Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th June 2009, 10:10   #31
Team-BHP Support

So Roshun and Anils trip also coincided with yours! Interesting. Waiting for more!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:11   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

hunji, phod the ditta.

Maybe this is now a good time for either you to come over, or vice versa and for me to go through your entire pics folder
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So Roshun and Anils trip also coincided with yours! Interesting.
As I mentioned, they were a group of 4 Scorpios - Roshun's, GD's, Anil's & Suman's (Ghosh) who were travelling together. Coincidentally, our departure dates were the same (30th May) but they went through Manali & we went through Srinagar. We finally met up with Roshun, Anil, his wife & Subhasis (Sarkar) at Sarchu on the 9th evening and then again on the 10th, we did the Rohtang ascent & descent in a convoy (though not planned earlier).
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Arun, depending on when you are planning the trip, I think the Sierra can make it. Will be a little bit of exertion in places but can be done. However, you now have an EX 4x4 - in your place, it would be a no-brainer for me . Nah, I'm kidding, go ahead, plan around mid-August, should go through
That was one prompt response!
Ya, that's wat everyone keeps telling me - when you have a 4x4 Vtt, why are you even thinking of taking your Sierra!?! But then, bhavnaon ko samjho...The 2.2Vtt is brand new, done only 1200kms. till date and dunno why, sentimentally attached - can't talk to the new beast as I talk to the older cousin...
asejwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:36   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

The location + 3004 kms in 15days => ENVY !
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:44   #36
BHPian

Looking forward to your detailed travelogue with bated breath. At least you are giving Team -Bhp the first preference for posting the travelogue.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:55   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Suman! that's a great set of pics on page 1... but that's just the appetiser. Can we now please get on with the main course? And congrats on completing a great trip. By your opening post, it appears to have been entirely trouble-free and fun all the way.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 11:29   #38
BHPian

Very beautiful, amazing images. But yeh dil mange more!!! Please post more images and some more writeup on the trip.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 11:35   #39
BHPian

Hey Suman, three cheers to you getting Leh'ed. Interesting set of teaser pics BTW.

Few questions:
1. How's the traffic traversing the Pagal nullah? Are vehicles crossing the nullah or is there a diversion?
2. Did you visit Nubra? I've been reading at places that the place has lost it's charm, too many tourists. What's your take on that?
3. How's the rush in the camps along the Manali-Leh route?

Waiting for the complete travelogue now.

Cheers!
LoG
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 12:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
By your opening post, it appears to have been entirely trouble-free and fun all the way.
Completely trouble free & loads of fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Few questions:
1. How's the traffic traversing the Pagal nullah? Are vehicles crossing the nullah or is there a diversion?
2. Did you visit Nubra? I've been reading at places that the place has lost it's charm, too many tourists. What's your take on that?
3. How's the rush in the camps along the Manali-Leh route?
  • Pagal Nullah was such a disappointment I can't tell you. I'd been waiting for ages to cross this "terror" using 4x4. But guess what? First of all, they've made a diversion, more stones than anything else; secondly there was hardly any water even at 1.30 in the afternoon. Although I did hear that a week before that, it was apparently a slushy mess. But no such luck for us! Will be covering that bit later, but here you go
Name:  IMG_2771.JPG
Views: 2851
Size:  87.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2865.JPG
Views: 2850
Size:  92.7 KB
  • Cancelled our Nubra night stay. I did hear about the excessive touristy bits too
  • At Camp Himalayan Saga, we were the only ones that evening till Roshun landed up. I didn't see much of a rush in any of the Camps though situation would be different in the coming weeks I'd think
Old 18th June 2009, 12:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

From the pics, looks like the trail has become Innova territory. Suman could you please let us know how many times you had to engage 4X4.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 12:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Suman could you please let us know how many times you had to engage 4X4.
Cheers
At Pagal Nullah? Just one spot where there was a short steep climb over boulders - made it easy hauling up the heavy beast. The Innovas had to depend on momentum & risk scraping their underbellies on those treacherous stones/boulders. It was a lot better chugging up slowly & steadily.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:51   #43
BHPian

It is going to be special one. I will be glued to the thread from now on. Come on now, don't keep us waiting too long. Ladakh brings us some really special memories for me, you know the reason.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 13:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Completely
  • Pagal Nullah was such a disappointment
  • Cancelled our Nubra night stay. I did hear about the excessive touristy bits too
  • At Camp Himalayan Saga, we were the only ones that evening till Roshun landed up. I didn't see much of a rush in any of the Camps though situation would be different in the coming weeks I'd think
Selfishly I'd say that's good news for me considering that I'd be making this trip in an Esteem. And the thing I like about it is, great power to weight ratio. Hope I won't need to scrape my car's bottom like those Innovas (which are a real sluggish vehicle for steep hills). So where all did you go off-road using the 4X4? Tried Marismek La?

I'll take a call on staying in Nubra when I get there only. But I think the valley's gonna be pretty green with flowers blooming in July. Let's see.

When's 4th July gonna come!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 13:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sir,
Fantastic start ! I was waiting for the travelogue since couple of days.
Keep posting.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote