Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th May 2013, 03:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Kolakata to Gopalpur-on-Sea : a Long Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin2323 View Post

For day 1 and day 7 what are the suggested lunch stops?

1. The difference is petrol price is a whooping Rs 8.00 per lit between WB & Odisha, Odisha being in the cheaper side. Can the BHPians suggest a good petrol bunk near Odisha border en route?

Regards

Arin
For day 1 and day 7 you can consider hotel Orion at Bhadrak for proper lunch break. They have nice ac restaurant with nice food and rest rooms. While going towards Puri from Kolkata it will fall on the right hand side of the highway around Bhadrak city. Its approximately 300kms from Kolkata.

For petrol bunks you will get many around Jaleshwar border on NH60, but i trust the HP bunk at Balasore few km's after the toll booth on the way to Puri from Kolkata.

One thing i want to tell you, personally i would prefer to stay at Rambha rather than Barkul/Chilka. You can check out the OTDC guest house over there. Its really nice with some awesome view.

Last edited by Samba : 14th May 2013 at 03:05.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 07:32   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Gopalpur is a place to relax, so overspending of time depends on you. The only worth while place nearby is the Taptapani hot springs about 60-70kms away.

If you do spend only one day in Gopalpur, you can use the extra day to visit Konark and take time on the Chandrabhaga beach. Or you can spend a night in Bhubaneswar and take in its sights. Do not spend any extra time in Barkul, as the time of your travel is too early for any bird spotting in Chilika anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
For day 1 and day 7 you can consider hotel Orion at Bhadrak for proper lunch break. They have nice ac restaurant with nice food and rest rooms. While going towards Puri from Kolkata it will fall on the right hand side of the highway around Bhadrak city. Its approximately 300kms from Kolkata.

For petrol bunks you will get many around Jaleshwar border on NH60, but i trust the HP bunk at Balasore few km's after the toll booth on the way to Puri from Kolkata.

One thing i want to tell you, personally i would prefer to stay at Rambha rather than Barkul/Chilka. You can check out the OTDC guest house over there. Its really nice with some awesome view.
Both the points noted, perhaps we would like to stay back one more night in puri and try to cover Konark - Chandrabhaga beach. But the plan as goes of now , we may not visit Taptapani, as it would be a bit tiring for the eldest and youngest members of the group (76 Yrs and 9 months respectively).

Also planning to change the place of stay to Rambha instead of Barkul in the return leg as suggested by Samba.

Quote:
By-passing Bhubaneswar using the Pitapaill-Chandaka-Baranga-Gopalpur route is worth it.
What is the exact advantage? Short Kms or Less Traffic? I am interested to know in detail about this route, please share a map if possible. If we can save some time on the return leg, it is always welcome.

Also came to know from a friend that construction work is going in full swing in the BBSR -uttara- Pipli stretch currently, so there is always terrible congestion all along the route. Can the BBSR based BHPians throw some light on this? If it happens to be true, then how much probable time is it going to take for completion?

Regards

Arin.
arin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 08:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
There are numerous ways to by-pass Cuttack town, but none which are worth while. By-passing Bhubaneswar using the Pitapaill-Chandaka-Baranga-Gopalpur route is worth it.
Are you talking about this route? This is what I got from a simple search in the Google map. Does it save time over our conventional route?
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 08:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the exact advantage? Short Kms or Less Traffic? I am interested to know in detail about this route, please share a map if possible. If we can save some time on the return leg, it is always welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Are you talking about this route? This is what I got from a simple search in the Google map. Does it save time over our conventional route?
This your normal route going right through Bhubaneswar city.

Name:  1.png
Views: 1363
Size:  248.7 KB

The By-pass route I was talking about is this.

Name:  2.png
Views: 1916
Size:  212.4 KB

This route doesnt save you much in the name of distance, but it will save you time. Like already mentioned, a large number of fly-overs are being built on the NH within the city, creating lots of traffic snarls. The NH between Bhubaneswar and Cuttack is also being expanded to 6-lanes, causing some traffic issues. With this route, you come out just before the Kathjori bridge before Cuttack city. This road was actually a by-pass built by the Bhubaneswar town authorities to encourage truckers to by-pass the city to decongest traffic inside the city. Its a relatively new two-lane road with very good surface.

The route may not always save you time, as time taken to cross Bhubaneswar depends on traffic and luck. But this route takes no extra distance, and is never busy, so will always get you there in quick time. Thus I always recommend it.

Quote:
Also came to know from a friend that construction work is going in full swing in the BBSR -uttara- Pipli stretch currently, so there is always terrible congestion all along the route. Can the BBSR based BHPians throw some light on this? If it happens to be true, then how much probable time is it going to take for completion?
The four-laning of the road between Bhubaneswar and Puri is scheduled to be completed middle of next year. So by the time you will travel you can expect lots of diversions and lots of complete sections as well. I imagine, the section between Bhubaneswar and Pipili along with Pipili by-pass to be almost fully complete by the time of your journey.

The road between Bhubaneswar and Puri can get pretty busy on days of religious importance, and during peak times ie, 8-11am and 5-8pm. As you will be leaving Kolkata early morning, you will pass Bhubaneswar around 1-2pm, and thus wont face much traffic between Bhubaneswar and Puri.

But if you still dont want to avoid the stretch, the following thread offers the best alternate option. But a warning, some stretches of this road too are under expansion and may have some bad sections post monsoon.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...s-detours.html (Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours)

On page 3 of the same thread, I highlighted the best routes to take through Bhubaneswar city while going towards Puri.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...detours-3.html (Kolkata -> Puri : Travelling Options & Detours)
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 12:32   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Day1: 19.10.2013 starting at 6:00 AM:

Kolkata-Kona Expressway -NH6 - Kolaghat - NH60 - Jaleswar Bypass - NH5 - Balasore - Cuttack - BBSR - Pipli - Konark - Puri. (Night Halt at Puri)

Day 2: 20.10.2013 starting at 9:30 AM:

Puri - Udaigiri - Khandagiri - Puri (Night Halt at Puri)
Why do you want to come back to Bhubaneswar? Anyway the Pipli bypass is completed now and you wont be facing any traffic till Puri. Diversions are plenty though.

Quote:
Day 3: 21.10.2013 starting at 8:30 AM :

Puri - NH203A - Satpada - Ferry - Krishnaprasad Island -Gopalpur (Night Halt at Gopalpur)
The ferry remains out of order some of the times. Please check just before your trip.

Quote:
Please let me know whether we are overstaying at Gopalpur, if yes how we can make effective use of 23.10.2013.
Gopalpur is not like Puri beach and the sea is now always very welcoming to go for bathing. But the beach is not crowded and relatively clean and as some one said before is good for relaxing. Taptapani now a days in not in a very good shape. You can try Tara Tarini temple (small ghat road) and Bhairabi temple which are near by. Also you can try visiting the Tibetan settlement and monastery.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 22:13   #36

Good information thanks. Planed on my Bolero on 1st Jun till 4th jun 2017. