Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd June 2011, 22:08   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Trip - Delhi - Chakrata - Kanasar - Mussorie - Dhanaulti - Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danish_c View Post
Hi Guys,

Im planning to head to Chakrata from Delhi later this month and I was trying to figure out the best route (in terms time taken).

1. Delhi-Karnal-Kurukshetra-Yamuna Nagar-Paonta Sahib-Vikas Nagar-Chakrata

2. Delhi-Meerut-Muzzafarnagar-Dehradun-Vikas Nagar-Chakrata (or a varation of this route - Muzzafarnagar-Saharanpur-Vikas Nagar-Chakrata) etc.

Has anybody done these areas recently? What should I take? I am gravitating towards the first option but I am not aware of the route conditions...

Thanks,
D
I'll suggest option 2: Delhi-Meerut-Muzzafarnagar-Dehradun-Vikas Nagar-Chakrata

Delhi - Muzzafarnagar has now become a breeze, thanks to 4 - laning of highway & construction of Khatauli bye-pass. If one leaves early, Dehradun can be easily touched in 5- 5.5 hours.

Whereas, NH-1 is undergoing widening from Panipat to Jalandhar. The average speed is 40-50 km/hr. A drive to Yamunanagar takes around 5.5 hours these days!
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
To reach Kurukshetra, we take a left turn from a crossing at NH1 (between Karnal & Ambala). The town on the crossing is known as Pipli. Normally people take this town for Kurukshetra.

Take right turn from this crossing to reach Jagadhari, Yamunanagar, Saharanpur, roorkie etc.

Cheers!
Irish
Thanks for clarifying, I also thought that this intersection was Kurukshetra!

I guess the road from Karnal to Yamunanagar is to be avoided?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks for clarifying, I also thought that this intersection was Kurukshetra!

I guess the road from Karnal to Yamunanagar is to be avoided?

Roads are better between Pipli - Yamunanagar as compared to Karnal - Yamunanagar section but the distance is more if one is going from Delhi to Yamunanagar.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 11:46   #34
BHPian

Found the thread just at the right time. We are off to an absolutely unplanned trip tomorrow (say 4 in the morning). Spent hours yesterday checking out hotels but none available at any place Shimla/Kasauli/Mussorie/Lansdowne/Shogi etc.

So now, here is the plan. We will go to a place called Lakha Mandal (the person who suggested this said the route would be via vikas nagar). This place is from Mahabharat time where kaurav's built a palace of "lakh" to burn pandavas. Spend an hour there and drive towards Mussorie via kempty falls. The possibility of finding a decent hotel between kepmty falls and mussorie is high. If not, we would have no choice but to take any run of the mill hotel on mall road by parking our car somewhere out or drive down to dehradoon and stay there.

I have never been on this route before. Can someone suggest which is the best route to take and what kind of road condition I can expect. My fiesta is set for a test with 5 adults on board and I want to make sure I get best of the roads.

The current suggested route is Delhi-Meerut-Dehradun-Vikas Nagar-Lakha Mandal.
New.Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 23:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

The first major red light that you approach after you have crossed the Toll after Karnal. Its the gateway to the holy city of Kurukshetra. As you approach from Delhi you can turn left from this crossing to reach Kurukshetra, Pehowa, Kaithal, Hissar, Hansi, Rohtak. Turn right and you go to Yamunanagar, Paonta, Saharanpur, Haridwar. Continue straight onto Shahbad, Ambala, Chandigarh.
But pull into the Haryana Tourism complex just before the red lights for some delicious flavoured milk and tasty idli/vada with sambhar.

@new novice: The route to lakhamandal is through Chakrata itself. So follow the advise on this route thread to get to Lakha Mandal. BTW a nice destination scenic and unique as not many people visit this place.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 24th June 2011 at 23:44.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 15:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@new novice: The route to lakhamandal is through Chakrata itself. So follow the advise on this route thread to get to Lakha Mandal. BTW a nice destination scenic and unique as not many people visit this place.
Came back from Lakhamandal. The route that I took was Delhi-Mujaffarnagar-Haridwar-Dehradun-Mussorie (stayed at a resort between Mussorie and Kempty fall) - Nainbagh - Damta - Barnigaad - Lakhamandal.

Road after dehradun are good till yamuna bridge which is about 17 kilometers from mussorie. Of course you have to cross kempty fall on your way which is a night mare. But the real pain starts after yamuna bridge. Road is almost non existant. craters, land slides .. what not. my fiesta was put to extreme test. Lakhamandal is about 40 painfull kilometers after yamuna bridge.

Will put a short travelogue shortly.
New.Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 18:23   #37
BHPian

Hi guys,

Sorry, I forgot to update earlier - I went to Chakrata using the Yamuna Nagar route. Left around 0600 hrs from Gurgaon and was in Chakrata by 1400 hrs (including two stops of about 20 minutes each) and an hour long wait due to a landslide.

The Yamunagar route is longer (by about 60Kms) than the one via Dehradun but I think less annoying.

The road Delhi-Panipat stretch is now fantastic, while the Panipat-Pipli section has a lot of work going on and slows you down.

The Yamunanagr - Paonta Sahib route is a excellent (except for 3 Kms strech near Paonta Sahib).

Danish
danish_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 02:58   #38
BHPian

Folks,

Coming back to the forum after a long hiatus and boy, am I glad I am here!!! The slavery that my job subjects me to has only now given me an opportunity (after May 2012 when I went for my Kuari Pass trek - Check out the journals for detailed travelogue ) to head out into the mountains again.

Actually I am going for the Vipassana meditation course 1st to 12th December 2013 in Dehradun after which I have 12th - 15th for a short trip nearby (have to be in Delhi latest by 15th evening). I am a peace and quiet man, traveling alone, driving myself and have almost zeroed in on Chakrata after my Vipassana course completes on 12th morning. I need your help please on the following questions I have

> Route and road conditions from Dehradun to Chakrata?
> Whats the current status with respect to the barriers?
> How best can i optimize my travel and leaving time from DD given single lane road and barriers?
> Is Deoban and Tiger Falls doable on my Verna Diesel (2008 model) or should I leave my car in Chakrata and take a cab there? Ground clearance is ok and its a powerful car but at low RPMs on steep inclines it has sometimes given me some sorrow
> Is it possible to fit in a trip to Chamba / Dhanolti (is it even worth it?) in this timeframe?
> Which hotel is better? Heard there are only two good ones. View and location near peace and quiet is more important for me than luxury.
> Any other suggestions / ideas to make the trip better? I love trekking - any good ones in this area?
> Would Chakrata have snow at this time? If yes, guess it wont be as bad as to affect driving safety I hope?

Many thanks!
Aman

PS: I promise to write a nice travelogue once I am back so please make my trip a great success by giving me detailed responses and suggestions.
Amankhanna76 is offline   Reply With Quote