Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2009, 16:23   #376
BHPian

All good things will come to an end, and so does this Yetiblog. Or does it? I think the guys will keep it alive with small talk for a while.

This was indeed a wonderful write up. We will wait for your next one!
Old 17th August 2009, 16:39   #377
BHPian

Sam - Wonderful travelogue with some lovely snaps. Thanks for writing about Fort Cochin. Sorry about the bad experience you had at the Massage parlor, it shows the dark side of crass commercialization and it does indeed give a bad name to the soothing Ayurvedic massages. High time that the govt took some steps to regulate this before it gets too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Nice travelogue.. feels like we were also traveling with you!! Hope to see you soon with another one!!

I think it is one Mr. Harsha Vardhan, at present working with Mudra Communications named Kerala - "God's own country"
@ coolclouds - I have read that Dr.Vipin Gopal is credited as the one who coined the phrase "God's Own Country". Read more here - Vipin Gopal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 17th August 2009, 17:25   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it is one Mr. Harsha Vardhan, at present working with Mudra Communications named Kerala - "God's own country"
AFAIK, it was coined by Mr.Amitabh Kant IAS, the (then) tourism secretary of Kerala on a brainstorming session and was instantly approved by Mr.Chandrasekharan Nair, the tourism minister in the 1987-1991 Nayanar ministry. In fact, the bold decisions of these two men made Kerala what it is today as far as tourism is concerned.

Mr. Kant is the younger brother of Mr. Ravi Kant, the former supremo of Tata Motors. Incidently, he is also the man behind the "Incredible India" campaign..

Read more here:
'Position India as an upmarket destination'

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 17th August 2009 at 17:31.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:37   #379
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue, as usual.
You almost covered all major aspects of kerala.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:41   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
AFAIK, it was coined by Mr.Amitabh Kant IAS, the (then) tourism secretary of Kerala on a brainstorming session and was instantly approved by Mr.Chandrasekharan Nair, the tourism minister in the 1987-1991 Nayanar ministry. In fact, the bold decisions of these two men made Kerala what it is today as far as tourism is concerned.

Mr. Kant is the younger brother of Mr. Ravi Kant, the former supremo of Tata Motors. Incidently, he is also the man behind the "Incredible India" campaign..

Read more here:
I remember when Amitabh Kant took charge as the Calicut District Collector, someone had remarked: "I have heard about Amitabh Bachchan, I have also heard about Rajnikant, but never heard of an Amitabh Kant before!"

The joke notwithstanding, Mr.Kant left his mark as one of the most efficient IAS officers the state has seen in recent times.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:46   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post

I have read that Dr.Vipin Gopal is credited as the one who coined the phrase "God's Own Country". Read more here - Vipin Gopal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Quote:
AFAIK, it was coined by Mr.Amitabh Kant IAS, the (then) tourism secretary of Kerala on a brainstorming session and
So who indeed coined that phrase then?
Old 17th August 2009, 19:32   #382
BHPian

Hey Sam, heard that the kathakali makeup takes over 4 hours. Is it true?

Also they carry around 25kgs on their head???

Hey Sam, wonderful read.. had a great time reading this travelogue. anxiously waiting for the next
Old 17th August 2009, 20:02   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

The make up can certainly take a couple of hours; don't know about four!

I am doubtful also about the 25 kg... but the entire costume must amount to quite a lot. Those broad skirts are filled out with layers of sacking.

If you want to really wonder at the strength of an apparently skinny guy, try picking up one of those drums, the madalam, the one which is held horizontally, suspended from a sash around the waste, with both hands. I've not weighed one, but I guess it is 15 kg. For full performances and other events, they have to carry and play like this for hours, maybe even all night. Astonishing.

Sam, I'm reminded of how my Kerala trips used to end in the long flight back to London, with no chance of returning for at least a year. At least we both live closer to Kerala than that
Old 17th August 2009, 20:23   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

the one which is held horizontally, suspended from a sash around the waste, with both hands.
U mean the waist

There was a program sometime back on Zee TV called dance india dance in which 2 dancers performed kathakali. It was more a modern kathakali(to the song, chumma chumma de de). They performed beautifully. In was in this show they mentioned the 4 hours and 25kgs. They must have exaggerated.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:02   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Amitabh Kant, AFAIK. I had participated some tourism related activity (no, was not a babu then), and that is what the talks were. sandeepmdas' statement is ore or less, true.

And it is his performance as secy, Tourism, Kerala, that earned him the assignment of heading the "incredible India" campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you want to really wonder at the strength of an apparently skinny guy, try picking up one of those drums, the madalam, the one which is held horizontally, suspended from a sash around the waste,
Without comment. ;-)

I think the "Kathakali Academy" is the one off Chittor Road near South / Valanjambalam Junction?
Old 17th August 2009, 21:13   #386
BHPian

Quote:

Read more here:
@ Sandeepmdas - An error there - Amitabh Kant was Kerala Tourism Secretary from Sep,1997 to July 2001, read more here - Amitabh Kant

I agree that he was the master brain behind conceptualizing and executing the campaign but he was not the 1st one who used "God's own Country" in context of Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Sam - The term was 1st used by Dr. Vipin Gopal, see his page here - http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~vipin/kerala.html

[quote=BaCkSeAtDrIVeR;1436589]Amitabh Kant, AFAIK. I had participated some tourism related activity (no, was not a babu then), and that is what the talks were. sandeepmdas' statement is ore or less, true.

And it is his performance as secy, Tourism, Kerala, that earned him the assignment of heading the "incredible India" campaign.

@ BaCkSeAtDrIVeR - Yes he did some splendid work in driving these campaigns, Hats off to him.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:27   #387
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sam, my native is allepey & your pics make me love my native so much. i am a mumbaite, much as i love mumbai, i do miss the occassional visit to my native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
well ,beautiful kerala does not provide enough employments for most of the keralites and Malayalis have to migrate and flood cities like bangalore ,bombay and "gelf".just that I felt to say some truth as well.- like not everything is rosy either on this part of India.no offence intended to any.
what do you mean by "flood" buddy? no point in writing "no offence intended" when your post itself is in a very offensive tone. you are making me feel as if i am an outsider in mumbai now!

cheers anyways.
Old 17th August 2009, 22:16   #388
Senior - BHPian

I think what he meant that there are probably more mallus in those places than us mallus find ourselves comfortable with
And what he says is true, there just isnt enough employment there in kerala , at least which they would do.
Which brings up another point - that mallus will work anywhere except kerala
Old 17th August 2009, 22:24   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Which brings up another point - that mallus will work anywhere except kerala
And hence the influx of labourers from other states.
Old 17th August 2009, 23:31   #390
Senior - BHPian

Ah! reality dawns.now to get back on with life after spending such an awesome vacation in kerala.Thanks for this vacation Sam.even though it was a virtual one.

Travel Safe!

Waiting for the next blog of the travel you're on right now.
Closed Thread