 1006kms in 14hrs
DAY 2: Kanpur - Gurgaon (via YEW): 400kms 6hrs
Good times you achieved on both the legs, GoSlow.
I am planning to do this trip sometime in October where I plan to do a Kolkata - Varanasi on day 1. I would assume that i should be able to cover it in about 12 hours or thereabouts.
Panagarh I assume is its usual self.
Baddychat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:24   #197
BHPian
 
GoSlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 507
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Good times you achieved on both the legs, GoSlow.
I am planning to do this trip sometime in October where I plan to do a Kolkata - Varanasi on day 1. I would assume that i should be able to cover it in about 12 hours or thereabouts.
Panagarh I assume is its usual self.

Baddychat - Thanks.

Kolkata - Varanasi should be a 10hr drive. Starting early is the key. You save a lot of time and would porbably cross Panagarh in 15 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbksc View Post
I am planning to start from Noida on 3rd June at 0500 hrs and reach Patna either on same day or day after. In the next twelve days, I would travel to Ranchi, Jamshedpur and Bokaro before starting on the return trip on 15th. I would be driving my XUV 500 W8( five months old) and my family(wife, two kids and mother) are co passengers. As you have recently travelled on NH-2, can you help me with these specific info ?
1. Good eating places on NH-2 between Kanpur and Allahabad.
2. Any trouble spots on NH-2 up to Mohania.
3. Average kmph coverage up to Mohania that can be comfortably achieved, all else being normal.

I belong to Bihar/Jharkhand but have never driven in any part of these states. Though I have self driven in my previous car Wagon-R to Vaishno Devi,Ujjain, McLeod Ganj,Jaipur,Shimla,Nainital from Bathinda,Jaipur,Noida (i.e my place of postings), the NH-2 trip would be so far the longest, both for me and my XUV. Needless to say, I am very excited but want to take all precautions.
My responses to your queries in same order -
1. I stopped at my in-laws place both while going and coming back so carried packed Breakfast and Lunch. Sorry, maybe other memebers can suggest something?
2. I did not encounter/see any trouble. However, I would not drive this route at night as after Varanasi the highway becomes delosate.
3. I got Avg. 78kmph as shown by the MID on my Innova

You should be able to do this trip easily. I am not aware of the routes off the NH2. The NH2 itself is a good highway.
Watch out for bikes coming in the wrong direction in the overtaking lane in UP/Bihar. Sometimes Trucks too.

Good Luck and Godspeed!

Last edited by GoSlow : 23rd May 2013 at 23:36. Reason: Missed my 2nd reply
GoSlow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 08:35   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,078 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbksc View Post
1. Good eating places on NH-2 between Kanpur and Allahabad.
2. Any trouble spots on NH-2 up to Mohania.
3. Average kmph coverage up to Mohania that can be comfortably achieved, all else being normal.
1. None whatsoever, especially if you're taking the expressway. Since you're travelling with family, its a better idea to go into Allahabad or Kanpur (depending on time of the day) and have lunch at one of the eateries in town.

2. No trouble as long as you're driving in the day.

3. Roads are very good all along, and CRDI engines are very relaxed at high speeds. So depending on your style of driving, anywhere between 75-90kmph.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 13:23   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gandhidham
Posts: 63
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Baddychat - Thanks.

Kolkata - Varanasi should be a 10hr drive. Starting early is the key. You save a lot of time and would porbably cross Panagarh in 15 mins.



My responses to your queries in same order -
1. I stopped at my in-laws place both while going and coming back so carried packed Breakfast and Lunch. Sorry, maybe other memebers can suggest something?
2. I did not encounter/see any trouble. However, I would not drive this route at night as after Varanasi the highway becomes delosate.
3. I got Avg. 78kmph as shown by the MID on my Innova

You should be able to do this trip easily. I am not aware of the routes off the NH2. The NH2 itself is a good highway.
Watch out for bikes coming in the wrong direction in the overtaking lane in UP/Bihar. Sometimes Trucks too.

Good Luck and Godspeed!
Thanks a lot for the info! 78 kmph average is outstanding. You must be a very steady driver.

Would certainly watch out for bikes and all other forms of 2/3/4/n wheelers and maybe footers also. It happens everywhere.

Would plan to take good food from home itself.
mkbksc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 13:28   #200
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gandhidham
Posts: 63
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
1. None whatsoever, especially if you're taking the expressway. Since you're travelling with family, its a better idea to go into Allahabad or Kanpur (depending on time of the day) and have lunch at one of the eateries in town.

2. No trouble as long as you're driving in the day.

3. Roads are very good all along, and CRDI engines are very relaxed at high speeds. So depending on your style of driving, anywhere between 75-90kmph.
Thank you!

Though I would love to, I would not venture into Kanpur or Allahabad as that would waste a lot of precious time. You had a fantastic kmph average. I do not drive at more than 110 kmph and try to keep things steady.
mkbksc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 15:40   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 92
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Friends

I have to travel to Varanasi in the middle of June. Was wondering whether to drive in my Liva GD, or take a train.

My question is about driving long distances in extremely hot weather. Is there higher risk of a breakdown in such hot conditions? Any other problems which is caused by very hot weather?

I will be driving mostly during the day. Therefore, it will be very hot. Current temperatures in Delhi are going up to 45-46. Feedback from experienced and expert drivers needed.

thanks
jhaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 16:45   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Friends

I have to travel to Varanasi in the middle of June. Was wondering whether to drive in my Liva GD, or take a train.

My question is about driving long distances in extremely hot weather. Is there higher risk of a breakdown in such hot conditions? Any other problems which is caused by very hot weather?

I will be driving mostly during the day. Therefore, it will be very hot. Current temperatures in Delhi are going up to 45-46. Feedback from experienced and expert drivers needed.

thanks
NO issues driving in hot weather. However:

1. Ensure that coolant is topped up, carry extra coolant & keep checking during the drive for any depletion. Do not forget to keep an eye on the temperature needle for any signs of unusual engine heating due to coolant leak

2. Do not check tyre air pressure when they are running hot. In short trips, there is no need to check air pressure at all.

3. In case your engine oil change is falling due within the next 2000 kms or so, please change the engine oil before the trip
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 17:12   #203
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 92
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NO issues driving in hot weather. However:

1. Ensure that coolant is topped up, carry extra coolant & keep checking during the drive for any depletion. Do not forget to keep an eye on the temperature needle for any signs of unusual engine heating due to coolant leak

2. Do not check tyre air pressure when they are running hot. In short trips, there is no need to check air pressure at all.

3. In case your engine oil change is falling due within the next 2000 kms or so, please change the engine oil before the trip
Thanks a lot, HVK. I keep an extra bottle of coolant on long drives. Engine oil change is due only after 5k kms. Unfortunately, Liva does not have a Temp Gauge. I will know only when the warning light for overheating comes on. I should be alert for this happening, apart from the physical check of the coolant level. Thanks, again.
jhaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 18:25   #204
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 867
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Hi Guys,

I am planning a road trip from Jalandhar to Asansol around the 10th of July. We will be 4 adults and an infant. Also it will be an all female group barring me.
So my question is how safe are the roads? And what is the quality of the roads? Also what is the nature of the traffic...is it mostly comprised of trucks & buses or families frequent the roads too?
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 20:17   #205
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,430
Thanked: 9,658 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
...road trip from Jalandhar to Asansol around the 10th of July. We will be 4 adults and an infant. Also it will be an all female group barring me.
So my question is how safe are the roads? And what is the quality of the roads? Also what is the nature of the traffic...is it mostly comprised of trucks & buses or families frequent the roads too?
The roads are quite safe, except that you might not want to travel through eastern UP, BR & JH at night. Daytime, there are no issues that I have ever faced.

Unlike the NH1, you'll find infrequent private passenger vehicle traffic in east UP, BR & JH - it's mostly trucks, and local rural transport vehicles. Upto Allahabad you'll have plenty of private LMV traffic with families keeping you company.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 23:45   #206
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,828 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

With my experience and knowledge about BR, JH and NH2, I would say that there would be no issues, esp if you limit your travel during the day. It's not that its too bad at night, but prefer day time travel. You can find private cars and even people on bikes in this section, hence not to worry. Do watch out for traffic coming from opposite direction in the wrong lane and do not overspeed. Following all these you should be fine.
Not too many great places to eat in this section, hence, you may have to settle for small desi dhabas.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 21:38   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,289
Thanked: 242 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Except for the brief stretch through Hazaribagh you never really feel like you are very far away from civilisation. You have to choose the toilet breaks carefully/sensibly though. Don't expect any jazzy dhabas.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 15:23   #208
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 74
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

After six long months of being captivated in Kolkata, finally drove out.
For me it was again "molla-r daur masjid porjantyo".
Kolkata - Dhanbad - Kolkata

Some updates:
Toll collection started at Dankuni & Palsit, both @ Rs 40/- for single journey.
Panagarh roads have again broken. Scarred stretches on Kol-Durgapur side, and craters on Durgapur-Kol side.
No toll still after Asansol. Seems tool booth is shifting to Mugma (Jharkhand), saw small iron "goomti-s" along NH-2 @ Mugma and notices of toll. Could not read while driving. But Seemed 65/- for single journey. Nothing started till now.
This time took my new Ritz Vdi in place of my M800. Journey time same, as driving speed was same. Mileage: Approx 20kmpl with AC on 100% time.

