Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th September 2009, 14:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Lovely travelogue, I bet this is the first time that this section has a plant visit report. I am sure a lot of people (including me) are envying your!

Nice of you to share the information with us, gives us an idea of what is in store for us from Fiat. Those new engines in the Punto / Linea sound good.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
X1 will come with the 1.3 FGT engine along with the 1.4 FIRE engine.
A shame really. I got interested unnecessarily. As comments in another thread mentioned that it would be launched with the 90 BHP engine.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good to know about your trip. The most exiting part of your report is the fact about the new engines. I am hoping that they put in those engines in Linea and Punto pretty quickly.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Was the speedometer cluster in the centre or right side for the X1?
It was on the right side. I was not allowed to get into the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats Krishna for making it to the Fiat factory!
Some of us from PUG were planning to visit, but yet to be materialized...

Did you click any pics? If so, pls do share.
No Pics. They had informed me earlier that they would not allow photography inside their premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Lovely travelogue, I bet this is the first time that this section has a plant visit report. I am sure a lot of people (including me) are envying your!

Nice of you to share the information with us, gives us an idea of what is in store for us from Fiat. Those new engines in the Punto / Linea sound good.

Cheers,
Indeed, they are actually planning real big to make this their hub for Asia. They are indeed striving for localization of engine parts like the Crankshaft. Probable supplier being Bharat Forge. However they are on still with talks with the vendors. No engine castings are made here, they are imported from Italy. The engine machining line is very good, every step is planned in such a way that the robots wont pick up the part of the engine which does not meet the required dimensions. That was some view to see them actually making those engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Add six speed gear and a dualogic box in the wishlist.
Oops! I was thinking I had missed something. This is the one, forgot to ask them about the automatic gearbox/dual logic gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Good to know about your trip. The most exiting part of your report is the fact about the new engines. I am hoping that they put in those engines in Linea and Punto pretty quickly.
Do not expect those engines in the next six months. This might happen sometime after 1st quarter next year.

And Also Bravo wont be launched any time soon. They have imported 4 cars, one is used by the CEO, 2 are in the factory and no idea about the other. But Bravo is too good a car. Damn i was not allowed to take pics of that car too. Lovely alloys it had.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:46   #20
BHPian

nkrishnap, Nice report,the falls picture is looking excellent, your car looks stunning next to the greenery, since you drove all the way to the Fiat factory, in your Fiat, did they give you any freebies.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

1.4 Turbo petrol has two options (not counting Multi-Air that is). A 120 bhp and a 150 bhp option. What engine specs is Fiat planning to release it with? Similarly the 1.6 JTD has 105 bhp and 120 bhp engines. Any idea?
Old 10th September 2009, 16:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1.4 Turbo petrol has two options (not counting Multi-Air that is). A 120 bhp and a 150 bhp option. What engine specs is Fiat planning to release it with? Similarly the 1.6 JTD has 105 bhp and 120 bhp engines. Any idea?
I asked them what state of tune these engine were, They did not reveal the same.

I would bet the 1.4T-Jet with 120 bhp and 1.6 MJD with VGT 120 bhp.

You never know what to expect of them.

Also forgot to mention, they have a small parts warehouse inside the plant for consumption at the site as well as the spares.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I asked them what state of tune these engine were, They did not reveal the same.

I would bet the 1.4T-Jet with 120 bhp and 1.6 MJD with VGT 120 bhp.

You never know what to expect of them.

Also forgot to mention, they have a small parts warehouse inside the plant for consumption at the site as well as the spares.
So did u happen to manage any spares for ur palio
The most interesting part of ur visit in my opinion is the Engines info.. I am waiting for the 1.6MJD now !!!
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:44   #24
BHPian

@nkrishnap
Nice pics. I liked the picture in which you have kept all the doors of your Palio open. It looks as if the car will change in "bumblebee" (like the movie Transformers)
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:36   #25
BHPian

Great Information nkrishnap, i will now hold on my plans for the Punto i will wait for the FGT now..!!
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
@nkrishnap
Nice pics. I liked the picture in which you have kept all the doors of your Palio open. It looks as if the car will change in "bumblebee" (like the movie Transformers)
I had my companions getting out of the car, asked them leave the door open. Opened the boot to add some spice
Old 11th September 2009, 12:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
i will wait for the FGT now..!!
You mean, VGT? FGT is already there.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You mean, VGT? FGT is already there.

Oops..!! my mistake, i meant VGT

Thanks for the correction.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 17:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

1.4T-Jet sounds delicious . On the other hand 1.6MJD (or is it JTD) sounds good. I guess, if they launch, I will have to decide by which is quicker.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 20:46   #30
BANNED

If Fiat, if at all it is thinking of bringing 1.6 MJD within this year 2009 itself, then IMO it'll be a mistake. Recipe for disaster for Fiat.

IMO, for Fiat, the best timing to launch these engines in Linea/ Punto is mid-2010.

Bringing it in 2009 is against Fiat's own strategy. Its strategy simply looks to be - load the car with features/ equipments comparable to almost Civic or higher segment, plonk in an engine which is more than adequate to extract good FE & keep the Price low & sell the car (with features/ equipments comparable to D or C+ segment cars like Civic) at an SX4 price. With this positioning, its still selling uner-1000 Lineas pm which needs to go up. All these go for a toss by plonking in 1.6 engines, even the positioning goes for a toss. This can be done only in mid-2010 after Linea/ Punto stabilises strongly & forms a very strong perception in the market which is hard to change.

Last edited by VahanPujari : 11th September 2009 at 20:48.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote