Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th July 2009, 01:13   #316
Senior - BHPian

awesome travelogue finally comes to an end. makes one wonder what we are doing in life. great inspiration.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 07:03   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman your travelogue was so real for me that the last episode left me with sense of dread - just like returning home after a beautiful vacation. Reread it all today morning
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 10:49   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Yeah, i have shifted base to London unfortunately
We'll miss you at the meets Sandeep but good luck in your new endeavours
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Awesome trip !
Do you have any trip log etc or a rough itinerary of the days and your plan for that particular day?
Yup, in a little notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
This travelogue has been, like for many others, an inspiration for me to actually go ahead and do this trip, with family, in a TATA Safari(which is still a dream ),

And the special effects given by you in the form of different food varieties you gorged on , quality of hotels, and time-distance-fuel data, everything has been worth all our time we spent reading this travelogue, and more. . .
Thanks Aman! Can't express the sense of achievement that one feels on completing a trip like this - I'm sure you'll understand
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
anyway, i do not know when i will be able to make a trip like this,
But like you, HUM HONGE KAMYAAB EK DIN
Absolutely! Just go for it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Hoping that my Dzire VDi can climb the same.
Thanks man, I think your Dzire will do you proud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
I take inspiration from this and will try to document my travels in South India. Keep it up, mate! Waiting for your next outing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
awesome travelogue finally comes to an end. makes one wonder what we are doing in life. great inspiration.
Thanks guys, your appreciation is inspiration by itself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Suman your travelogue was so real for me that the last episode left me with sense of dread - just like returning home after a beautiful vacation. Reread it all today morning
Ya, don;t you just hate those "last day" blues!!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 13:58   #319
BHPian

This is really an awesome report Suman, with lots of pics and statistics that too in that rarified atmosphere.And for me this is gona be the latest guide for our Cochin-Leh-Srinagar-Delhi-Cochin trip due next month.But seeing those white mountains,man i'm gona miss them again.My last trip was in 2006 october and this one is being postponed from may to august.Sumanji, kindly tell me your ratings on Omasilla,Loghuts and Heemal.How's Johnson's Lodge?
jack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 15:11   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nice pics mate, roll out some more!
Some more pics from J&K to end this awesome thread .

Better Leh'd than Never - a 3,004 kms round trip of a lifetime!-dsc00649.jpg <br /> <a href=Better Leh'd than Never - a 3,004 kms round trip of a lifetime!-dsc00656.jpg <br /> <a href=Better Leh'd than Never - a 3,004 kms round trip of a lifetime!-dsc00662.jpg <br />
The pics are from phone cam, so please don't mind the quality!</div>   <div style=

Last edited by asethi : 4th July 2009 at 15:13.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 21:18   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See my post......

No, I didn't face any issues with diesel freezing. The coldest place we stayed in overnight was Sarchu (minus 4 degrees) but the vehicle started up in the morning without any problems.

Thanks Sudev, I have a mammoth task on my hands I think - too many days & too many pics
Dear brother, about diesel getting frozen in extream cold climate, if possible then what about engine oil getting frozen? Once I saw a group of bus drivers at Badrinath lighting a small bon fire below engine oil chamber to dilute the engine oil and the temprature of Badrinath was was not even 2degrees cel.
I also saw that along with the fire burning they had started the engine and the engine was running with almost only half of numbers of cylindrers,firing and half of them missing with coughs and sputters, When asked about the whole process they told me that the bus was there parked for the last 2 days.After some 20 minutes or so the engine was firing perfectly and the bonfire was put off.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 22:32   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Mobile oil with cold rating do not freeze but diesel without anti freeze does it much faster. The fire underneath the chamber is partially to raise oil temperature and hence viscosity and partially to unfreeze diesel so that the vehicle can start. This is more of a problem with non DI vehicles.

In 2002 Raid the temperatures at Pang army camp were reported below -15 degree. I do not know is that was true or not but with my previous years experience of troubles with Armada, I just left the engine idling the whole night. Incidentally army guys have pre-mixed anti-freeze diesel.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 23:38   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Mobile oil with cold rating do not freeze but diesel without anti freeze does it much faster. The fire underneath the chamber is partially to raise oil temperature and hence viscosity and partially to unfreeze diesel so that the vehicle can start. This is more of a problem with non DI vehicles.

In 2002 Raid the temperatures at Pang army camp were reported below -15 degree. I do not know is that was true or not but with my previous years experience of troubles with Armada, I just left the engine idling the whole night. Incidentally army guys have pre-mixed anti-freeze diesel.
Dear sir, I think thats why most of army vehicles used at high altitudes are petrol engined and very few of diesel ones
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 11:06   #324
Senior - BHPian

Sadly, the narrative and the pictures came to an end. I was hoping it never would. I was reliving my trip to Leh (via Manali) at the same time through this...

Amazing pictures....

After going through this excellant travelogue, I feel there nothing more to write, hence I don't think I shall repeat the story with my version.

p.s: However, I would like to apologise and clarify about something Dada, that happened a few years ago near Bristol in Gurgaon and then near Tangste near Pangong.

At both the instances you were coming from the opposite direction, spotted me in my Scorpio, waived at me and also flashed the headlights. Unfortunately both times I missed seeing, prompting a sarky comment that I need to make a visit to my Othalmologist pronto. The shrill was more louder this time...

Well Dada, you don't have it in you that very vital statistics, to attract or draw the attention of this hot Bull on the road..

In any case, if that's a consolation to you, I'm seeing my eye quack this evening...
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 19:31   #325
BHPian

Suman,
Fantastic travelogue. We're still in the process of writing ours :-) . And with the amount of adventure we had on the trip, it's almost a book!

Tanveer - I had a problem with the main diesel pipe, from the tank to the fuel filter, it cracked (probably because of the freezing temperatures, or maybe a nick from a stone during one of my offroad jaunts), and was drawing in air. I was carrying a roll of Duck tape, which took care of that. No problems till Delhi.

In our convoy of four Scorpios (GD1418, Anil, Suman Ghosh & me), we were carrying almost every piece of conceivable equipment, except for a fan belt (and that's what snapped in Anil's car just before Nakeela). We towed Anil's car up and across Nakeela (I think that's a record!), down Gata Loops (on it's own power, but minus power-assist brakes, using engine braking mostly at a crawl), right up to Sarchu, and left it at the Army camp (towing distance of 52 km). We then carried on to Jipsa.

Next day we got a mechanic at Keylong who had two fan belts with him (both for Scorpio, but different sizes). However, Murphy decided to live with us that day. As luck would have it, both were the wrong size.

So we spent the night at Sarchu, after radioing Leh for a spare which our friend and travel guide in Leh, Rashid Abdul of Destination Inde, sent through one of the night Canonball cabs that arrived the next morning at Sarchu. We met up with Suman at Himalyan Saga.

Till then I had no problems with my car, having performed 3 rescues already on our trip (read about it when I put up the travelogue, soon), but on the last day, it looked like Murphy decided to hop into my car.

After Suman & family saw us off with much fanfare at Himalayan Saga, about 100 metres down the road, the Scorp just refused to pick up. The engine check light came on and it kept stalling, wouldn't rev. First, I thought it was an airblock, so kept pumping the priming pump, even opened the outlet pipe and did. That didn't help much. Then we tried boiling water over the pump (thinking it's frozen fuel in the lines). Nope. I then pulled out Subhashish's Kabson's and put it under the diesel tank (keeping Anil's wife Smita on standby with a fire extinguisher). Helped a bit, but still no cigar.

By then Suman came back with the Keylong mech who spent the night at the checkpost. He found the problem in 5 minutes. A 1-inch crack in the main fuel line. Wrapped it up with Duck tape and roar, we were good to go.

Suman, thanks, I owe you one.

Cheers,
Roshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 09:47   #326
Senior - BHPian

I realized over the weekend that when I wrote below -
Quote:
Now, for the important acknowledgements -
  • Thanks to my wife (as mentioned earlier) for tirelessly clicking away & coming up with most of the pics
  • Thanks to her also for maintaining the Vehicle Log - priceless & was of great help in giving out the statistics. A great reference point for purposes of this Travelogue and for answering the many questions that future travellers have raised
  • Heartfelt thanks to my Kids for patiently putting up with the long distances that we covered. And for smilingly tolerating the Good Roads, Bad Roads, No Roads, No Lunch....& all else that they had to put with, LOL! Thanks, you were awesome!
there was an important acknowledgement that I'd overlooked! We have three & a half hours of Video, thanks primarily to my daughter who was handling that camera. There are some amazing captures, memories that we'll treasure for decades. So, a big Thank You to her as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
Sumanji, kindly tell me your ratings on Omasilla,Loghuts and Heemal.How's Johnson's Lodge?
Omasila - Excellent place, made more so by the Manager Nawang Tsering. A really nice gentleman. Smiling staff, good service. The food is good but not outstanding if you know what I mean. There are so many places nearby, maybe its a better idea to eat out.
Log Huts - What can I say! If you haven't stayed in them before, you should definitely try them once - its an experience to remember. They are overpriced though but then you get two bedrooms & all other trappings including a great view.
Heemal - OK for a night's stay, clean & functional. Great location. Didn't eat there but I think it wouldn't be anything extra-ordinary. Again, enough places around it with multi cuisine food so.........
Johnson's Lodge - haven't stayed there but a lot of people I know have & they highly recommend it. Not sure about the tariff but it would be way cheaper than the Log Huts I think. And they are nicely located & with their own parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Well Dada, you don't have it in you that very vital statistics, to attract or draw the attention of this hot Bull on the road..
ROTFL.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Suman, thanks, I owe you one.
Roshun, thanks a ton & it was my pleasure. Having said that, we need to catch up over some beverages one of these days (PS: Saw you this morning at the IIT crossing, guess you were on your way to work?)

Last edited by suman : 6th July 2009 at 09:53.
Old 6th July 2009, 22:45   #327
BANNED

Sumanda,

Great, Fantastic, Superb, Fantabolous,mindblowing, travelogue. One of "THE BESTEST" travelogue ever read. I have been meticulously looking at each word and pics every day.

Though i am not an asthamatic, i had almost 100 asthma attack going through the wonderful pics of India essayed and so painstakingly portrayed by Suman.

I would like to congratulate you and your family in making through this "epic journey of a lifetime".

And thank you very much for such a wonderful travelogue.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 23:39   #328
BHPian

Suman Sir, this is the best and the most detailed travelogue i have ever read, even though I have never been to Leh I feel now that I have been there and experienced it. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! to say the least.
Turboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 11:17   #329
Team-BHP Support

One question, did the center hubcaps fall off even once. They are there in all the pics.
On all my trips have had to stop atleast once to pick up the hub caps from the road.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 11:22   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I would like to congratulate you and your family in making through this "epic journey of a lifetime".

And thank you very much for such a wonderful travelogue.
Pavan, thanks a ton for the superlative comments, I am honored
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboholic View Post
Suman Sir, this is the best and the most detailed travelogue i have ever read, even though I have never been to Leh I feel now that I have been there and experienced it. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! to say the least.
Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
One question, did the center hubcaps fall off even once. They are there in all the pics.
On all my trips have had to stop atleast once to pick up the hub caps from the road.
Not once! I've seen in the past that if they start falling off, then it normally indicates that one of the clips is chipped or broken - becomes loose & that's when they keep dropping off!