Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th June 2005, 17:46   #16
F50
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

BOMBAY TO GOA
Starring : Aditya, Dippy, Drifter, F50, Nitroxx, Stratos. ( and guest appearance by ...)
Inanimate Starring : Contessa Classic and Accent Crdi.

Come 28th May the dream of 6 people, finally took shape. The trip to Goa was atlast happening.
Six Bhpians, Aditya, Dippy, Drifter, F50(me), Nitroxx, Stratos were out to enjoy Goa to the fullest. Some where regulars such as Aditya and Nitroxx and some were first-timers like Stratos, Drifter and myself visting after a decade or so. We all were even more excited because this was a road trip. As Addy was describing about the roads to Goa it gave a very clear pothole free picture of NH-17 and so it turned out to be the same except for some rumble strips. Trip was a rockin' one, hope to go to Goa next time around with more people.

Day 1 : May 28, 2005 : Road To Goa!!!

This was the day when I never regretted to get up at 4.15 am in the morning. Gave a morning alarm call to Drifter but he still seemed to be in deep sleep. At around 5.30 am I was picked up by Nitroxx and Dippy in his City. Reached Addy's place and was waiting for Drifter to come but he called up and said he'll be late coz ...... he was having breakfast!! 5.30 in the morning?
So, we proceed towards Sion Circle in Addy's Contessa where "The Official Drifter for Tata Motors" was standing. Shortly we were joined by our own Drifter. Finally, everyone sorted out the places, Drifter was joined by me and Stratos whereas Nitroxx and Dippy with Addy. So we are set enjoy our holidays. Goa Here We Come!!
The roads were beautiful and keeping the car below 100 was an insult to that car. Leading the way was the Conti with black rims, overtaking the slower vehicles was fun. When Addy used to overtake a car/truck for some reason or the other Drifter was not able to .... but when cleared the Conti was long gone. We used to take 15-20 mins before we catch up with him or rather he used to slow down. Drifter was very happy that he finally found the Hip-Hop songs he was dyin' for and also helped by some jokes cracked by Stratos, we never had a boring moment throughout the 600 km journey.
At around 10.30 am, we were around 250+ kms away from Bombay and we stopped at Mahad for breakfast. It was a very famous joint for food I think the name was Visawa. There was a sportsbike standing there and he told some others were also going to come. But by the time we left he was also gone. After an hours break we again started to roll. Going through the ghats where Drifter's Accent dominated Conti, whereas 'Contessa' was the name written all over the straights. After 300 kms Drifter decided to take a break and handed the wheel over to Stratos, he also negotiated some beautiful curvy roads and testing the amount of grip left in the bald tyres. Again around at 1.30 pm or so we stopped for lunch break, spent over an hour over there and Goa seemed to be near. It was some 160 kms away and those 160-1 km was handled by me with Drifter being the Co- driver and a sleeping driver (Stratos). Finally we reached Goa around 5.30 pm. There were some booking confusions but were sorted out by a wonderful lady ( Drifter... uh huh). He thought of something and it turned out to be something else, poor Drifter. The deal was fixed with 3 persons in the room and the combination remained unchanged for the rooms, same as the car. After taking shower, Stratos, Nitroxx, Dippy and Addy goes straight into the pool with Drifter scared of water having too much of chlorine and that will affect his skin, so Drifter and I decided to checkout some nearby places. We found a cool beach, a part of Condolim Beach, where a ship was stranded over there from past 6 yrs or so it was real close and long. Then when we were back all were still in the pool and after sometime we leave our hotel in search of food. This was on the Calangute Beach, the hotel was on the beach itself. Food was reasonably good and a paradise for non-veg eaters, too bad im veg. The only problem was the service out there it was damn slow. Then being tired we tried to go off to sleep but troubling Drifter was in store.

Day 2 : May 29, 2005 : Refreshing Beaches

Fresh as a daisy, we hit the Cincarium ( spelling may be wrong) Beach for some water rides. Nitroxx was off to do some jet ski along with Stratos. Then we saw something which sounded real fun and everyone was ready to come except Drifter, we some how managed to get along on the Banana Ride. Most of the frequent visiters to Goa must be knowing about this but for this who dont know its kinda inflated banana tied to a speed boat and takes you right in the middle of the sea and while taking turn it looses its balance and all people aboard falls into the water. Our very own James Bond (Drifter) found out, that the person sitting behind was doing it purposely. Altogether we fell 3 times in the water and 2nd time all were aboard except me coz i was drifting away in the water and I dont know swimming thanks to life jacket im still alive.
After that, Addy and Nitroxx went for parasailing whereas Drifty, Stratos and me were chilling out in water.And thanks to our camera-man Dippy to capture all those wonderful moments.
Then just saw some beaches and places nearby shown by our very own in house guide Addy. Stratos seemed to enjoyed this day very much after all he was riding for the first time on Activa. It was Sunday and we were hoping to see the F1 race but there was no cable recepton at that time. So we were just chatting and sharing some experiences with pandus and cars etc. along with some Portwine. Then we headed-off for dinner to Viva Goa. Nice food i must say along with chill beer. Second day was coming to an end, highlighting the best moments of the day in our rooms we went off to sleep.

Day 3 : May 30, 2005 : Promenade en Panji

By today Drifter found that Tracks 6, 9 , 22 , 26 were his favourite along with his much awaited love in goa girl (guest appearance..???). Today, we were off to Panji to see some temples and churches around Old Goa and further. Churches were very nice, Cathedrals etc. and a very nice joke was also formed out there, remember Addy. After having lunch in Panji and wandering around in the markets of Panji. Roads all over Goa were fantastic and same was seen in Panji. After returning we decided to cool off at beach. So we were there, the sea seemed to be rough and dark clouds raising in the background saying one thing ' Im gonna come, down, really fast'.
This was the best part, it started to rain and many things were discovered. Wind blowing along with rain falling real hard everyone started to run towards our cars coz the cars were partly in mud so if it becomes muddy out there, then we would be stranded for good. Addy having the keys of both the cars is casually walking whereas some with V2 Superchargers were covering distance pretty fast. We some how were able to remove he cars in time and after reaching we straight away headed for pool. Then later when it was getting dark we realised that there were no lights and it would be taking good amount of time to come. So we decided to take dinner early. Some parts of the road were already flooded. We finished our dinner very early then we thought that Calangute might be having lights but we were disappointed. Then suddenly we thought of going to Panji and electricity would surely be there. We reached Panji, we were very happy to discover lights, chilled off at CCD for an hour or so and went through one of my happiest moments of my life!!!
Then, standing on the Riverfront it was so cool and calm no pandus to bug you just some cool car talks and laughs over day's jokes. Around 12.30 we came back and still the talks continued. With Drifter blushing over ............................

Day 4 : May 31, 2005 : Hit Day!!!

This was the last day in Goa .....so this day was reserved for shopping and stuff. We headed towards nearby market and to get Drifter's wheel repaired. Shopping was done by Dippy and Stratos. We had lunch and off to beach for the last time. There was high tide on that day which was bad news for me as I have to stand near the shore as i dont know swimming. Then it was turning a bit rough, washing the shores with some bottles and cans and Drifter and Addy. Both of them were slashed by the waves badly.
I remember some scenes :
Drifter - " These are not strong, wont affect me"
Woooshhh !!!! He is gone and found on the shores.
Addy - " Yeh to kuch nahi, im a regular, i have seen worst then this"
Oo !!!! Washed away by two mighty ones.
Man, after some laugh and some more hits we were back in our hotel. Back into pool and chilling off. Had good dinner not for me actually... and went to Riverfront and had to come back early coz Stratos was not feeling well. Again we sat in Addy's room with chilled breezers, wine and liqour to add more fun. And amount of fun we had, never stopped laughing for even for a second, all thanks to Nitroxx. The main subject was ....... Drifter's love girl ..... Should I say the name .... Drifty? Stratos you missed out here.

Day 5 : June 01, 2005 : Long Live Goa!!!

It was very hard to believe but it was true ..... we were leaving Goa.... not a single one of us wanted to go back, we tried in all possible manner but no positive results.
We started off our journey back to Bombay at 6 am. Intially looking at the sky, we thought the rain might just hold up but we were wrong only 15 mins and it started to pour like cats and dogs. Driving very slowly we stopped for breakfast, the same place where we had our lunch on the way to Goa. Covered only 150 kms in 3 hrs we were slow but who was in the hurry to reach. After breakfast there was very little rain and after sometime it stopped. Same ol' beautiful roads.
Then, for the next 25 kms or even more we had a very nice time with a Petrol Indigo (right?) silver in color and driven by some gujju guy. Intially we passed him and he came charging and again overtook us and all 3 cars stopped coz the road was blocked as a tree had fallen. It was cleared, we were good to roll, again Drifter on his tail. And this was the best part, when we checked our rear mirrors we saw a wide car with lights on charging towards you curve by curve, i love Conti and it will be my next car but after looking that i have no words .... only one thing was left, give side to Addy and immidiately he was on the tail of Indigo just like Schumi was behind Alonso. Im sure the Indigo guy must be scared even to check his rear view mirrors. The Conti was looking so deadly, with only two lights on, tearing the street apart and oversteering its way through curves. Then again we hit the ghat section, by now you all must know the person who rules the ghats, Drifter it was a piece of cake to overtake both cars and Indigo on stock tires was no match. The Indigo guy took a turn at Chiplun and was on another route. We stopped for 5 mins then back to business. But, we never wanted to end our trip this way.
In the ghats suddenly the Conti stopped and there after refused to start. Dippy called us as we were pretty ahead of them and told us about what happened. We took a U turn and checked out and then decided to get the mechanic from Chiplun which was some 2 kms away. He told you have to take the car over there, so got a rope and tied it to Crdi and Conti was towed to Chiplun. Then we found out that Timing Belt was gone and some bearing as well and parts were not available. So after taking some advice, Addy decided to keep the car and come back next day to pick it up. So luggage was transfered to Crdi and 6 people now in Accent sure it was crampy but we managed. Stopped for some coffee at Mahad and back on the road again. Negotiating the traffic of Mumbai was tiring. It took us 17 hrs to reach Bombay but never a boring moment, we actually never felt those 17hrs same way we never felt those 12hrs while going. It was absolutely rocking trip. I just wish that we keep going to Goa every year and with more people next time.

Highlights :
a) The Jeeps, 4 x 4, Gypsies out there which was given on rent were so well maintained it was a real treat to watch them. CJ lovers would have been so happy. Especially those Orange Jeeps.
b) The road to Goa is awesome.
c) And if you have fantastic friends like these, there will never ever be a light moment.
d) Dippy refused to sit in Drifter's car even with AC on .... why ?? ... he was bored of listening to Tracks 6,9,17,22,26. Hip-Hop Rules!!!
e) Vipul !!! Remember Guys!!!

P.S. - Guest Appearance - Sophiya aka Sophiiiiii...... sorry Drifter .....

Last edited by Stratos : 8th June 2005 at 19:55.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 18:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. - Guest Appearance - Sophiya aka Sophiiiiii...... sorry Drifter .....
I hate you man, i told you no sophi on the forum...will get my revenge you wait!!!

Quote:
We reached Panji, we were very happy to discover lights, chilled off at CCD for an hour or so and went through one of my happiest moments of my life!!!
Congratulations...but it still wont save you from my revenge.
My report is almost done will come up in sometime. Sorry for the delay...my computer is not working.

And yeah nice write up...felt as if we were back in goa.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 8th June 2005 at 18:37.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 18:57   #18
Team-BHP Support

Post report

A very wonderfully detailed report F50 - seems like it came right from the heart!

Goa is such a wonderful and exotic place that you just cannot get tired of visting - the beaches, the food, the old village charm spliced-in with remnants from the victorian era, the laid-back life-style, bikini-clad women riding roaring Enfileds, Addy's Contessa (lol),.... it just goes on & on & on.

Glad you guys had such a wonderful time in Goa - I would have loved to join you on your trip - hopefully, the next time around.

waiting for Drifter's report now.

ad

Last edited by aah78 : 8th June 2005 at 19:06. Reason: modifying content
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 20:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

365 Days on a holiday??? You Bet!!!

Team-BHP goes to Goa.

PIC

Featured Cars
Hyundai Accent CRDi - Kms covered - 1484kms, 2 Tankfulls. Overall Fuel Economy 16.5 kmpl.
Hindustan Motors Contessa Classic 1.8 (details not available)
[CAR PICs]

Members
Drifter, F50, Stratos, Aditya, Nitroxx, Dippy.

After quite some time in the pipeline...teambhp finally went to goa. It had been a long time coming.
Everything had to be meticulously planned, thats why this trip took so long to materialise.
All schedules had to cleared for this one exhilarating week in goa, and what a week it was. Read on.

Few days before departure
It was planned initially that the trip would last from 28th May 2005 to 2nd June 2005...but 1st june was later agreed as the day of arrival back in mumbai. We cant wait to get started. Cars that were in contention - Nitroxx' cousins scorpio, accent crdi as the second car.
But due to reasons beyond our control both those cars could not be arranged. So our conty - as we lovinly call her was put up for duty. And believe me this is one comfortable car...perfect for those long hauls. Budgets had to be finalised. Cars had to be prepared for the long journey.
All these things taken care of...we were just about ready to hit the roads.

27th May, Time 11.30pm.
Everybody seems to have done their packing...and here i am still lazing around the house. I find most of our team online...i can see everyone is very excited about tomorrows journey. I remember telling f50 that i was forgetting something...this i would only realise when we reached goa.
The excitment is so immense im having a hard time sleeping. Finally i do sleep at around 2.30am.
Leave time is 6am. Meet place is sion circle.

28th May, Time 4.00am.
F50 makes the usual wake up call...and as usual it takes me about half an hour to come to my senses. The plan is to meet at adityas house in prabhadevi and pick up stratos from sion circle.
But i was late (read mom wasnt let me out on an empty stomach, and some last minute packing)...so couldnt make it to addys house...so instead went off to sion circle to pick up stratos who i find waiting with his dad.
The conty arrives seconds behind me. After the usual drive safe and all the best messages from stratos' dad...we depart on time 6.00am.
The early morning departure took me back to our recent drive to lonavala. The roads were the same. The cool breeze and almost no traffic. And we were eating up the miles at a pretty good pace.
Easily maintaining around 120kmph. Addys knowledge of these roads really showed. The conty would leave the accent for dead when it overtook those ST busses while i would cheekily poke out my nose from behind these busses only to find oncoming traffic.
Can you imagine how frustrating it can be to be stuck behind 3-4 ST busses and lorries all trying to overtake each other at the same time. In all this confusion...the cars become invisible...so i watch them play with each other from a safe distance...would overtake only when i am sure.
That made us loose a lot of time to the conty. So on the open stretches the accent would be doing 140-150kmph for short durations in order to make up time with the conty.
Its best to blow the horn...i had a real good time with the horn...especially with those cows and other wildlife crossing the highway every now and then.
You have to live by your horn on these highways.

Nature calls give us a welcome break a little ahead of karnala. Some members relieve themselves while others take time to stretch out.
Our next stop would be Visawa, Mahad about 200kms from mumbai for breakfast.
Here we take time to stretch our legs...its starting to get a little hot but nothing uncomfortable. There was this nice little cage of hamsters...but dont think any pics were taken. After having a nice breakfast we are back on the roads.
The ghat sections have started...and the crdi with bucket loads of torque is simply a joy to drive, racing lines, tyres squealing and engines screaming. Slow in and fast out. Anyone can drive fast in a straight line...its the twisties where the driver skill comes in. For a change the conty was behind us...but was keeping up gamely.
We stop at some sections to take in the sights.
One incident that happened during this time...the conty was following us closely...speeds around 80kmph...and out of nowhere we find these unmarked rumble stips (set of continuous small speedbreakers). I brake I lock But i Stop. The conty approaches this with a slightly different technique...he sees us brake he swerves he goes over the damn things with no change in speed. This punishment knocks one of the spark plug cables loose.
And the conty is reduced to 3 cylinders. While the conty stops in search of its 4th cylinder...we are zooming ahead unknowingly. After sometime we realise theres nothing but a clear road behind us with no sign of the conty. So we stop under a tree and give ourselves a break while the conty plays catch up.

[PIC]

Its afternoon...and it has become hot...while me stratos and f50 are in the accent are chilling in the AC. Addy is driving without clothes . And others are suffering hehe.
Around 1pm, somewhere before sindhudurg district after driving around 300kms...i give up my driving seat to stratos. He drives another 150kms...its lunch time and we stop at a place in sindhudurg district. It goes by the name of Hotel Madhuban. Here the others have a light lunch...im not so hungry...we were munching on something or the other on our way in the accent.
The last leg of the journey F50 takes a go on the wheel of the accent. During this time we have our conversations other than cars. Time flies and so does the accent at sometimes. The conty is far ahead of us, by now thats not an unusual sight so we decide to let it be and cruise at a comfortable pace. Its evening and we cross the border over to goa...minutes behind the conty. They are found waiting just a little ahead.
The roads are narrow here...and again we are found cursing the slow moving busses who wouldnt let us pass. Around 5pm, we are heading towards candolim and our resort 'perola do mar'. After a few phone calls to know the exact location of the place we are back on track. Addy decides to wear clothes again . Around 6pm we reach perola do mar and are introduced to a certain person at the reception...
We get our room keys...addy dippy and nitroxx grab room 112 which is better than our room 410. They are nice rooms with a hall and bedroom with an attached bathroom and toilet and thanfully airconditioned. Our AC seemed to have trouble in cooling the room...but that wasnt such a big issue.
All of us take a bath...while the others chill out in the resort swimming...f50 and i go out to explore and make our usual calls back home...we find a nice little beach...but dont stray too much from the car as it is dark...we decide to come back in the morning.

[PIC]

Night time we are all hungry and our guide addy takes us to this restaraunt at calangute beach. Seafood is good...really good. Im a little reluctant so i settle for chinese...while others enjoy on tandooris fish and beer.
We dont even come to know how the time passed as we ate dinner...the atmosphere is such. Everyone is in a holiday mood and the good music just adds to this. On our way back, nitroxx goes to a supermarket to shop for liqour...he ends up buying so much that it would easily last the whole trip. And alcohol is cheap here...hehe.
But the service there was damn slow...i get depressed when i dont eat and it shows.
Around 12am we reach the resort and retire to our room...
In our room 410...stratos calls it a day and is trying to sleep while i and f50 chat making all efforts to disturb nishant. He gets back on us the next morning.

29th May, Time - too early!!!
I hear the intercomm ring for a while...but no way am i gonna get up and answer...so stratos goes and answers the call...its dippys wake up call. I and f50 are still asleep. Stratos gets back on us for last night...and rings my cellphone (why did i have to keep it on) and it has a very irritating ring...just makes you want to throw it out the window. I curse in my sleep looking for my phone to answer this person who is calling me at this unearthly hour (7am) .
Todays plan is to go to chill out at the beaches. So we are off first is Aguada beach...where the water sports are conducted. Nitroxx is eager to go on the wave runners. So stratos and nitroxx go for an exhilarating ride on the waves...while we watch from the beach. Next up is the banana ride...this an inflatable boat shaped somewhat like a banana which is towed behind a speedboat...however there is a catch which i would find out only after getting on it.
The banana ride person says that there have to be atleast 5 people...so im the last one left apart from dippy...dippy warns me it will get swamped in the waves. But nitroxx does a better job of convincing me otherwise. So i decide to get on. Right around this time i realise what i had forgotten to pack...SHORTS!!!! CRAP How could i forget. That notwithstanding...i fold up my jeans and head into the water along with a life jacket.
Dippy sits at the beach and probably laughing at my foolishness. The speed boat catches feet...nitroxx instructs me to counter the waves by shifting my weight...yeah right...will get you for this mickey!!!

Without warning im under the water seeing bubbles everywhere...and swallowing a lot of water in the process. First i thought it was an accident...only when it happened again in 5 minutes i realised that this was delibrate. The second time we fall we see f50 drifting away from us still all smiles (he cant swim) hehe.
After the ride is over...we swim in the sea while addy and nitroxx are off for para-sailing. While i see them in the air...im thinking of ways to get revenge on mickey.
Time goes by very fast. We are hungry...so we head back to our hotel rooms freshen up and are back to hit the beaches this time for lunch. This time i try the seafood which i dont generally eat...i like it here .. i like it very much. The weather is just perfect cloudy and pleasant. We do the rounds of the market for some shopping. I finally buy some shorts.
We do some sightseeing fort aguada, mapusa market etc. Its evening time...the guys are again chilling out in the pool. I and f50 dont enter the water...i have problems with chlorinated water and f50 cant swim.

Night falls and we are back on the streets on our way to dinner. We eat at a place near by 'Viva Goa'. Really good meal. We are back in our rooms by 12am. In room 410...the usual...stratos trying his best to sleep while me and f50 do our best to disturb him hehehe...really enjoyed this part. And as usual stratos would get back on us with his early wake up calls.

30th May, Time - 7.30am.
The intercomm rings and my cell follows in a few minutes...i curse and i get up feeling cold because of the AC. Stratos would always be the first to sleep and wake up and then he would delibrately make us wait while he took his own sweet time taking a bath and stuff.
Today was our day to visit the temples, churches and old goa. Dippy was sick of hearing some of our hip hop numbers...but the AC was luring him back to the accent...but later on AC or no AC...dippy was always in the conty. We visited 4 temples in all. The roads in goa are amazingly smooth...Our municipal corporation BMC could learn a thing or two from goa. Such smooth roads are hard to find anywhere in bombay. Made driving there even more fun and memorable.
We visited the archeaological museum...which had us laughing all the way back...remember those portraits priyank and nishant? hehehe. It was very hot today...but these were signs of impending rain. We had a good lunch at panjim and a small shopping spree...where we spotted these two lancers in yellow which looked really hot...and even an EVO was spotted by nitroxx which had him running all alone down to street to try and catch a glimpse of it.
It was so hot we decided to hit the beaches...it was early evening...the waves looked rough...but we were like yeah whatever...we didnt go too close to the water...
Then to our relief we see huge rain clouds coming. Withing minutes it started pouring and our team was running for the cars which were parked in sand...while we ran like crazy with a supercharged dippy in the lead...addy with all the stuff including the car keys was casually walking way behind us. We managed to get to our cars without getting too wet...and got the cars out easily...by now it was raining cats and dogs and we could barely see what was infront of us.
I was secretly crying for my 'neons' which would be ruined by water...havent waterproofed them till now. Well 3 of them did get ruined...the others are still fine.
I was the only one that got my raincoat...the boys were like no its not going to rain in goa...yeah right.
We reach our hotel...and jump straight into the pool...chlorine or no chlorine i couldnt miss this...even f50 joined us. We were chilling in the rain...there was lightening all over the sky...was concerned that it might fall on us...but as usual the boys laughed it off. While in the pool...we unsuccessfully tried to teach f50 to swim. The power went out...so we decided to go in search of lights and have an early dinner. We eat a sumptuous dinner at Viva Goa.
And in our search for electricity we decide to hit panjim at around 9.30pm. We manage to find ourselves a Cafe Coffee Day outlet...where we settle down.
Conversations over cars are inevitable...but general talks are not left out. Our very own priyank has a very memorable moment right there at CCD. Looking at that i and stratos get reminded of our better halfs...and are busy with our respective girlfriends on the phone for sometime.

We leave from CCD around 11pm and are off to a waterfront at panjim...from CCD i ask nitroxx for the keys of the conty...to which he cheekily agrees...i thought that the waterfront is far from here...so i expected a longer drive...but to my surprise...the waterfront is barely a minute away...not even 100 meters i guess...
To this nitroxx is laughing his pants off. Haha.
We chill out at the waterfront...take some pics...the weather was perfect to be out. We living in bombay are always wary of the cops troubling us...but in goa there was no such problems...cops came cops went...we werent asked to move or anything. And yeah did i mention that i fell in love with those roads?
At around 12.30am...we decide to call it a night and are off back to our hotel rooms...i drive half way in the conty and the other half nitroxx.
We reach our hotel rooms...we are still in the mood for some more car talk...we head over to room 112 where we chill out on drinks and lots and lots of car talk.
Around 2.30am we are all very sleepy and decide to retire to our rooms...
We disturb stratos for a while as usual...get him irritated and fall asleep.

31st May, Time - 7.30am.
The usual routine of the intercomm ringing and stratos ringing my mobile...me cursing in my sleep starts our last day in goa.
The roads outside the window were wet...so it had rained last night...i was hoping it doesnt rain today...i didnt want to miss the beaches on our last day.
We go to the other room...chill out there for sometime...addy and i decide to go look for a bakery...but when we go down...one of the tyres on the accent is flat. We get some stuff to eat from the bakery...and are off for some shopping.
We finish our shopping in the markets. And decide to hit the beaches. I love the beaches.
The sea is not very strong today...even then addy and me get swamped the most by the waves...talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time...the waves would just throw us out onto the shores...while others enjoyed looking as the waves played with me and addy.
We spent what was left of the day in the water...enjoying every moment. It made me really sad thinking that we were going back to our 'now boring' lives back in bombay.

Its evening we go return to our hotel rooms for a brief and are back into the pool...while addy and nitroxx were out shopping for some more stuff.
When they return...we decide to go for dinner...dinners were always a fun-filled affair. I miss those nights a lot.
By now stratos is getting down with something...he was complaining of headaches. But that notwithstanding...we including stratos decided to hit panjim for the last time. We check out a new beach (cant remember the name)...it came just a little ahead of the inox theatre. You guys think our Inox is good...you have to check out the one in goa.
The roads like mentioned before are just awesome. We hang out at the beach for sometime...and then head off to our waterfront where we had gone the last night. We do a photoshoot. Because stratos is not feeling very well...we decide to return to our rooms.
Stratos heads off to our room to sleep...while f50 and me head over room 112 to chill out.

This last night was one of the most memorable ones...the amount we laughed courtesy nitroxx. The jokes were too good...i was laughing so much...it felt i would throw up. Couple all this with drinks and we have a party. There was not even one moment when we stopped laughing. Stratos you really missed out that night buddy. I was rolling on the floor and laughing havent laughed so much in quite a lot of time.
Since we had to start early morning...we decide to call it quits around 2.30am. We head off to our rooms, where stratos is somewhat asleep. We cant help but discuss the events of the day...stratos shouts at us to keep quite and sleep...so we oblige.

1st June, Time 5.00am.

The intercomm rings for the last time...and so does my cell as usual.
I get up, no cursing today...i didnt want to go back.
We get ready...and hand over our room keys for the final time at reception...and depart on time at 6.00am.
This time the seating arrangement has changed a little...nitroxx and F50 shuffle their places.
We havent even gotten out of goa and both my passengers (read nitroxx and stratos) are already sleeping. It has started pouring again...and the accent aquaplanes in the puddles...so i slow down a little. This time the conty and accent stay close to each other but not for too long...the conty again takes the lead in sometime...we catch up with them a little later.
Our progress is slow due to the rains and the usual ST busses and lorries.
Sometime later the rain has let off somewhat...so our progress is a bit faster...we finally catch up with the conty. We stop at the same hotel madhuban for breakfast and some coffee...by this time the last night is being re-lived, and we find ourselves laughing again.
After this stop we start munching miles at a fairly good pace. But near some town midway...there is tree which has fallen down onto the road blocking it both ways. We get a welcome break...while the authorities clear it up.

We start off again...on our way we find this excited silver indigo gls which is being driven by a gujju bhai and two more gujju bhais as passengers.
He gives me the look when he overtakes, i know we are on. I follow him closely for sometime just for him to know that he's not fast. We reach the ghats...with the conty in tow, i downshift and im overtaking an indigo which is screaming its pistons out...no match for our torque. Nitroxx plays navigator through the ghats. The indigo's tyres are squealing on every turn and his driving is getting dangerous by the minute...so i wave him by...all the gujju bhais look surprised that we let him pass.
But wait...the conty is not done playing with him yet. The conty does not overtake but follows him very closely through the ghats. That gujju party must have been **** scared to see our 'gangster car' with its single set of lights glowing right behind him. The conty matches him for move to move...man there should have been videos...the oversteering conty looked awesome on those turns. This goes on till chiplun about 25kms of pure excitement (Let me add...this was done well within the limits...dont try this at home).
At chiplun, the indigo takes another route while we continue towards bombay. We decide to stop for nature calls (read stratos and dippy). I warn them theres a temple nearby...but they had started already by then.

But minutes later we get a call from dippy...the conty is refusing to start...coincidence?? call me superstitious...but i think that temple had something to do with it. By now we were ahead of them...so we took a u-turn and went back about 2kms.
The conty wont start...but we thank our lucky stars that it happened near a town and that too the cellphone had network coverage. Otherwise these people wouldnt have been able to contact us. After unsuccessful attempts to start the conty...we decide to head back to chiplun in search for a mechanic...
To our surprise we find a maruti service station...god bless maruti.
We take a mechanic with us who after checking it says that the conty has to be taken a look at in the garage...so the CRDi does towing van duty...tows it back to chiplun down the ghats. It was a little scary...as without the engine the conty does not have brakes...i was scared to brake going downhill. But we make it down in one piece. The mechanics get started...while we decide to eat lunch.
But after lunch...the mechanic informs us that the timing belt and some bearing is done for...and replacement parts will come from kolhapur some 200kms away.
After lots of thinking, addy decides to leave the beloved conty back and come back the next day to pick it up.
All the luggage is put into the accent...and with six passengers...it got a little uncomfortable.
We make quick progress...and with 4 people in the back...the faster the better. I drive 90% on this drive...reluctant to give up my driving seat which would mean i would be squished like the others in the back. We make regular stops to stretch our legs. We stop again for coffee at the same place in mahad. I drive for some more time and hand over the wheel to nitroxx due to headaches.
I sit in the back uncomfortably...but we changed positions all the time so it wasnt all that bad...i soon find a comfy place and fall asleep. And lucky me that i fell asleep and gave up my driving seat...because...we hit traffic and this is major traffic. Everyone coming straight at you on high beams is really irritating. But im asleep nice and comfy...leaving nitroxx to curse the traffic.
We loose a lot of time during this last leg and are running late by nearly 4 hours...but thats ok...i was in no hurry to reach.
I wake up when we are close to panvel...f50 comes up with an ingenious way in which im sitting facing backwards (dont ask)...it was more comfortable...but it made feel like throwing up...so we stopped and i get the front seat.
We arrive at sion close to 9.30pm...drop stratos at his place...cant believe our trip is almost ending. After that we head over to addys house to drop off the rest. At around 10.15pm, i take back the wheel and head for home and reach around 11.00pm. My dog 'maggie' is so happy to see me.
Im too pooped and go straight to bed.

This trip was one of the best ones i've done in recent times. I feel a lot closer to our members after this. Have found such great friends on teambhp. I love it!!!

Untill next time.

Drifter

PS. Report is not complete without the pictures...imageshack is not opening here. Will post the selected pics tomorrow...so stay tuned a little further.

Sorry for such a long report...but even now these words fall short of describing how much we enjoyed.

Last edited by drifter : 8th June 2005 at 20:48.
Old 8th June 2005, 21:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

This was the best trip till date. Had fun like nothing else. Beaches, food, culture, civic sense, road manners... for all these .. Goa rules!!

Will post the pics I took soon. Gotto Scan them!!
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 22:14   #21
BANNED

Superb report drifter and f50..

Good to know you enjoyed

Was the contessa stock??

p.s drifter time for a tyre change i guess..
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 22:41   #22
Team-BHP Support

F50 & Drifter, thanks guys. Your reports have put such a big smile on my face after a rather sick day. How could I forget this trip.... the drive, the jokes, the fun in the sun, etc.
Yes Montoya, the Conti is stock and a regular traveller on NH17.
A big thanks to all of you who came along and made this trip such a huge success and helped whole-heartedly when it mattered.
Hope we can do this once again!
P.S. The Conti averaged 11kmpl and ran about 1400kms.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 22:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yes Montoya the Conti was totally stock no mods whatsoever. Drifty you havent mentioned about Stratos love for the Activa and his 75 kph excursions

Anyways here are some more pics

More later

Dippy

Last edited by Dippy : 8th June 2005 at 23:36.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 23:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes how could i forget that...
Our stratos was so happy being on two wheels for once...he made full use of that activa. Hehehe. Too bad he couldnt try his drifts on it

Drifter
Old 8th June 2005, 23:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Drifty pal,

what abt sophi ? wanna hear it from the horses mouth !!

so out with it dude ? whats all dat stuff abt ?? and this sophi ??

nice reports pal

and yeah dippy still in Goa - keeps posting the same pics over and over ....
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 23:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

NC the pics are different they look the same since the environments are similar

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 00:07   #27
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Drifty pal,

what abt sophi ? wanna hear it from the horses mouth !!

so out with it dude ? whats all dat stuff abt ?? and this sophi ??
I must post the report over and over again .... Drifter will love it especially the last P.S. line
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 00:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

F50 you wait...i will get you for this!!!

Drifter
Old 9th June 2005, 02:03   #29
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic report boys....made for fabulous reading. Especially the 'Sophie' part . So drifter, I think you now owe us an explanation
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 02:05   #30
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the frequent visiters to Goa must be knowing about this but for this who dont know its kinda inflated banana tied to a speed boat and takes you right in the middle of the sea and while taking turn it looses its balance and all people aboard falls into the water. Our very own James Bond (Drifter) found out, that the person sitting behind was doing it purposely.
Hahahahaa....that banana boat ride is sure a fun thing..but it looks like one huge D***o
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote