Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 14:04   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Thumbs up Contributions from the youngest family member

My son has recently developed an interest in photography & was quite active on this trip. Our old faithful 4.0 MP Canon Powershot has become his baby ever since the Rebel XSI arrived. Here are some pics depicting the trip from his perspective, including some awesome ones of Pangong Tso........I think the lake simply blew all our minds!

Early morning at the Dal Lake
Name:  pics 717.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  35.2 KB

The journey to Sonamarg & beyond.....
Name:  pics 721.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  pics 726.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  103.8 KB
Name:  pics 739.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  75.4 KB
Name:  pics 741.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  pics 748.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  76.4 KB
Name:  pics 750.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  pics 751.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  72.5 KB
Name:  pics 754.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  pics 755.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  98.5 KB
Name:  pics 757.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  63.4 KB
Name:  pics 770.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  84.1 KB

Enroute Kargil to Leh...
Name:  pics 771.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  75.1 KB
Name:  pics 773.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  62.2 KB
Name:  pics 774.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  115.0 KB
Name:  pics 777.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  110.4 KB
Name:  pics 779.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  60.7 KB
Name:  pics 782.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  pics 785.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  129.3 KB
Name:  pics 789.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  62.4 KB

From Khardung La
Name:  pics 791.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  pics 793.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  91.2 KB

Pure white.....from Chang La
Name:  pics 794.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  54.5 KB
Name:  pics 795.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  37.3 KB

A different perspective at Chang La!
Name:  pics 798.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  91.7 KB

The elusive Marmot, sorry, don't expect bigger with a 3x optical!!!
Name:  pics 802.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  5.4 KB
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 14:13   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default A few more of his clicks......

The Magical Lake - could never get enough of it
Name:  pics 808.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  57.9 KB
Name:  pics 810.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  65.3 KB
Name:  pics 824.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  pics 826.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  61.6 KB
Name:  pics 832.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  63.3 KB
Name:  pics 834.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  76.2 KB
Name:  pics 840.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  76.5 KB
Name:  pics 844.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  53.8 KB
Name:  pics 847.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  35.4 KB

Relaxing at Hotel Omasila
Name:  pics 857.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  81.4 KB

Patiently waiting for that grilled chicken sandwich!
Name:  pics 860.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  49.0 KB

The gloomy More Plains
Name:  pics 862.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  51.0 KB

An early morning click at Sarchu
Name:  pics 863.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  84.2 KB

From Baralacha La
Name:  pics 865.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  47.4 KB

Deepak Tal
Name:  pics 867.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  72.8 KB

Enroute to Rohtang
Name:  pics 871.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  79.6 KB
Name:  pics 873.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  93.8 KB

Fruits of labour..........
Name:  pics 881.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  66.0 KB
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 14:39   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
My son has recently developed an interest in photography & was quite active on this trip. Our old faithful 4.0 MP Canon Powershot has become his baby ever since the Rebel XSI arrived. Here are some pics depicting the trip from his perspective, including some awesome ones of Pangong Tso........I think the lake simply blew all our minds!
Early morning at the Dal Lake
Well going suman da. I remember one hindi song

"Baap numbari to beta dus numbari..."
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 15:16   #334
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,511
Thanked: 2,385 Times
Default

Wow...you got family of clickers there Suman da.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 16:35   #335
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Fantastic fantastic travelogue.... one of the very few that i have read through! I have to admit that I am very lousy reader... wonderful trip Suman da and I can perfectly relate to the last day blues feel.
Thanks for taking the pains and coming out with this literary and sensory gem! Hats off!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 00:19   #336
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,275
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

I felt a little sad seeing this travelogue end, it had become like an interesting TV series (not a soap opera, though!) with something new everytime I logged in.

It is the quality of the narrative, the detail and the sequential way of putting in pictures that had me hooked. I can imagine the sheer amount of effort (and enthusiasm) shared by all four of you in the family in taking all these pictures, keeping logs and post-processing them.

I guess that's why Bengalis are considered India's foremost "touristy" community. .

Definitely the trip of a lifetime. Thanks for an excellent travelogue!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 10:32   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I felt a little sad seeing this travelogue end, it had become like an interesting TV series (not a soap opera, though!) with something new everytime I logged in.

It is the quality of the narrative, the detail and the sequential way of putting in pictures that had me hooked. I can imagine the sheer amount of effort (and enthusiasm) shared by all four of you in the family in taking all these pictures, keeping logs and post-processing them.

I guess that's why Bengalis are considered India's foremost "touristy" community. .

Definitely the trip of a lifetime. Thanks for an excellent travelogue!
Now that's one hell of a compliment, just made my day. Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Fantastic fantastic travelogue.... one of the very few that i have read through! I have to admit that I am very lousy reader... wonderful trip Suman da and I can perfectly relate to the last day blues feel.
Thanks for taking the pains and coming out with this literary and sensory gem! Hats off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Wow...you got family of clickers there Suman da.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Well going suman da. I remember one hindi song

"Baap numbari to beta dus numbari..."
Thanks guys, its been a pleasant surprise for me as well. To be honest, I hadn't expected such a large number of views (26,500 plus & increasing!), comments & appreciation in the Travelogue section of an automotive forum! I guess you live & learn

Your appreciation has made it worth my while to have taken the time & effort to create this Travelogue...........Thanks once again, to all of you!

