Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 10:50   #106
BHPian
 
arindamray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 749
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Yes the hotel stops were similar to yours. If you remember i took your help in locating Hotel Kanishka on the map. Thanks.
Yes, I do. Happy to be of help.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:29   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default

Superb tracking of the journey and excellent pictures at all the places that matter.
Still waiting for the traveller's own pics though...
Shakal dikha do bhai, ab bahut der ho gayi,
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:59   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Superb tracking of the journey and excellent pictures at all the places that matter.
Still waiting for the traveller's own pics though...
Shakal dikha do bhai, ab bahut der ho gayi,
Thanks devdath.



Golden Quadrilateral ? Well Almost-100_1973.jpg
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:07   #109
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Thanks devdath.
The travelogue is amazing. Wanted to know one thing: how much time does it take from Bhuvaneshwar to Bangalore and back (Just to remind you one thing: I don't drive as fast you do!)? I am planning to go some time in Dec and I have 5 days I'd say. I am not sure if I can do a night drive.

PS: Seems like you are getting better food off late.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:09   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

After 3 years as a silent member, this is my first post in T-BHP. No better way to begin than with your wonderful travelog and pics. It's always been my dream to drive all around India and your trip is more than an inspiration. Looking eagerly forward to the rest.

Cheers
Slakhs
slakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:13   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Simply great

Yep man, Excellent thread.. with great photos & detailed report . Very Inspiring to start a long drive plan.

Hope I too someday able to convince my better half for a long pending Blr-Gujarat-Blr drive
speed_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:20   #112
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
The travelogue is amazing. Wanted to know one thing: how much time does it take from Bhuvaneshwar to Bangalore and back (Just to remind you one thing: I don't drive as fast you do!)? I am planning to go some time in Dec and I have 5 days I'd say. I am not sure if I can do a night drive.

PS: Seems like you are getting better food off late.
For me Bhubaneshwar to Bangalore was 23 hours of pure drive time. Add break time to that. And remember i havent driven fast on this trip at all. This is the pace that you would easily drive.

Non 4-lane sections are last 200kms into bhubaneshwar and first 300kms from Bangalore to Naidupet(via Tirupati). If you take the chennai route then its 4-lane from Bangalore to Naidupet. You would spend 1-1.5 hour more on this route though.

So the point is you could very very easily do night drive on 4-lane roads. Just make sure you are not on the first 300kms or the last 200kms when its dark. Petrol pumps are in plenty. One good place you can stop for food is Mandakini food plaza. This place is just a km before the Nellore Toll plaza, on the other side of the road if going from Bangalore.

This is actually the A1 plaza being acquired by these guys.

P.S. : Marriage does improve the quality of food intake.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:30   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Excellent travelogue!

Dear pkumar, Excellent travelogue and enjoying thoroughly reading it. I also belong to nearby place from Bokaro. Infact my brother stayed in Bokaro (Sector IV D and Sector V) for several years now he got transferred to other SAIL.

In one of your post you mentioned Chas to Chandil road is good now. Few years back that road was horrible as I used to drive from Giridih - Dhanbad - Chas - Purulia- Chandil-Jamshedpur.

Nice to know that road is imporved now otherwise we used to take big detour from Jamshedpur to Giridih via Ranchi - Ramgarh - Hazaribagh - Dumri.

Enjoying alot.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:14   #114
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Kumar Sir where is today's quota of the pictures ?
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:22   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Thanks devdath.
Finally we have the intrepid pair together. Waiting for the rest of it.

And yes, Tejas is not going anywhere.... He just keeps asking...
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:56   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Dear pkumar, Excellent travelogue and enjoying thoroughly reading it. I also belong to nearby place from Bokaro. Infact my brother stayed in Bokaro (Sector IV D and Sector V) for several years now he got transferred to other SAIL.

In one of your post you mentioned Chas to Chandil road is good now. Few years back that road was horrible as I used to drive from Giridih - Dhanbad - Chas - Purulia- Chandil-Jamshedpur.

Nice to know that road is imporved now otherwise we used to take big detour from Jamshedpur to Giridih via Ranchi - Ramgarh - Hazaribagh - Dumri.

Enjoying alot.
The roads from Jamshedpur to Ghatshila is a bit patchy, but nevertheless ok. From there to Chandil is very good surface now. Bokaro to Purulia has been good for at least last 8-9 years i have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Kumar Sir where is today's quota of the pictures ?
It would be there by evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Finally we have the intrepid pair together. Waiting for the rest of it.
And yes, Tejas is not going anywhere.... He just keeps asking...
Tejas, comment please !!
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:18   #117
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Tejas, comment please !!
I think that pkumar knows me for a long time and he knows what I used to do earlier. I have sobered down in the last few months and I have not been able to travel a lot off late because of some constraints. Last Dec, I had to drop a car from Chennai to Kanpur but for some reason that too didn't materialize after. Hoping to go some where at least on this weekend and in Dec.
@Dev: from 28th Sept to 4th Oct, I am out on a bike ride. Haven't decided the route but will go wherever the bike takes me.

@pkumar: Seriously the earlier workplace was better man. It is difficult to get one off here. I will get back to my old form the moment I start feeling claustrophobic.
How is the road from Delhi-Kanpur? I remember that there were a lot of diversions about an yr and a half back.

tejas
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:25   #118
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
How is the road from Delhi-Kanpur? I remember that there were a lot of diversions about an yr and a half back.

tejas
It is breeze. pure 4-lane fun with absolutely no hassles.
I did it in 7 hours, one can try for 6.
Exit Delhi early enough. few signals on the Agra bypass.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:40   #119
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
It is breeze. pure 4-lane fun with absolutely no hassles.
I did it in 7 hours, one can try for 6.
Exit Delhi early enough. few signals on the Agra bypass.
I did it 6 but that was in the night and didn't have much traffic (I started at 1 AM and reach knp at 7 AM). I had to be careful after the first diversion! Was doing 150 and saw the diversion just about it time. after that it was only 110-120 till knp. Very neat roads except for some patches.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:41   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jammu
Posts: 83
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Thanks devdath.



Attachment 190937
Very nicely framed! Lovely photograph.
Indizen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Useful tips on the Golden Quadrilateral tigerranch Route / Travel Queries 37 9th October 2017 23:38
Golden Quadrilateral in 2011 Rajesh1968 Route / Travel Queries 28 1st December 2016 18:33
GQ Run II (Golden Quadrilateral Run II) arindamray Travelogues 327 6th August 2013 00:00
Well Well Well keralshobhit Introduce yourself 2 30th May 2009 15:50
Golden Quadrilateral /PAN India "T-BHP Relay Meet" khan_sultan The Team-BHP Meet Section 356 9th April 2009 13:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks