Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th August 2009, 22:24   #1
Default Bidar to Nagpur-NH 9/NH 7 road trip

Did a road trip from Bidar to Nagpur on the 1st of August, so here goes:

Started from Bidar on 0920 hrs. Plan was to hit Hyd'bad following NH 9 and thereafter cut across the city to NH 7 and make a non stop dash to Nagpur.
Bidar to Hyd'bad was a nice drive. The roads were good to very good all across. There were no signs of any rain damage to the roads. One can easity maintain speed averaging 80-100 in this stretch. However, there are various small villages and towns on the way where one needs to be careful. From Sangareddy, the highway becomes 4 lane and hence the average speed increases. However, the joy of highspeed driving is shortlived as the infamous Hyderabadi traffic cuts in at Patancheru which is about 50 kms short of Hyd'bad. For the un-initiated, one has to be very careful for bikes and autos which will cut across your path from any direction and for no apparent reason. It is best to maintain a sedate pace from now on to the city.
I made it from Bidar to Hyd'bad, a distance od 130 kms, in 2 hours and I hit Miyapur crossroads at 1120 hrs. After hitting the Miyapur crossing, I turned right for Gandimaissamma and from there, hit STC, turned left and cut across to NH 7 taking the road that goes past the AP Forest Academy and the Textile Development Park. I hit NH & at 1150 hrs.
The NH 7 is a joy from Hyd'bad to Kamareddy, a distance of 115 kms. The time you wll take to make good this distance depends entirely on you and the spped that your ride can handle. The road is the proper 4 lane, with no/negligeble local traffic. In fact I was quite surprised with the lack of traffic density. Probably, this route will be busier during the night with the long distance buses plying.
After crossing Kamareddy, it is back to the "normal" NHs, which are just about 2 lane. The road condition per-se however was good even though there were ample signs patchwork. I was able to maintain an average speed of around 60-70 kms on this stretch. The road continues to be 2 lane till around 40 kms short of Nirmal. Here, you will suddenly come up to the 4 lane highway, but will be aghast to see traffic on your lane coming from the oppopsite direction. The reason for this is that only 2 lanes of the 4 has been opened to traffic. However, once you settle down, the good road conditions allow you to maintain good speeds. From now on, till Nirmal, the 4 laned NH plays hide and seek. There are stretches where you will find 2 lanes open to traffic but as soon as you come close to any town, it will be back to the old NH. It seemed to me that the construction of the new NH is slow around towns/cities, but comparitively better inbetween them. I reached Nirmal at 1425 hrs where I took a 20 min lunch break.
After Nirmal, the roads are again 2 lane. There was ample patchwork but the countryside was much more lush and green. There were a few small stretches over small hills and such, where the winding roads were a welcome break fron the monotony of dirving straight or almost so. Around 15 kms out of Nirmal, the 4 lane work is back on. As before, there are 2 lanes which are open to trafifc, but here, the stretches in which the work has been completed is much shorter, hence, one has to be very careful because, all of a sudden the beautiful roads will absolutely dissappear or you will hit a dirversion to switch lanes and these diversions at places, have no road surface at all. This will continue till Adilabad and beyond. After Adilabad however, the breaks in the work in the NH work is much more frequent as compared to the earlier stretch. Hence average sppeds will be adversely hit. In the first hour after lunch, I was able to do 80 kms, but in the next hour only 50. However, as we keep coming closer to Nagpur, the road condition becomes better, and about 100 kms short of Nagpur, the roads are again full four lane and I was able to make good the last 125 kms to base in 1hr 15mins. I reached Nagpur at 1900hrs.
So the total distance of 630 kms was done in 9 1/2 hrs with a breal of 20 min in between.

Places to eat: APTDC resturant named Harita is around 70 kms out of Hyd'bad (sorry, don't remember the place it is close to.) After that, there is a decentish Dhaba reaching Kamareddy. Thereafter, the NH shirts all major towns/cities and hence one is short of eating joints till reaching Nirmal. Here there were quite a few decent looking joints. I had lunch at Tirumala Resturant and Bar. The place looks a bit shady, but, the food was decent. There are quite a few other Veg loints as well. After this, there weae 2 Ghar Dhabas run by BP near Adilabad.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 12:07   #2

Nice information buddy! Will be using this road in 2 months time. Hopefully, the conditions would have improved by then
MrinalSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:01   #3

Excellent narration and superb information.

Guess I can now just simply drive to Nagpur without much advance thinking and planning since I know (thanks to you) where all to break journey enroute.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote