Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd September 2009, 17:33   #1
BHPian

Default Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad

Its been one year since I came to Hyderabad and was dying to go for a long drive week-end trip.
After a long discussion and reading, short listed Nagarjuna Sagar Dam as the destination. Since I wanted to spend a night there, I thought of roping in some of the colleague, and asked my team buddy to join me with his family. So it was me, my wife, my buddy and his wife.
We booked 2 AC deluxe rooms at the APTDC resort for Rs.3600 (plus taxes).

Day 1 (12th September 2009)

Left Miyapur around 7:30 am to pick my colleague from St. John's Church in Secundrabad, Picked him up and then went ahead towards Uppal, where enroute filled the diesel and reset the trip meter.
The journey was city-driving till we left the city and reached the highway.
Overall the roads are good and one can easily maintain 100+ on the speedo but for me 100 kmph was max because of the unguided missiles on the road (bikers coming out of no where, buffaloes, goats, etc.)
Enroute I stopped at a temple dedicated to Sai Baba for my wife to visit (she likes temples a lot, but me being completely a nature worshipper ).

We reached the resort at around 11.30 am and then we straightaway went to check-in, the resort is very well built but lack of maintenance is very evident (will share pics at the end of the post), our room had a split AC but it was hardly cooling, we thought that we would complain later and it never happened. So if anyone stays there please ensure that the AC is working. The TV had a DishTV connection, this too had very less channels.

When we started from Hyderabad the weather was nice and it was raining everyday, but upon reaching Sagar, it was bone dry and very hot.

After freshening up we thought of ordering some tea, dialed kitchen number from the intercom, asked for tea, pat came the reply "Saar, tea only in morning and evening", I asked whether you dont room serve it at this time or its not available, the reply was that its un-available..VERY STRANGE for a tourist spot.

With an initial bad experience we moved towards the in house "restaurant" for lunch, the only option was for the buffet @ Rs. 110 per plate, considering the items it was very expensive, we ordered chicken curry and fish fry as side dish (charged extra). The chicken curry was the hottest (loaded with red chilli powder) thing ever to burn my tongue. And it was the first time in life I left a non-vegitarian dish untouched.

After the lunch assault we retired to our rooms and caught some sleep. In the evening we had to chose from fishing in the reservoir or visit Ethipothla waterfalls (12 kms from sagar), we chose the waterafalls since fishing required a local guide who was booked for the next day.

Ethipothala drive was the best, good road and shrubby forest on both sides of the road,

Ethipothala falls can be accessed from two sides - one is safer with Rs.15 entry tickets

(to be continued...)
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad-img_0970.jpg  

Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad-img_0971.jpg  

Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad-img_0974.jpg  

rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Rajat, nice begining of your trip to Nsagar. TBHP Hyderabad group has done this destination scores of times and we usually do a day trip since there is nothing much to do there. I assume you stayed at Vijay Vihar.

If yes, i am surprised they charged Rs.110/head for the buffet since it is Rs.65/head. Their fish fry is really good and we usually have lunch there.
Ethipothala Falls is the only saving grace but again good only for an hour or so. Also, did you visit the island meuseum? It's not much but good for just a dekko.

Here is my travelogue on the same destination and if you do a search you will find several hyderabad tbhp drive meets to Nsagar.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-parks-3.html (PhotoBlog--Nagarjunsagar Dam & Hyderabad Parks)

Look forward to more pictures
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hey Rajath,

Nice travelogue! U still in Hyderabad I thought you might have reached Delhi by now any ways. This place particularly brings back a lot of memories, good as well as Bad, Ok more of bad memories. I have lost 2 Esteems on this road. One was my friends and one mine during separate trips, the roads are very dangerous. the usage of unguided missile was perfect match. The service at the APTDC hotel is not so great. There is a bar attached to this hotel and the bartender left for a good 1 hour break with only me and my team members left in the Bar, we helped ourselves. This place needs to grow, has a lot of potential. If you are a nature worshipper try Srisalem and Ananthagiri. Srisailem has a famous lord Shiva temple and is better to be avoided on Mondays. Anannthagiri has a small hill station and does not have any proper place to stay so go there for a day trip preferably if you love hiking nice place for beginners

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 17:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
One was my friends and one mine during separate trips, the roads are very dangerous. the usage of unguided missile was perfect match.
Nah ! they are not that dangerous if you keep a keen eye out. Some of us touched 170kmph-180kmph on that double lane road during the tbhp drive meets since the visibility is pretty high and you can see much far ahead.

And, yes a few of us did get some suprises from these un-guided missiles.

But, thankfully nothing went wrong
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 17:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Teaser posted one day ago! Where is the rest of the travelogue?
Avi, Shhh... Don't let out our secrets! LOL.
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 22:18   #6
BHPian

Sorry guys...was not well, hence the delay...

Ethipothala falls were good and people despite many warning signs were busy taking a bath at the base of the falls, however we didn't go to the base, just enjoyed the falls from the view point. Had snacks at the not to great cafe there and headed back to the resort.

Met the receptionist and booked a guide for the next day

Had early dinner and beer upon return and its better I say less about the room service (I don't want to get abusive on a public forum)

Day 2 (13th September 2009)

It was blistering hot and no one was interested in for a boat ride to the Nagarjuna Konda (where the museum is) so we decided to go fishing, which again was a bad decision.

The guide took us behind the resort where a series of steps led to the reservoir section, first it was a tiring journey of 15 minutes, though I am used to hiking, but the hot sun combined with the humidity was making things worse and I can imagine the other people in my group since they rarely do any physical exercise.

The terrain was like from some other planet and I have never seen rocks jutting out at 90 degrees, it was as if someone put the rocks in that manner, though I confirmed with the guide that they are natural formations

Anyways, I casted my line there 4 times and 3 times the hooks got entangled in the under water rocks and 1 time the fishes were clever enough to pick the bait without hooking up.

I casted for around 1 hour and then the patience of everyone else around me ran out and we had to call it a day.

Major lesson learned....NEVER GO FISHING WITH FRIENDS OR WIFE

When we reached the top everyone was sun burnt and thirsty,

We started back for Hyderabad at around 12 noon and reached around 3.30 pm

Total Distance Covered - 330 kms
Total Fuel Used - 15 Lts
Average - 22 kmpl
Top Speed Achieved - 110 kmph
Average Speed - 70 kmph
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad-dsc05036.jpg  

Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad-dsc05076.jpg  

Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad-dsc05082.jpg