Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 11th August 2009, 16:38   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup thats a hand pump for "just in case" situations and i think you guys could have stayed together in the boys section front is for lone female traveler me guess.
Thats right.
In the picture itself you can see a lady in that section.
Old 11th August 2009, 16:45   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup thats a hand pump for "just in case" situations and i think you guys could have stayed together in the boys section front is for lone female traveler me guess.
lol; yah

There's gal in the pic even!

Edit ! oops! I was last to post
Old 11th August 2009, 16:56   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
There's gal in the pic even!
you mean the girl with the pink dupatta dont you?
Old 11th August 2009, 20:14   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My guess would be that that (which certainly is a hand pump) is a bilge pump.
@ Thad - You are spot on.

That's the Fort Cochin - Vypeen Ferry. Till few years back when it was run by the Cochin Corporation the fare was 25 Paise for a ticket. Now I guess it is Rs.2/- as Sam mentioned. I still remember those days as a student when we used to get a monthly pass for 50 Paise

Those Wooden boats are really old, IIRC they are from early 80's. They had experimented with a Steel boat probably a decade or so back but that had some serious structural & engine issues and was later abandoned. There have also been a few instances where the engines have failed and the boat was adrift in the sea and had to be hauled back to the jetty.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:15   #305
BHPian

Guys, sorry to come back to Mundu again. Just remembered a funny situation that I was in.

I visit the Guruvayoor temple twice every year along with my parents. Every year we end up doing Thulabharam (wherein we are weighed with sugar, coconuts, jaggery etc etc which is then offered to god).
For those of you who dont know, we are not allowed to wear pants inside the temple. When I was a kid I used to wear the school shorts. Now that i am 26, I have no other alternative other than wearing the Mundu. Its fine wearing it and walking around. The worst part was when we have to sit on the weighing balance.

Tried wearing the Bermuda once. I dont know what was wrong, but all around were staring at me. Guess its considered as an undergarment in kerala. I dont know. guys, please clarify.

Trust me its horribly tough to sit folding one's legs wearing mundu unless you are experienced which i am not. I struggled to sit on the balance and I dont know what i did. In the end it was a free show for all those around.

Zteg
Old 11th August 2009, 22:44   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
For those of you who dont know, we are not allowed to wear pants inside the temple.

Tried wearing the Bermuda once. I dont know what was wrong, but all around were staring at me. Guess its considered as an undergarment in kerala. I dont know.

In the end it was a free show for all those around.
you mean no undergarments allowed either? I am tempted to POINT OUT it could be worse.
Old 12th August 2009, 00:02   #307
BHPian

Of course you can wear undergarments. Even bermuda under your mundu. Just practise on the floor before you get on a weighing scale.
Old 12th August 2009, 08:41   #308
BHPian

Undergarments are allowed. Actually I had never thought about it. I thought that sitting is no big deal and can be done araamse. I only realised when it was my turn to sit on the balance.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:13   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Pants, american is trousers, but pants, british is underpants only. This is a very mild cultural confusion compared to that which besets the word thong!

As I came to wearing a vesti through playing music, it was never much of a problem sitting cross-legged --- but I've seen more than one classical musician standing up to find their vesti is still on the stage; it does happen!
Old 12th August 2009, 16:01   #310
BHPian

As there has been extensive discussions about mundus, veshtis & Lungis, the following video would help highlight the way the lungis are worn in true Chennai ishtyle.

Old 12th August 2009, 17:42   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Guys, sorry to come back to Mundu again. Just remembered a funny situation that I was in.

I visit the Guruvayoor temple twice every year along with my parents. Every year we end up doing Thulabharam (wherein we are weighed with sugar, coconuts, jaggery etc etc which is then offered to god).
For those of you who dont know, we are not allowed to wear pants inside the temple. When I was a kid I used to wear the school shorts. Now that i am 26, I have no other alternative other than wearing the Mundu. Its fine wearing it and walking around. The worst part was when we have to sit on the weighing balance.

Tried wearing the Bermuda once. I dont know what was wrong, but all around were staring at me. Guess its considered as an undergarment in kerala. I dont know. guys, please clarify.

Trust me its horribly tough to sit folding one's legs wearing mundu unless you are experienced which i am not. I struggled to sit on the balance and I dont know what i did. In the end it was a free show for all those around.

Zteg
lol - tell me about it. I sat on the same scale in the same temple and also had to wear a mundu. quite an experince... It looked like I was limping I couldn't walk properly at all!

ps, nothing beats a lungi in comfort - chennai ishstyle
Old 12th August 2009, 19:10   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
lol - tell me about it. I sat on the same scale in the same temple and also had to wear a mundu. quite an experince... It looked like I was limping I couldn't walk properly at all!

ps, nothing beats a lungi in comfort - chennai ishstyle
I actually asked my dad a tie a knot for me so that it doesnt fall off when walking. That would last for around 15 mins and then I had to walk around with one hand on the knot
Old 12th August 2009, 22:22   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't you get uhh modern mundus? Like ready-to-wear with elastic and so on? Like a skirt?
Old 12th August 2009, 22:26   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Don't you get uhh modern mundus? Like ready-to-wear with elastic and so on? Like a skirt?
Why would it be called a mundu then. It can simply be called skirt
Old 12th August 2009, 22:36   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Well one can buy a ready-to-wear dhoti and it looks pretty authentic and a novice can actually wear one without displaying his gonads...

So why not a mundu? Here's a seed for business.
Closed Thread