Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd May 2009, 21:51   #16
BHPian

Hey! Great pics!! Isn't it amazing that in this country of ours , there are so many things that are waiting to be discovered?
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Very true trrk. The brige should've been maintained atleast as pedestrian walk way.
We had a beautiful pier here which is almost completely gone now. The authorities have been talking about renovating them since they were in a condition when it would have been easy!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 21:34   #18
BHPian

Thanks guys for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Thanks for reviving some fond memories. Pl. post some more pictures if you have.
My pleasure. Here you go

Went for an evening drive and found a piece of history-dsc00439.jpg
Went for an evening drive and found a piece of history-dsc00450.jpg
Went for an evening drive and found a piece of history-dsc00456.jpg
Went for an evening drive and found a piece of history-dsc00458.jpg
Went for an evening drive and found a piece of history-dsc00462.jpg

I hope these are enough. We didn't take much pics anyway due to the
rain.
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 22:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
We had a beautiful pier here which is almost completely gone now. The authorities have been talking about renovating them since they were in a condition when it would have been easy!
OT: Yep, been there, seen that. Real sad that the govt is not taking any sensible steps to restore these pieces of history.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 22:51   #20
BHPian

darklord,
Great pictures and thanks for bringing the beauty of eastern hills of south Kerala.

Punalur happens to be my hometown!

The suspension bridge at Punalur is said to be one of the longest after Howrah, built by the British. Till the new bridge was constructed in late 1970s, traffic used to be allowed on the old bridge.

The utter disregard the authorities had for such an engineering marvel was evidenced when the Kerala Water Authority was running leaking water pipes over the bridge which was responsible for the damage that we see in pictures! The rest of the damage was inflicted by scrap pickers who removed solid iron pins holding teak planks. The rest of the world will find it difficult to believe that a series of protests were needed to shift those water pipes and save any remains as we see now.

There was a time when people could go for a stroll and enjoy the breeze on the bridge, now if anyone attempts such a thing, will get arrested for attempted suicide!
vijuvarghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Never heard of this bridge before. Looks exquisitely antique, and totally out of place in the backdrop of a busy town. Thanks for the pics, darklord.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 09:58   #22
BHPian

What a wonderful bridge it is. Sad to see it not being maintained by the local authorities. If this was in the West, they have maintainied it and would have collected hefty fee from visitors.

Lovely pics and hope you find many more wonderful locations and this would help visit these places.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 11:23   #23
BHPian

Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but there was this article in today's Malayala Manorama. Thought I would share it with you people.

A photo of the bridge circa 1932. Sorry for the bad pic. Direct photo from newspaper, no scanner in home.
Went for an evening drive and found a piece of history-dsc01285.jpg

The article was essentially about a renewal contract given out five years ago and how the contractor cheated the government by using substandard wood as replacement. I was thinking that the planks were from 1872 ; as it turns out it is actually just five years old.

Some other info from the article:
Apparently the iron parts for the bridge was shipped to Kollam from Ireland and transported to the site using elephant-drawn carts. Took five years for the bridge to complete, at a cost of 3 lakh rupees. Inagurated on August 1, 1877. Was doing it's duty till 1984, for 107 long years; and then, it succumbed to the greed of the very own people for whom it was built.

Sad.
darklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 16:53   #24
BHPian

DL, nice informative travelogue, sad that the bridge is in this shape, hope that the generations coming would have some more understanding of such monuments.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 21:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Magic,

You are a great taveller. This thread reminded of my trip by Hero Honda CD 100 to Kerala. Yest The wonderful scenic beauty all the way from Trivandrum - Punalur- Shengkottah. I think you went that side during the off season of Topioca plants. I remember the mountain full of Topioca plants. A great scene those days for we tamilians.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 21:50   #26
BHPian

Wow, Thats some History there.
I really love the second last pic.
Bumble Beast is offline   Reply With Quote