Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th July 2009, 16:13   #61
BHPian

Thanks hv, So santro it will be, but you think the srinagar route is anytime better than the manali ( but we cannot predict the snow, hope its not like the road is closed and we have to return or wait?), can you give me some route details from srinagar side, I was reading in some other thread, I think you are planning to go as well?

You think the santro make it all the way easily?

Cheers
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 16:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Srinagar-Leh route is better than Manali-Leh from the point of view of road conditions.

Route profile is as follows:
Srinagar-Sonmarg 85 kms-Zoji La 23-Matayan 23-Dras 21-Kargil 60-Mulbek 36-Namik La 15-Fotu La 37-Lamayuru 16-Khaltse 21-Nimmu 62-Magnet Hill 7-Leh 30

The biggest mistake you can make is to underestimate the time taken - remember, you are not on a hi-speed highway where you can do 100 kms in 2 hours. Srinagar-Kargil can take a whole day, as will Kargil-Leh, although teh cumulative distance is less than 500 kms. Allow for liberal time overruns thanks to landslides, bad roads, delays at CPs, stops for photography, etc.

To give you an instance of what I mean, a friend of mine left Manali at 5 am and at 830 pm he had covered just 150 kms to reach Jispa. Reason: Blocked roads leading to Rohtang Pass, heavy rainfall and poor visibility, bad roads, etc.

Yes, I am also taking the Srinagar-Leh-Manali route this time.

Santro can do it easily.

Roads are improving and you should have a smooth drive compared to what our friends went through in June and July.

There is unlikely to be any snowfall.

Last edited by hvkumar : 29th July 2009 at 16:24.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 17:32   #63
BHPian

Thanks for your vital advice, one guy just told me how difficult it can be to be at 18k feet, water retention in the body, carry petroleum vaseline, snow sun glasses (scare of getting blindness due to seeing in direct sun), pleasnty of SPF 40 sunscream, SOme important medicines etc, Do you have a list prepared for yourself?

Also when do you plan to leave for leh, if possible lets time it together, where are you leaving from?
Old 29th July 2009, 17:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Thanks for your vital advice, one guy just told me how difficult it can be to be at 18k feet, water retention in the body, carry petroleum vaseline, snow sun glasses (scare of getting blindness due to seeing in direct sun), pleasnty of SPF 40 sunscream, SOme important medicines etc, Do you have a list prepared for yourself?

Also when do you plan to leave for leh, if possible lets time it together, where are you leaving from?

Drinks lots of water, high altitudes are dehydrating.
Pop in Diamox tablets to guard against AMS.
Goggles - since the sun can be biting, and sometimes when you ahve to drive across snow to prevent glare
Sun block creams - to prevent sun tan and protect against ultraviolet radiation in hi-altitude
Yes, I do have a list of medicines which is more than the standard first aid kit.

I am leaving from Bombay on Sep 12, returning on Sep 27
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 17:45   #65
BHPian

I just replied to your PM, appreciate if you can exchange full list of things that we need to carry for Leh, I am getting it from some one who had been there, will exhange that with you as well, maybe it will be helpful for you and incase you have missed out anything you can add/delete.

Only thing is we aren't going at the same time, wish I could have joined your big group. It would have been fun for me.
Old 10th August 2009, 10:16   #66
BHPian

Nice write-up. Enjoyed thoroughly. Great going, guyz!
Indizen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 10:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Why has this stopped?? Guys wake up and finish the travelogue.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 10:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

leh laddhakh all over TBHP, man you guys are tempting me so much. i think i wll have to do this one soon. please keep posting guys, wanna see some more pics.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 08:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Trust me i'm still glued to this thread and check it atleast once a day expecting that you would update it.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:31   #70
BHPian

Guys, absolutely fantastic, midnblowing just kept reading and i just can't wait for the next post, please do post at the earliest
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 20:27   #71
BHPian

Was thinkin of quitting my job next year and generally travelling around india. The only place I was frightened of taking my car was leh. So much so that i was thinking of buying a gypsy. now i know what to do. buy a bike. chug away to leh, spend a fortnight there, go to zanskar, back to srinagar and then downhill..a couple of days later head off to Kinnaur valley. I just hope my march bonus is good enough for 3-4 months no-job-status, and that i don't get tempted and quit my job before march.

Thanks a lot man...you opened up some opportunities for me.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 21:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Guys, absolutely fantastic, midnblowing just kept reading and i just can't wait for the next post, please do post at the earliest
A rather abrupt end to a extremely well written and photographed travelogue. What happened to the rest of your trip? The last post was in Nov 09.

My interest in Leh being a forthcoming trip end Jun

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1931073 (All About AMS (acute mountain sickness) Prevention and Cure)

and where better to get prepared than TBHP.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 16:28   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post

A beautiful stretch of road with lovely green pastures on either sides. We had to click.
Each year i promise myself to do this trip, but end up seeing it through someone else's eyes (logs?). But good narration and excellent snaps, i might add.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 14:57   #74
BHPian

i have emailed cutdcrap... lets see what happens.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 17:39   #75
BHPian

@unoczar, @goandude : Thanks for reviving the thread. Just stuck with closing appraisals - have close to 1800 to close

will try and work something on it by next weekend positively
cutdcrap is offline   Reply With Quote