Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st May 2009, 10:33   #1
sps
BHPian

Default Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam

Travelogue part 1
Destination is an excuse, Ride is the reason.
Many a times true for all passionate riders. For me it is no different either. I always love to be in places which is greener,
natural and not crowded. Always believe that there are lots and lots of such places very near to me.
Got an invitation for a marriage at Marthandom, a place near Kerala Tamil Nadu border in the southern side of India. My
colleagues arranged for a vehicle to attend this. But for me it is an occasion to ride. Since I am not taking my family I can try
the best mode of transport which I love. Bulletting .
Well the distance to destination was a mere 50km. The normal route - a very busy highway. Googled and got a new route.
Travel through the roads pretty close to the beaches and explore the exotic locations too. One of my friends agreed to be the
pillion
My steed is ready for the journey ahead.
Name:  01SteedReady.jpg
Views: 8276
Size:  49.9 KB
Started my trip early in the morning. Picked my pillion and headed straight to Kovalam. The morning breeze when travelling
through the bypass road to Kovalam is simply an energizer. Sets up body to take a toll of sun later on. I did not go to the
Kovalam beach. Turned left from Kovalam toward Vizhinjam. The roads were narrow. Crowded by people. Traffic was less. As
usual lots of eyes were falling on my chrome machine and this kind of admiration no one can ignore. I was cruising slowly.
My pillion was looking around for some small roads towards the right which will lead to beaches.

At this time we were not aware that we are going to find something like this.
Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-02firstlocation.jpg
More of this place in my next post

This journey was done in May 2007, it was a very short journey, still I thought I will post this, since it might be useful for tbhpians who will be visiting Kovalam
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 16:17   #2
sps
BHPian

Default Azhimala Temple and Beach

Part 2

After about 10kms from Kovalam in the Kovalam - Poovar route we saw a board which points to the Azhimala Temple. On enquiring, the local people said that the temple is on a beach side. Decided to explore this temple. There were sign boards pointing to this temple throughout the road.

In a short while we reached the temple. From here itself we could see the sea. We went inside the temple. It was really a calm and quiet place, the temple had no modernization to its credit. So it had that original look.
This is the azhimala temple
Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-03azhimalatemple.jpg

The temple was on top of some rocks. You can see myself standing on top of the rocks outside the temple.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-04rockoutsideazhimala.jpg

We had to descent the rock to reach the beach. When we reached bottom we could see the magnificient beach. There was simply
no crowd at all. I wonder why all people jam into Kovalam beach for all the fun. Why can't some of them be here so that they can
enjoy more. The tree shades near the rock gives a perfect place to rest with the cool sea breeze. The view of the rocks which we
descended from the beach was amazing (The last picture given in the first post shows this view)

The never ending beach.
Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-05beachnearazhimala.jpg

This water body was found on one side of the beach. Even this water is quite clear without any garbage.
Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-05beachnearazhimala1.jpg

After relaxing on this beach side for sometime we decided to proceed with our journey.

Next location - chovara cliff - in part 3
sps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 17:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Part 2

There was simply
no crowd at all. I wonder why all people jam into Kovalam beach for all the fun. Why can't some of them be here so that they can
enjoy more.
Then it will spoil the beauty of nature. Let it be as it is!!!

Awesome beach.. Waiting for your next part.
viv1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:44   #4
sps
BHPian

Default Chovvara cliff

Part 3

Varkala cliff near the varkala beach is well known for the beautiful view it offers from the top. We had heard of a similar cliff in this part also.

Enquired with the local people and found out that one such cliff exists near to an ayyappa temple. The roads were really narrow, with lot of greenery surrounding it. Bulletting through such roads is pure fun, where we enjoy losing our way and returning which will ensure that we are on roads with nature's company for a prolonged time.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-10road.jpg

At last after so many successfull route queries we were near the cliff. There were lots of trees there. We could see one scotter parked in between the trees. So decided to take my bull between the trees to the edge of the cliff.

VOILA!! what a majestic view. Just see this. My bull seemed to shine more seeing this sight.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-06machoenjoyingchovara.jpg

I love greenery. Its sooo soothing to eyes.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-07cliff1.jpg

The color mix of this painting was awesome. The green followed by the yellow of sand, followed by the blue sea and then the blue sky in another tone. When it comes to explaining the beauty of nature words are hard to come by.
Hope the pictures will speak for itself.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-07cliff2.jpg

This cliff is as beautiful as varkala cliff, if not more. The ride on top of the cliff amidst the trees gives a different feel altogether.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-08ridingoutcliff.jpg

I did take some rounds through this area to just have that feel.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-09ridingoutcliff1.jpg

We left this place with immense satisfaction.
Again the narrow and winding roads and again the rider in me was motivated. Love the way the bull handles the curves. The steep roads adds to the fun.

Unexplored exotic locations near Kovalam-11road.jpg

The steps which you see towards my right side in the above pic, is the way leading to the ayyappa temple which can be reached by trekking. A common belief is that women can trek through this path during the sabairmala season equivalent to men trekking the sabarimala hills to worship lord ayyappa.

Soon I understood that we have to reach in time for my friends marriage. Decided not to explore further on beaches near kovalam. Soon we hit NH 47 in the trivandrum Nagercoil stretch. I simply breezed through these roads and reached the destination. Soon the riders mind in me started thiinking of places which I could visit after the function is over. Decided to ride to thirpparapp. (to be continued on part 3)
sps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 09:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Very nice pictures. Some of them make you feel as if your out of the country and not in gods own country

Thanks for sharing even if it was a couple of years old
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 11:18   #6
BANNED

Good one. I was in TVM for more than a year, but has seen only the crowded part of Kovalam and used to hate it. This gives me good reason to be there some time
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 23:53   #7
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Very nice pictures. Some of them make you feel as if your out of the country and not in gods own country
Thanks for sharing even if it was a couple of years old
Thanks. The place is really beautiful. Especially after monsoon. I did this ride in may 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Good one. I was in TVM for more than a year, but has seen only the crowded part of Kovalam and used to hate it. This gives me good reason to be there some time
Nice that you got a reason for a drive. There are some resorts near these places.
Old 5th May 2009, 14:25   #8
BHPian

Thumbs up

waiting for more pics and words from the tamilnadu area sps. I'm planningt to do a 1 day trip in the marthandam-nagercol-kanyakumari areas to click some pics. I love to visit azhimala and surrounding areas during monsoon season. its awesome when the sea comes at you. here are some monsoon pics.

Mysticeyes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 22:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice pcis. How many kms did you travel? Did you travel this in one day?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 13:44   #10
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nice pcis. How many kms did you travel? Did you travel this in one day?
It is just a 60km travel one way. Easily completed in a day. Any one can spare a day to visit these places when in trivandrum. Almost all beach stretches in this area are beautiful
Old 28th September 2009, 13:42   #11
BHPian

Nice pictures, i am planning on a visit to Kovalam, Poovar and Chowara, Is there anything in particular that i should not miss?
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 15:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Damn!!
Been to Trivandrum more than a 100 times and never knew such places exist.

More pictures
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 15:28   #13
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Damn!!
Been to Trivandrum more than a 100 times and never knew such places exist.

More pictures
you can find a lot of such places all along the coastal area. Currently I don't have more pictures of this place. Plan to visit these areas again this month. Will sure take more pics and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Nice pictures, i am planning on a visit to Kovalam, Poovar and Chowara, Is there anything in particular that i should not miss?
Last month when I visited Kovalam, beach was non existent. The sea had reached almost the tip of seaside shops due to the heavy rains.
If you are visiting Poovar, you can visit/stay in one of those resorts in the island.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tips. Was fed up of Kovalam. Are any of these places used for "bali"? I would not fancy having an outing at such place.

Also, I request to give directions in the "North / South / East / West" format, rather than turn "left / right".
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 18:55   #15
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thanks for the tips. Was fed up of Kovalam. Are any of these places used for "bali"? I would not fancy having an outing at such place.

Also, I request to give directions in the "North / South / East / West" format, rather than turn "left / right".
No these places are not used for "bali".

All these places can be reached by travelling further south of kovalam, by the routes alongside the coastal area.