Rest as usual. Got more "respect" on Dhanbad roads with a Ritz Vdi, during local travel.

Regards,
Saurav

Last edited by sauravdc : 14th July 2013 at 15:27.
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 08:55   #209
BHPian
 
lapis_lazuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zilla Ghaziabad
Posts: 413
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Dear veterans and enthusiasts,

I am planning a DEL-LKO-KOL-DEL trip in my puny Punto 1.2. A few questions:

1) Does it make sense to carry 3 adults and a kid with luggage and embark on a journey as this on the Punto 1.2? The car is <15k on the odo, serviced in time and only suffers from a few rattles and squeaks. I drive sedately, too, boringly sedate. My over speed alarm is normally set at 70! The car does 120 comfortably though!

2) For the mandatory prep part, I will search in the forums.

3) I need to cross UP, Bihar, Jharkhand and then WB. My car is UP14. Now, apart from tolls, what about latest state taxes? I mean the temporary ones? One thing is "it is not required" or "you can easily sneak past" options while the other is the actual rule. I posted on Kolkata Traffic Police Facebook page, which first replied that the car will be DEFINITELY seized if WB road tax not paid. On mentioning a few days stay and citing the 1 year rule, they replied TEMPORARY TAX MUST BE PAID AT CONCERNED RTO, whatever that means. Now Kolkata was just an example. What about BR, JH etc? Last thing I want to do , is to grease palms. ( OT: I got the full familys' passport renewed and minor sons' passport using TATKAL by not paying a single paisa bribe)

So, what exactly do you people advise? I mean for some of you, the Del-Kol road trip : its as trivial as visiting the local fish market, sheesh!

SS-da, Predatorwheelz, other veterans...what does the rulebook say? Or is it comfortably silent?

Regards,

Ranajay

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 20th September 2013 at 09:00.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 09:06   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Dear veterans and enthusiasts,

I am planning a DEL-LKO-KOL-DEL trip in my puny Punto 1.2. A few questions:

1) Does it make sense to carry 3 adults and a kid with luggage and embark on a journey as this on the Punto 1.2? The car is <15k on the odo, serviced in time and only suffers from a few rattles and squeaks. I drive sedately, too, boringly sedate. My over speed alarm is normally set at 70! The car does 120 comfortably though!

2) For the mandatory prep part, I will search in the forums.

3) I need to cross UP, Bihar, Jharkhand and then WB. My car is UP14. Now, apart from tolls, what about latest state taxes? I mean the temporary ones? One thing is "it is not required" or "you can easily sneak past" options while the other is the actual rule. I posted on Kolkata Traffic Police Facebook page, which first replied that the car will be DEFINITELY seized if WB road tax not paid. On mentioning a few days stay and citing the 1 year rule, they replied TEMPORARY TAX MUST BE PAID AT CONCERNED RTO, whatever that means. Now Kolkata was just an example. What about BR, JH etc? Last thing I want to do , is to grease palms. ( OT: I got the full familys' passport renewed and minor sons' passport using TATKAL by not paying a single paisa bribe)

So, what exactly do you people advise? I mean for some of you, the Del-Kol road trip : its as trivial as visiting the local fish market, sheesh!

SS-da, Predatorwheelz, other veterans...what does the rulebook say? Or is it comfortably silent?

Regards,

Ranajay
The route has fully 4-laned roads, no problem for any car, whatever be the load.

There are no RTO or police issues anywhere en route as long as long as you are travelling in a private car.

You do not have to pay any taxes or permit charges anywhere.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NH2: Delhi to Kolkata, Puri, Benaras, back to Delhi - 5000 km SS-Traveller Travelogues 104 11th April 2016 12:58
Sunday Solo drive: Kolkata to Bolpur (Santiniketan) via NH2 / 2B Kumar R Travelogues 26 13th December 2015 23:59
Predator conquers NH2 - Kolkata to Delhi EDIT: Now once again! predatorwheelz Travelogues 43 30th March 2014 21:04
Kolkata TBhp meet 7th April - Drive to Azad Hind Dhaba on NH2 BlackPearl The Team-BHP Meet Section 128 3rd September 2012 13:40
Route detail Nagpur - Ranchi - Patna? pramods The Indian Car Scene 0 24th January 2006 12:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks