Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2009, 17:38   #181
BHPian

One of the most thrilling experiences of my "reading" life.
Great story(?) Sam(Yeti).
I have been glued to this thread and missed a TON of work ,

I hate this website

And the pictures are great man , even if they are from a moving car , most of the pictures taken standing on Terra Firma from a lot of people are worse than the ones in your Travelogue
Old 30th July 2009, 17:57   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Aaah Thiruvanathapuram aka Trivandrum. My home town. Last time I've been there is in 2006. It pretty much stays the same as if time has stood still. Man I love that place, and must go back soon.

Sam - I would love to see the picture of our Napier muesuem in the night, if you'd clicked any.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It was a nice experience. Sure the compartment was a bit dirty initially, but some crippled guy would come and clean up the place throughly, collecting all the garbage and bottles and then everything would be fine. I'd give him 5 bucks.
The coffee was nice, the vendors were not obtrusive or bothering us in any way.

In fact no one on the entire train bothered us. Some looked at us curiously, but looked away immediately as soon as we made eye contact.

It was a safe and nice experience and we would do it again. In fact I would even go on further to say that we enjoyed this more than AC train or flying and would like to do a pan-india vacation by 2nd class train.
Wow, thank you Sam. Its wonderful to see that Kerala is Gods own country in more ways than one
Old 30th July 2009, 18:02   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
.. one giant leap for mallukind. I hope the pic is appropriate on the 40th anniversary of man on the moon.
Spadivel, that is brilliant! Absolutely love it!

It is even more clever than the non-mallu's might appreciate, and luckily I have my wife to translate, for that is none other than Chandran's tea shop!

Old 30th July 2009, 18:17   #185
BHPian

I love the rains in Kerala, it’s mystical and romantic.

Sam, your pics and narration have made me so homesick that I am tempted to fly down for a couple of days but, but, but am unable to muster enough courage to tell my mom and wife even though I could redeem a few miles for a free ticket, we just returned back in May.

Travelogues like these bring back wonderful memories. The train journey brought back nostalgic memories of our annual summer vacation to Kerala from Bangalore and the well-known breakfast at Palakkad railway station that we used to eagerly wait for. The paddy fields and canals, group of men playing cards, greenery in abundance. I wish Kerala remains this way as it has undergone a remarkable transformation at a rapid pace during the last decade, the community life that we grew up in is almost non existent in most parts of Kerala and I miss my grandma’s passionately fried Pazhampori and the chaaya

Looking forward to read a best seller from Sam Kapasi and The One, you have got all the possible certification on the Team-BHP forum, the characters, places, events and customers, the sooner that is published the better for us as it would let us concentrate back on work while in office.
Old 30th July 2009, 18:45   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

On my first visit to India I travelled from Chennai to Trivandrum. As I was driven from the airport into the city, I was waiting for the traffic choas and the madness to begin --- but it never did!

That was a while ago, but I still feel that Trivandrum is so laid back as to hardly feel like a city at all. I hope it doesn't change
Old 30th July 2009, 19:22   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
And the pictures are great man , even if they are from a moving car , most of the pictures taken standing on Terra Firma from a lot of people are worse than the ones in your Travelogue
are you calling rest of us "a lot of people" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post

Loved the pics. Just look at those guys sitting in a circle in some 'parambu' and playing cards!
looks like a 'todi' meet to me.
Old 30th July 2009, 20:17   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That was a while ago, but I still feel that Trivandrum is so laid back as to hardly feel like a city at all. I hope it doesn't change
I have felt that time had stood still, atleast from 1999 till now.
Hope it stays like that.
Old 30th July 2009, 21:00   #189
Senior - BHPian

Sam, how come you missed those huge trees on way from your hotel @ Fort Cochin to the Santa Cruz Basilica?

On train, I would suggest that in Kerala, for trains with sleeper class, you travel "sleeper class" - to avoid the crowd. You get unreserved tickets for journes commencing after 6 am and before 8 PM for minimum Rs. 101/- + sleeper surcharge, if applicable. I suspect you took the Bangalore - Kanyakumari "fast passenger"? That is a very crowded train.
Old 30th July 2009, 21:46   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I have felt that time had stood still, atleast from 1999 till now.
Hope it stays like that.
Heh, those of you who haven't visited TVM in years are in for a shock. The mirror like roads are all gone. JCBs have taken over. If any of you have travel plans, I suggest postponing for a year or two :P Maybe more.
Old 30th July 2009, 21:57   #191
Senior - BHPian

I thought Malayalees(keralites/keralans) are generalized as professional starers.especially with girls.
@samkapasi:they spare non-keralites may be.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:37   #192
Senior - BHPian

I think its would be more appropriate to say that its a japanese invasion. The JCB's are just the pawns.
They want to makes us drink water.

No need to shelve any travel plans though. Just bring a competent offroader ( soft roaders please excuse)
Old 30th July 2009, 22:55   #193
BHPian

lol Sam, instead of the mango / pineapple juice you should have opted for "Pazham Pori" at the railway station.

Last edited by MuraliR : 30th July 2009 at 22:56.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:43   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
lol Sam, instead of the mango / pineapple juice you should have opted for "Pazham Pori" at the railway station.
Only once in my life I have had this, the first time I went to Kerala on official work. It was at the India Coffee House, what a place it was. Is it still around?
Old 31st July 2009, 09:57   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am surprised they are keeping the pool open and functional during monsoon. Most hotels won't bother with it.
Absolutely. And the reason pools are not kept functional during rains is that you really cannot control the "run in". A lot of people are known to get sick that way.
Closed Thread