Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th August 2009, 15:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Somnathapura- Where Heritage comes alive

A new vehicle in the house would always mean a trip somewhere. But given the work schedules and all the care being taken to avoid exposure to the pandemic meant no long trips for now.

Since my brother’s kids had not yet seen the car, we decided to visit their farm at Maddur. So it was on Sunday that we were still debating whether to go or not, and finally by 10 am we left home, picked up my brother’s kids at their place and started off towards Mysore road, the plan was to meet up my brother and sis in law at the Mysore road satellite bus terminus where he would drop off his car and join us in the safari.

But as we reached Mysore road the kids as well as us were hungry and so we decided to stop by at McDonald’s at Gopalan mall. A leisurely lunch later we realised the time was almost 2.00 pm, as we hit a weekend crowd on Mysore road the talk in the car veered towards going to Talakad, Shivanasamudra or Somnathpur, so finally we decided to go to Somnathpur as that would be least likely to be crowded.

Somnathpur can be accessed from Maddur, after the Maddur bus stand take a left turn towards Malavalli, from Maddur Somnathpur is about 50 kms away. At Malavalli turn right towards Bannur, on reaching Bannur there is a left turn with clear signage towards Somnathpur.

We reached Somnathpur at about 4.30 pm; the heritage site closes at 5.30 pm. We hired a guide for Rs.150/- and went around the temple complex on a guided tour. I am very bad at reciting history of the temple and so will just post some pictures I took while on the tour.

The History
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1147
Size:  86.6 KB

A View of the lawns
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  122.4 KB

An idol outside the temple
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1120
Size:  120.6 KB

The Somanathpura Temple
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 1161
Size:  70.5 KB

The temple quadrangle
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 1105
Size:  87.8 KB

Some exquisite sculptures
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  139.6 KB

...contd.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 15:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 1101
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  8.JPG
Views: 1077
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  9.JPG
Views: 1050
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  10.JPG
Views: 1072
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  11.JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  12.JPG
Views: 1036
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  13.JPG
Views: 1036
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  14.JPG
Views: 1021
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  15.JPG
Views: 1045
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  16.JPG
Views: 1045
Size:  86.6 KB

As we finished the tour the authorities closed the temple premises and we were the last to leave. It was heartening to note that ASI has indeed maintained the place very nicely and there are enough guards to ensure that no one defaces the historic place.
We started back to Maddur and reached my brother’s farm at 7 pm and after a short stay started back towards Bangalore. The traffic on the highway was frustrating and rain added to our woes, but finally reached home at 10.30 pm.
My take on the vehicle: (Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor)
Driving position is very good with a clear view all around, the 16” wheels take on bad roads quite comfortably, passenger seating is comfortable for 5 people including driver, the last row jump seats can only accommodate children. The vehicle feels planted firmly on highways at speeds around the three digit mark. Stock lighting is poor (have upgraded).
The roads:
Roads till Maddur are excellent but for the weekend madness, Maddur to Malavalli is not so smooth with huge road humps which suddenly appear. Malavalli to Bannur is ok, Bannur to Somnathpur is being laid so is currently a dirt track.
Have not checked the fuel economy as of now as I have not done two consecutive tank fulls.

Regards,
Hari.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well Hari, I guessed so, this weekend you will be off with the beast. Nice pics.
When is the big drive coming ?

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 16:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Somanathpur is really something! I was there on 14th of Aug. A really wonderful piece of architecture. I took the exact photos that you have taken, but your photographic skills are a lot better than mine.

Interesting that you found a guide. I asked for one, but was told that there were no guides for that temple.

I was at Jala Dhama, Talkadu on 13th. I visited Somanathpur while returning to Bangalore.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 17:01   #5
BHPian

Hi, Nice pics. I have been to Mysore, Srirangapatna so many times but was not aware of this Beautiful place. When I heard the Somanathpur, at first I thought it is some place in Orissa. I guess I will be going here pretty soon. Thanks for the lovely pics again. Which camera did you use?
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 12:12   #6
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and seems you're having a blast with your Safari already !! Thanks for sharing.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 13:59   #7
BHPian

You MUST do belur/Hailebid which will complete your Triology of Hoysala wonders in Karnataka.
manavdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 03:29   #8
BHPian

Try to visit Mudukthere - Temple of Shiva & Parvathi on the hill. Very close to Somnathpura. The view from the top of Cauvery river is superb. There is a place to boat around near the base.
The temple is very nice too.
NRKUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 03:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics,Hari.
Just curious, is that a metal pillar inside the temple? Or is that a lamp of some sorts?
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 06:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Luke nice pics. I had visited these places when i was a kid but the pics made me remember them:-)
Congrats on the new car by the way. SOme pics here please!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 09:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ Nitin
Quote:
Just curious, is that a metal pillar inside the temple?
That is not a metal pillar, it is made of stone, the gleam is the work of hundreds or thousands of tourists who have caressed it.