Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2009, 15:59   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I havent experience is a massage ! I intend to check this but ONLY from some renowned place.

TheOne doesnt read this? Jenny ! he was laughing at you! :P
Old 17th August 2009, 11:30   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshanand View Post
Hope you will get the impression changed nxt time with a refreshing experience

Aneesh Anand
Aneesh,

My impression of Kerala could not get any better. For both Jenny and I, this is one of our most favourite places in India and on our must-return list.

For the land, the culture, the water, the food and our friends.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:54   #363
BHPian

Cool gr8

Hi Yati

Now, that's the attitude

If possible, I can help you finding hidden treasures (take it as places ..) and not-so-frequent routes in kerala, where one can find the beauty of nature to the core.

Will keep another thread for unfolding map to kerala.
hope that will help the thirst for traveling to south.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:01   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Day Seven: The Kathakali Academy

What language asks the guy who gives us our tickets.
English say I looking at him.

He gives me two programs in English. It dawns on me. Do you have German?
Of course.
Then I'll take one English and one German thank you.

It was an excerpt from the Mahabharata. The story of Bhima and the Demon Baka. In dramatic form, it explained about the Brahmana who complains to Bhima, Bhima who visits the demon's lair and eats his food and then kills the Denon himself in a fight.

Not a very long story is it?
No it isn't really about the story. It's about the art of story-telling in expressions.

I have been fascinated with Indian dance since I was a child. As I have grown older I find it fascinating still. I must use many words to tell a small tale and yet, Kathakali is the stark opposite of me, where the characters must mime their way through a plethora of emotions.
Sure there is a singer/story-teller, but he speaks in Malayalam and I do not understand the words. And yet I understand it all.

We arrive in time to see the make-up being completed.

YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9727_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9732_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9746_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9759_l.jpg <br />
While that is almost over, the master comes out and places the auspicious chalk marks around the stage, along with flowers and more. Of course, the audience find it interesting.<br /> <br />
I look around and see some Americans, some Europeans, some chatting in English and some in French. A Dutch couple sits just in front of us. Nice.<br /> <br />
I know Jenny is particularly fond of dance, music and expressionism and I am curious to see her reaction to Kathakali.<br />
Already she is curious, and gets up to inspect the patterns and take a few photos.<br /> <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9740_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9751_l.jpg <br />
Soon the dance master comes up on stage and explains the basics of Kathakali. Right from the history to the present. He explains the dyes and how they are derived from organics and vegetables.<br />
He explains the significance of the colours and the art of Kathakali.<br /> <br />
The drummer comes on and an actor performs the various Bhavas, or emotions as the dance master explains each Bhava. Even though I have seen this before, I am fascinated.<br /> <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9761_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9762_l.jpg   <div style=
Old 17th August 2009, 12:07   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Day Seven: The performance

Soon, the actual play begins and amongst the drums and the music, the story in enacted in 3 parts.

We both enjoy it immensely, but at some point for Jenny it is a bit longer than she could imagine. Each emotion is displayed in a variety of forms and rather than the focus being on the story, the emotional content is expanded upon in true Kathakali style.

Perhaps this is why Hindi movies more often focus on emotional content than getting on with the story quickly. Perhaps that's who we are.

The performance is top-notch and thoroughly enjoyable.

YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9763_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9766_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9774_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9795_l.jpg <br /> <a href=YetiBlog® - Krash Kourse Kerala!-dsc_9807_l.jpg <br />
We leave, pleased and intend to meet Ashvin right away.</div>   <div style=
Old 17th August 2009, 12:12   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Day Seven: Almost over

Both Ashvin and his very interesting friend Ramesh are deeply apologetic about the massage experience.

It seems that this massage place had won various accolades but it's time is through. They also suspect that the manin-charge is on holiday. This would make sense.
After assuring them repeatedly that it was not their fault (it most certainly was not!) we spend a pleasant evening at Ramesh's restaurant.

Soon we join Steeroid's family for an absolutely scrumptious dinner. It is so wonderful to feel at home on the final night of our (too) short stay in Kerala.

We sleep early, tomorrow will be an early morning.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:27   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Day Eight: It's over!!

We wake up at 5.30 as planned.

Steeroid has rescheduled his flight from Dubai in order to have breakfast with us. He arrives half an hour before we wake up. We spend a wonderful morning having a sweet breakfast and interesting conversations.

Unfortunately, the end to breakfast, is the end to our little holiday.

Despite his all-nighter, Steers steers us to the airport in his Safari. We have already said our goodbyes to his better half and Duboy has joined us for the drive. Soon it's time for goodbyes. Ones we wish we didn't have to make. It's been short with the Steeroid family, but close and warm. We're very thankful.

We're both slightly numb. It seems so strange that we have experienced so much and so many cities in just a week. It seems even stranger that all that hustling and bustling we've done in this gorgeous state has been far more relaxing than the daily hustle-bustle of life in Mumbai.
We need to come back.

To explore Thekkady and Munnar and Varkala and more. To eat those fried bananas. To meet these lovely friends again. To smell the fresh sea and even fresher prawns.
To soothe our eyes with various shades of green, to calm our nerves with the silence and peace, to clear our lungs with the fresh air.

Whoever named this place "God's own country" sure knew what he/she was talking about.

The End.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks very much for enjoying this travelogue and sorry it took so long to end. I also know that the end has been slightly rushed and may not please all of you, but I am travelling extensively and may not be able to log on for a few days.

I will read all your comments on my mobile though.

Cheers and love,
Sam

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 17th August 2009 at 12:28.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:41   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

And so the end of this travelogue

Always welcome back. Next time, the hills and maybe more beaches and of course a house boat trip.

Bon Voyage Yeti !
Old 17th August 2009, 12:49   #369
BHPian

Wonderful thread Mr. Kapasi, brought back memories of a recently done 4 day weekend break to Thekkady and Kumarakom. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread typed out in your own inimitable style and humor. Need I say more?
Old 17th August 2009, 13:07   #370
BHPian

Amazing writing as usual; enjoyed the transformation of being to Kerala sitting at office desk for the past few days.
Old 17th August 2009, 13:27   #371
BHPian

My first reply to the many blogs of Yeti (each of which I have read even before I became a member)...amazing stuff , great photos and a great experience to read. I mean sometimes even if the picture is missing the dialogues in italics and the vivid description nearly paint a word-picture....awaiting another travelogue from you soon
Old 17th August 2009, 14:54   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Sigh! ...!
Back to work now.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:21   #373
BHPian

Read this blog over the last few days and it reminded me of my vacation last year in Kerala.

Enjoyed your writing Sam and hope to read more from you.
Good photos to go along with the narrative as well!
Old 17th August 2009, 15:52   #374
BHPian

Default Cochin rocks

Sam,

Truly, an amazing blog...i relived my moments that i spent while growing up in Cochin !

How i miss my hometown, the rains, people, food and above all, the simplistic lifestyles..!!

FortCochin was our party grounds that used to induce a Goan kind of vibe..during Newyear/Christmas times with carnivals, beach motorbike races etc etc..I just love those hangouts in FortCochin..

Great read..way to go

later..
Siva
Old 17th August 2009, 16:13   #375
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue.. feels like we were also traveling with you!! Hope to see you soon with another one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Whoever named this place "God's own country" sure knew what he/she was talking about.
Sam
I think it is one Mr. Harsha Vardhan, at present working with Mudra Communications named Kerala - "God's own country"
Closed Thread