Last edited by suman : 10th July 2009 at 10:33.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:11   #338
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 471
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

I was hooked on to the travelogue, and religiously followed through the travelogue. I wish to do this some time, but I donot know when. May be when my daughter completes calss 10, just like your case
But, truly inspirational stuff, and definitely a journey to remember, I forwarded links to a few non-TBHPias and got them hooked onto the journey.

Congratulations.
Off topic - may be you need to put a sticker on your car with one of those pictures, and leave it as a memory for the car to remember !
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:31   #339
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Congratulations.
Off topic - may be you need to put a sticker on your car with one of those pictures, and leave it as a memory for the car to remember !
Thanks man! Good luck in your quest.

To tell you the truth, I had thought of designing & getting a sticker made for the car. Even without the pics, at least a mention of the month & year. (Siggghhhh), One of these weekends I guess, when I can shake off the lethargy
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:54   #340
adc
Senior - BHPian
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,346
Thanked: 2,100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
From the plains of Gurgaon to the highest motorable road in the world - Khardung La at an altitude of 18,380 feet
  • From 42 degrees in Jammu to -4 degrees in Sarchu
  • From mundane daily routine drives in the NCR to engaging 4L to negotiate slushy slopes & tricky water crossings
  • To seeing white, pristine snow all around & narrow black tarmac between tall snow walls!
  • To seeing a beautiful lake at an altitude of 14,000 feet, changing colors each time you look at it!
  • To seeing a broken bridge across a raging mountain river being repaired
  • To experiencing snowfall up in one of the passes & then again a mild snowstorm in the middle of nowhere
  • To spending upto 13 hours in the vehicle over bad roads, broken roads, no roads, landslides & severe duststorms - Woh!!
Dada - just finished reading the travelogue and thats a journey to be cherished for long. Great pictures and narration and the Safari pictures really standout in among the locations.

And each and every point above summarizes the stunning experiences very appropriately.

Thanks again for sharing such a wonderful journey.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:58   #341
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Dada - just finished reading the travelogue and thats a journey to be cherished for long. Great pictures and narration and the Safari pictures really standout in among the locations.

And each and every point above summarizes the stunning experiences very appropriately.

Thanks again for sharing such a wonderful journey.
Thank you Anirban & welcome back! So what's the update on your trip, happening in October? This time, a meetup at Delhi is essential so please plan accordingly
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 00:55   #342
adc
Senior - BHPian
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,346
Thanked: 2,100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thank you Anirban & welcome back! So what's the update on your trip, happening in October? This time, a meetup at Delhi is essential so please plan accordingly
Unfortunately going through some real rough times, and with just 2 months left for Sept 24 departure, it sure looks quite out of control considering the expenses.

But then if it does happen, definitely I would be in touch with you this time in Delhi.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 22:56   #343
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,628
Thanked: 10,859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But then if it does happen, definitely I would be in touch with you this time in Delhi.
: ... and I'd be very offended if you pretended to have forgotten my phone number!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 16:38   #344
BHPian
 
tortoiseNhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 527
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thanks a ton! Well, I know someone who did Ahmedabad-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Ahmedabad in the last week of May in a Spark! So, I don't see why you cannot do it in a UVA, more so if you do it from Kashmir side. You'll have to be careful in a lot of places, particularly the Zoji La ascent/descent (full of craters & slush). Stop, look & proceed. Should you get stuck, manpower is normally available to haul you out. And, if you choose to do it later on in the year, say around mid-August, it should be easier.
The Puja vacations are from 25th Sept to 4th Oct and I will be at Gurgaon by 24th night. The journey to Leh will not happen because the adults will also be accompanied by my 1 year old nephew in whatever journey we might undertake. As of now Srinagar by car is in the agenda (start from Gurgaon on 26th Sept and return back to Gurgaon on 30th). Within this time timeframe do you suggest any other place off from Srinagar on your route?
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 17:43   #345
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
The Puja vacations are from 25th Sept to 4th Oct and I will be at Gurgaon by 24th night. The journey to Leh will not happen because the adults will also be accompanied by my 1 year old nephew in whatever journey we might undertake. As of now Srinagar by car is in the agenda (start from Gurgaon on 26th Sept and return back to Gurgaon on 30th). Within this time timeframe do you suggest any other place off from Srinagar on your route?
I think if you are only visiting Kashmir, then you must do Gulmarg, Pahalgam and may be sonemarg. Patnitop can be your halt for the first night
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ladakh: Better Leh'd than never. EDIT: Part 2 on page 3 vsathyap Travelogues 52 2nd September 2016 17:29
Better roads.. better late (than never) Laxminarayan Street Experiences 1 12th April 2006 03:14
Better late than never cnu Introduce yourself 9 27th November 2005 22:57
better late than never!! adilshah Introduce yourself 8 17th April 2005 12:14
Better be late than never skidrock Introduce yourself 11 12th March 2005 18:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks