Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 02:16   #76
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
whoa! i am looking at something around 1/3 the price :-( Any options?
There is a recently opened hotel(<2yrs) just diagonally opposite to Cenneys gateway. It is actually the first one to your left when you enter the road towards Cenneys gateway from 5roads junction. I'm sorry I dont exactly remember the name but the stay was pretty comfy, safe and a very good vegetarian restaurant. I'll see if I can find out the name.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 02:33   #77
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
whoa! i am looking at something around 1/3 the price :-( Any options?
Ok, I found it, it is Hotel Devi towers. hotel devi towerrs (Note the double 'r', numerology or domain availability issues? not sure!). Looks like this may not be 1/3 but 1/2 the price of Cenneys.

Alternatively, have a look at this link - http://www.srigokulamhospitals.com/C...l%20Tarrif.pdf
for other choices.

There is also a newly come up hotel in Perundurai just off the highway. Its called Hotel Chennis. Not sure about the accomodation here, but considering the fact that it is new, it should be okay. This part of the state is safe as I hail from Erode.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 14:02   #78
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
hyper-VTEC, Bangalore to Munnar can be easily done in 10hrs. As you see, on my roadtrip I left bangalore by 7:30AM and reached Munnar by 5:00PM. Inspite of numerous breaks and also rains in the Ghats nearing Munnar. You can actually leave Bangalore by 5:00PM and even with 50kmph average you will be in Munnar by max 3-4PM. Again, if its going to be too tiring I would suggest Ampere's plan.

EDIT: Munnar during rains is the most beautiful....
Hey DD great travelogue man !!! Its as if i was visiting the place. Too good..

Let me know, i have a wagon-R, and would u think that i can make the full journey from BLR to Munnar in a day's time, say leave around 5 AM and reach before nightfall.

I will now start to plan for my visit sometime around June -July( heavy rains ??) Hope you don't mind if i get back to you for some further info regarding the road, stay etc.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:03   #79
BHPian
 
dreamdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hey DD great travelogue man !!! Its as if i was visiting the place. Too good..

Let me know, i have a wagon-R, and would u think that i can make the full journey from BLR to Munnar in a day's time, say leave around 5 AM and reach before nightfall.

I will now start to plan for my visit sometime around June -July( heavy rains ??) Hope you don't mind if i get back to you for some further info regarding the road, stay etc.
Thanks Rajesh. As pointed out by most of them, Bangalore - Munnar easily doable in a days time. Roads in Tamilnadu are very good. June - July is midst of monsoon. Till Sep 30th its off-season. Less crowd and hotels offering pretty good discounts on room tariffs. When I was there last July it used to rain and then stop at regular intervals. We were well prepared with waterproof jackets and umbrellas. The place is absoultely magical in monsoons with numerous waterfalls all around the hills.

Sure, eager to help you with all the info for your Munnar trip. Planning Thekkady too?
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:54   #80
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Thanks Rajesh. As pointed out by most of them, Bangalore - Munnar easily doable in a days time. Roads in Tamilnadu are very good. June - July is midst of monsoon. Till Sep 30th its off-season. Less crowd and hotels offering pretty good discounts on room tariffs. When I was there last July it used to rain and then stop at regular intervals. We were well prepared with waterproof jackets and umbrellas. The place is absoultely magical in monsoons with numerous waterfalls all around the hills.

Sure, eager to help you with all the info for your Munnar trip. Planning Thekkady too?
Definitely planning to do Thekkady, if time & office permits me to do so. I was wondering if i should do this trip in monsoon as you did or wait for the rains to get over and go sometime in October. We do not want to do the driving part in hot & humid weather, so rains would be a better option i suppose..

I agree with you that the place is indeed magical during rains. Your photos says it all man.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:43   #81
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Definitely planning to do Thekkady, if time & office permits me to do so. I was wondering if i should do this trip in monsoon as you did or wait for the rains to get over and go sometime in October. We do not want to do the driving part in hot & humid weather, so rains would be a better option i suppose..

I agree with you that the place is indeed magical during rains. Your photos says it all man.
DD one more thing, If i want to do only BLR-Munnar-Thekkady & back to BLR which will be the route to be taken from Thekkady back to BLR. Is it only via Munnar or is there any other better route & what is the distance from Thekkady to BLR ?

Let me know the above
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 01:36   #82
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
DD one more thing, If i want to do only BLR-Munnar-Thekkady & back to BLR which will be the route to be taken from Thekkady back to BLR. Is it only via Munnar or is there any other better route & what is the distance from Thekkady to BLR ?

Let me know the above
@DD let me take the liberty in answering this question of Rajesh.

@Rajesh - You dont have to go back to Munnar. The ideal route IMHO will be:

Thekkady(Kumily)-Cumbum-Theni-Periyakulam-Batlagundu-Dindigul-Karur-Namakkal-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore.

You get onto ultra smooth NH7 at Dindigul and before you know it, you will be in Bangalore! The roads from Kumily to Dindigul are also pretty good except that they are two lanes.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 11:21   #83
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@DD let me take the liberty in answering this question of Rajesh.

@Rajesh - You dont have to go back to Munnar. The ideal route IMHO will be:

Thekkady(Kumily)-Cumbum-Theni-Periyakulam-Batlagundu-Dindigul-Karur-Namakkal-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore.

You get onto ultra smooth NH7 at Dindigul and before you know it, you will be in Bangalore! The roads from Kumily to Dindigul are also pretty good except that they are two lanes.
There are mainly three main ways to come back to Bangalore from Kerala.

- One is NH7 which you hop on it either at Dindigul or any other place.
- The second is through NH47 which goes right through Kerala
- The third one is through north Kerala via Waynad or through Ooty via Nilambur.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 13:18   #84
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Many thanks luvurride and ampere for the inputs. I am planning for a monsoon visit, so still some time available to plan.

Will get back to you guys and DD for more inputs. I had a plan of going to Kodai this weekend, but due to some last minute urgent official commitments, had to cancel the same.

so, planning to compensate for the Kodai's loss with a trip to Munnar. Do you guys think will it be a bad idea to go to Munnar in the monsoon ? Will too much rain hamper our movements and sightseeing sojourns ?
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 13:25   #85
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Many thanks luvurride and ampere for the inputs. I am planning for a monsoon visit, so still some time available to plan.

Will get back to you guys and DD for more inputs. I had a plan of going to Kodai this weekend, but due to some last minute urgent official commitments, had to cancel the same.

so, planning to compensate for the Kodai's loss with a trip to Munnar. Do you guys think will it be a bad idea to go to Munnar in the monsoon ? Will too much rain hamper our movements and sightseeing sojourns ?
Plan for sometime in Dec first week or November end. That way you get good rates (post diwali , pre-Xmas, monsoon packages, may be on). PLUS since rains are almost over, you will see the place in full glory.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 14:31   #86
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@DD let me take the liberty in answering this question of Rajesh.

@Rajesh - You dont have to go back to Munnar. The ideal route IMHO will be:

Thekkady(Kumily)-Cumbum-Theni-Periyakulam-Batlagundu-Dindigul-Karur-Namakkal-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore.

You get onto ultra smooth NH7 at Dindigul and before you know it, you will be in Bangalore! The roads from Kumily to Dindigul are also pretty good except that they are two lanes.
What would be the distance between Kumily and dindigul ? Later on i can take the NH7 from Dindigul to BLR as you suggested
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 17:14   #87
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
What would be the distance between Kumily and dindigul ? Later on i can take the NH7 from Dindigul to BLR as you suggested
It is 140 kms and a good scenic route with green paddy fields keeping you company.

Also monsoons in Munnar are enjoyable too. You just have to be prepared for it with proper rain gear and also drive carefully. I have been there on both occasions and enjoyed thoroughly what mother nature had to offer bountifully!
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 19:44   #88
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
It is 140 kms and a good scenic route with green paddy fields keeping you company.

Also monsoons in Munnar are enjoyable too. You just have to be prepared for it with proper rain gear and also drive carefully. I have been there on both occasions and enjoyed thoroughly what mother nature had to offer bountifully!
And how is the condition of the road from Kumily to Dindigul ( 140 km stretch) ? can it be covered in around around 3 hrs?
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 23:46   #89
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
And how is the condition of the road from Kumily to Dindigul ( 140 km stretch) ? can it be covered in around around 3 hrs?
Yes it is pretty decent and 3 hours should be sufficient.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 12:32   #90
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are mainly three main ways to come back to Bangalore from Kerala.

- One is NH7 which you hop on it either at Dindigul or any other place.
- The second is through NH47 which goes right through Kerala
- The third one is through north Kerala via Waynad or through Ooty via Nilambur.
You have mentioned 3 routes from Thekkady ( Kumily) to BLR. Now, the first one is thro' Dindigul and is a well used one. Can u please let me know the route directions / distances of the other two routes.
How is the road condition thro' Wayanad / Ooty / Nilambur & also the distance ?
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kochi - Goa - Hubli - Bangalore - Kochi : Route Queries MilesAndSmiles Route / Travel Queries 41 10th November 2015 16:16
Bangalore to Munnar & Thekkady Bakash4u Travelogues 13 7th June 2015 17:19
Thekkady & Munnar In A Rainy Season Mysticeyes Travelogues 37 19th September 2011 22:44
Kochi-Kodaikanal-Thekkady: Suggestions Please NutsNBolts Route / Travel Queries 17 11th April 2010 22:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks