Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd July 2009, 15:05   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
This is one excellent travelogue, Suman! Excellent narration and pictures. And , in addition to all of this, the confidence that you would have developed in the truck would surely make you wanna do more of such trips. great going
Thanks Nitin & absolutely correct! The truck was a symbol of reliability & pillar of strength for us throughout this trip - three cheers to The Beast for sailing through this endurance test with contemptuous ease!!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:17   #302
Senior - BHPian

Suman,

That was one heck of a travelogue.

Took all of 3 days reading it. Did not want to rush through - the narration and the photography and definitely the place were just too good to be given a "regular" attention. These guys demand much more!

Not much of any superlatives that I can add here; all has been said multiple time.

Beautiful!

(PS: 5*'rd the thread)
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:57   #303
BHPian

Suman,

Great writeup and even better photographs. Some of the photographs so vividly portrayed the beauty of the terrains that I got goosebumps all over.

I don't have access to any SUV in NCR area to take up the trip in the near future. My brother (resides in Gurgaon) has an Aveo UVA. How far do you think the UVA can be taken along the Delhi-Jammu-Srinagar-Leh route that you took?
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:12   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
That was one heck of a travelogue.
Thanks! I was wondering where you were, after your request on the Safari pics thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
How far do you think the UVA can be taken along the Delhi-Jammu-Srinagar-Leh route that you took?
Thanks a ton! Well, I know someone who did Ahmedabad-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Ahmedabad in the last week of May in a Spark! So, I don't see why you cannot do it in a UVA, more so if you do it from Kashmir side. You'll have to be careful in a lot of places, particularly the Zoji La ascent/descent (full of craters & slush). Stop, look & proceed. Should you get stuck, manpower is normally available to haul you out. And, if you choose to do it later on in the year, say around mid-August, it should be easier.

Last edited by suman : 3rd July 2009 at 16:20.
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:13   #305
Senior - BHPian

Oh no. It is already over!

Amazing travelogue coupled with breathtaking pictures. Team-BHP's popularity grew in leaps & bounds among my colleagues as I had forwarded the link to this travelogue.

Well, the coffee/lunch break talk now generally hovers around Suman, Leh, Ladakh, the not-so-easy-to-remember passes, the amazing family, etc, etc and when-do-we-get-to-go-there?

Hat's off to you for making this wonderful trip and sharing with us with so much patience.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:19   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Well, the coffee/lunch break talk now generally hovers around Suman, Leh, Ladakh, the not-so-easy-to-remember passes, the amazing family, etc, etc and when-do-we-get-to-go-there?
That's the best testimony that one could ever hope for, thanks mate
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:42   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thanks! I was wondering where you were, after your request on the Safari pics thread...
You could say that I was patiently keeping out till a major part of the travelogue was completed, so that I get to keep reading.

Else I would have joined the band wagon and done the "Suman: forget food, forget sleep, only post" posts!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:27   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thanks Sandeep! Time for you to take the plunge now - "White 3.0L Dicor + a stunning white backdrop = simply awesome" (Edit: Just saw the location - London; vacation or........?)
Yeah, i have shifted base to London unfortunately and have been cursing myself since you started with this thread.

Would have started the trip by now if i had been there as i never took it as a "Trip of a Lifetime" which it truly is.

But will try to do something in coming winters when i visit India.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:31   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

@T&H: UVA has about 23mm more GC - it is almost same as SX4 - so just go
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:52   #310
BHPian

Awesome trip !
Do you have any trip log etc or a rough itinerary of the days and your plan for that particular day?

I would want to do this driving holiday sometimes, but for the Pune-Delhi driving.
Is there any way, I can rent a car (without driver) in Delhi or Chandigarh ?
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:12   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Awesome trip !
Do you have any trip log etc or a rough itinerary of the days and your plan for that particular day?

I would want to do this driving holiday sometimes, but for the Pune-Delhi driving.
Is there any way, I can rent a car (without driver) in Delhi or Chandigarh ?
Yes you can rent a self drive car in delhi from hertz or autoriders
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 20:55   #312
BHPian

Wow . . . i am speechless. The whole travelogue has been like a movie, taking you through the highs and lows, and an ending that couldn't be less than perfect. Though i do share the heavy heart with you when you finally had to come back to the regular good 'ol city scheme.

This travelogue has been, like for many others, an inspiration for me to actually go ahead and do this trip, with family, in a TATA Safari(which is still a dream ),

And the special effects given by you in the form of different food varieties you gorged on , quality of hotels, and time-distance-fuel data, everything has been worth all our time we spent reading this travelogue, and more. . .

Congrats on completing this trip of the Lifetime, and i hope you do multiple such trips as and when the Himalayas beckon you.

Regards
Aman
racingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 21:31   #313
Senior - BHPian

Hi Suman,

First of all many congratulations on completing the Trip of your lifetime
Secondly many many thanks for this 7 STAR travelogue

Today, i showed the photographs to my wife. immediately she cancelled our next year's planned vacation and told me "we will first go to Leh and then anywhere else"

anyway, i do not know when i will be able to make a trip like this,
But like you, HUM HONGE KAMYAAB EK DIN

thanks very much for taking efforts to share it with us.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 23:57   #314
BHPian

Hats off to you Suman. Great Travelogue.
Hoping to do something like this three years down the line (kids are too small right now).
Hoping that my Dzire VDi can climb the same.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 00:27   #315
BHPian

One of the very best travelogues I've come across at t-bhp! You made me travel with you. Having spent 10 yrs in Delhi and never quite being able to embark on a journey like this is something I'll rue forever. Nonetheless, being an optimist, I take inspiration from this and will try to document my travels in South India. Keep it up, mate! Waiting for your next outing!
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote