pics attached have fun

cheers,
ac
Attached Images

ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 5 more pics

exhausted the quote of 30, hence in a new reply.

cheers,
ac
Attached Images

Old 22nd September 2009, 10:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
Now that Lordofgondor mentions it, please do try to visit Sangla. You can stay at the lovely Banjara Camps and I assure you it will not be regretted.
yeah we missed sangla, but i am so smitten by Himachal i have promised myself that i will spend atleast 15 days a year in this beautiful land.

cheers,
ac
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
yeah we missed sangla, but i am so smitten by Himachal i have promised myself that i will spend atleast 15 days a year in this beautiful land.
Hey AC. Great photos and a beautiful travelogue. Thanks for keeping us updated. Now looking forward for Kaza, Tabo...
Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 6 - Kalpa - Pooh - Nako

Day 6 Kalpa - Pooh - Nako.

Day 6 began on an absolutely postive note.

We were up by 6.00 a.m the chill in the air was superb and we were sleeping in a tent .

The view from our tent was of Kinner Kailash. I took a bath, went out sat on a rock and started meditating. The feeling of the morning Sun on your skin is something else... this feeling cant be replicated anywhere else.

We had our breakfast, yummy aloo paranthas with LOTS of butter on it, packed up and said our good byes to the really warm team at the chine valley camp.

The drive from Kalp to Nako was supposed to be a 4 or max 5 hour drive. We started @ 8 a.m, and started our descent from Kalpa. Btw from Reckong Peo I picked up really cool and sturdy army boots. We tanked up as the next place where one can get fuel is only at KAZA which is around 200 KM and we did not want to take a chance of running out of Fuel. So we started the drive, and just about 40 km before Pooh, we got stuck up in the middle of explosions. Not the type you are thinking about, but explosions to clear the roads, and we had to wait a good hour and a half till the roads got clear. En route we gave lifts to 3 gentle men.

One of them was a retired army commandant, who was a HUGe shiv bhakt, he sung a few shiv bhakti bhajans which he had penned himself, the 2nd gentle man wegave a lift was a well read person about religion, who had his point of view on youngsters and their self destuctive way of life. He said we drink too much and indulge in all the wrong things We had an interesting discussion for around an hour, the third gentleman was a man who was trying to enlist himself with the home land security.

I am writing about this to tell you guys that giving a lift in himachal specially in these areas is aboslutely safe.

The road condtions went from bad to horrible to absoutely terrifying. I consider myself a decent driver, but there will patches of roads on which i literally said a prayer before i carried on, specially a patch where there was NO road, just rocks and to the left was sheer drop into the sutlej. The drive Nangia to Nako is breathtaking in all the possible ways, breathtaking because it is so beautifull and so because its so scary. THe magic about this trip is in 3 hours the vegetation changes from Lush green to barren dry. THe roads just open up wide wide expanses.

The beauty of this drive cannot be written down even by the best poets, it has to be seen to believe it. We reached nako at 4.00 p.m and put up in a guest house. Mind you Nako is a bit steep in pricing, there is this Kinner valley resort which provides good food but prices which are similar to mumbai, i suggest you look for this place called Tibetan Food Place. Warm people good food and quick service.

Day 6 we were exhausted from the drive and we ended the day early at around 8.45 we crashed.

Day 7 we planned to spend at Nako. By the way we got news that roads up ahead are blocked and hence we plann to stay at nako.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 6 pics

Day 6 pics : Part i

cheers,
ac
Attached Images

Old 22nd September 2009, 17:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 6 - Pictures : Part II

day 6 pics part II:

enjoy.

cheers,
ac
Attached Images

Old 22nd September 2009, 20:16   #38
BHPian

Great description. It is amazing how your language and feelings are gaining so much depth and warmth.
Your little incident with the hitch-hikers reminded of my time when I gave lift to a man in the same parts once. The gentleman looked perfectly clean and nice, until he was well seated in the back seat. In no time we had this horrible smell as if we were in the most ill-kept of animal pens. Apparently, the locals in these parts do not wash their clothes very often (and someone told me their baths also have a fair bit of time gap between occurrences).

Once we had the guy dropped off at the place of his choice we were greatly relieved and pledged to be careful with our charity. Soon after we saw a very cute schoolboy asking for lift. After careful thought we let him in thinking that a school boy would be clean. Guess what. He smelled even more.

Moral of the story: people are honest and loving but their ideas of hygiene and cleanliness are very different. LOL
Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

LOL!! thats quite hilarious...yeah, this whole trip has been a revelation of sorts...about everything, the place, the people, the food...i guess the language and feelings are a result of the beautiful surroundings!! keep checking for more pics and reports..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
Great description. It is amazing how your language and feelings are gaining so much depth and warmth.
Your little incident with the hitch-hikers reminded of my time when I gave lift to a man in the same parts once. The gentleman looked perfectly clean and nice, until he was well seated in the back seat. In no time we had this horrible smell as if we were in the most ill-kept of animal pens. Apparently, the locals in these parts do not wash their clothes very often (and someone told me their baths also have a fair bit of time gap between occurrences).

Once we had the guy dropped off at the place of his choice we were greatly relieved and pledged to be careful with our charity. Soon after we saw a very cute schoolboy asking for lift. After careful thought we let him in thinking that a school boy would be clean. Guess what. He smelled even more.

Moral of the story: people are honest and loving but their ideas of hygiene and cleanliness are very different. LOL
Old 29th September 2009, 09:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am back to our good old 'Slumbay' oops i mean Bombay ooops i mean Mumbai. tons of work to catch up with will upload rest of pics and travel details by evening today or tomm.

cheers,
ac
Old 29th September 2009, 09:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that youve successfully completed your trip. Do post about the road conditions from Lossar to Rohtang. Im damn interested in finding out. Did you visit Chandertal?
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 10:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Good to know that youve successfully completed your trip. Do post about the road conditions from Lossar to Rohtang. Im damn interested in finding out. Did you visit Chandertal?
chandertal was missed, the road from lossar to kuzum is amazing, nice drive with SNOW , but the roads from Rohtang to manali is by far the worse road i have seen in my life. there are sections with bad roads, very bad roads and then finally NO roads.

Highly avoidable. Do if if you have a SUV Only. We had no problems as we were in the scorpio.

we saw cars with broken axels on those roads.

cheers,
ac
Old 29th September 2009, 15:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 7 - ONly NAKO.

Day 7 Nako.

A place of historic beauty. Day 7 we had to spend at nako as the road that was going ahead to Nako and Kaza was washed away in the rains. So we decided to make the most of it. We go in touch with the local guide and started sight seeing of this lovely town.

Anyways I do have to mention about this Austrian couple (60 years old) who we met, they were going to do the whole of himachal on cycles. Yeah you read it correctly on CYCLES. I've attached a few pics of the couple too here. They had already done around 1000 KM in himachal and were headed backwards towards narkanada. Anyways we were staying at this Kinner Klub guest house (Rs 600 a day), we found it pretty steep, so if anyone going to Nako village you are better off staying at the 'HOme stays', they will charge you only Rs 250/- a day.

Nako is a village of great mythological stories and great history, even they hvae a monstary which is around a 1000 years old. Also there is a village on top of this mountain village, and its beauty is something extra ordinary. Pics might do 1 % justice to the real beauty of the village.

We started our guided tour and it was all normal till the point where we reached the monastary, the Lama there on our request opened up a book which was around 1000 years old, pics attached too of those. IT was a privilege to touch, feel and experience these holy scriptures which were hand written and now are around 1000 years old.

It was a non eventfull day and for the 1st time we did not start the Scorpio. I kinda missed it, as it was becoming a way of living for us

Pics attached.

cheers
ac
Old 29th September 2009, 15:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 7 - Nako Pics

check pics of this lovely place called NAKO.
Attached Images

Old 30th September 2009, 09:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 8 - nako - Tabo - Kaza

Day 8 - Drive through Nako - Tabo - Kaza.

Day 8 we started our drive with the optimism that the roads will be fine, as we had got local info. that the roads will be up and running by around 9.30. so we trugged along and were waiting in the jam for the roads to open up.

This is when we realized that what we had set out to do was very difficult and really required luck.

We were standing the in traffic jam (at 3700 meters) the road was almost done, but another landslide came and messed up the whole road.

THen the guys decided to use real power, they brought in the detonators, and blew the rocks from the road and then started building the road again. That was a SIGHT to be seen. The road was being MADE before our own eyes at 3700 meters.

We started driving very precariously, as the width of the road was just 2 inches more than the scorpio. phew that was a drive, have a look at the pics, they will explain the same.

Anywyas we continued to Tabo, the drive was non - eventfull drive with tarmac being present for the rest of the road. When we reached tabo we were in for a surprise, i expected a village with NO facilities, but here was a vilage that was serving Continental food too (tells how many foreign tourists come here, btw no israiles here these are genuine tourists who love india for its beuty and not for its cheap and good quality weed)

BTW in he 2 days we were at NAKO, our folks back in bombay had got terribly worried as we could not contact them at all. Our cell phones were not working and the STD line was down. So in the 2 days we had not contacted our parents, they had contacted the following
  1. Himachal Police
  2. Himachal Army head
  3. Himachal Times
  4. All the adventure groups
  5. All the Army posts
And when we called them as we reached Tabo, (we borrowed someone elses phone) we got the firing of our lifetimes with threats as severs as NO MORE ROAD TRIPSS !!!

Back to the story : Tabo is a place which has a 1000 year old monastory and is very scenic in a dry kinda way.

We did not stay long at tabo and continued to Kaza. Kaza is the last filling station on this road all the way up to manali, and to our bad luck because of the roads being wiped out the petrol pump had no fuel. We were on Half, and we had to do 210 kms to manali, we decided to gamble, and continued. We just got 5 litres of emergency fuel becase we begged/requested / threatened the fuel pump operator.

We set off for manali the next day. Anywyas in kaza there is this little bakery that serves Tibetan bread that is AMAZING, we are told that it is amazing, again to our bad luck we could not even eat that as the place was closed.

This is a good place to sit and think about your life, future, present past. This place makes you think.

Anwysy in short :
1) Cell phones dont work at Nako
2) STD lines are perpetually down.
3) only BSNL works in these areas

Cheers
AC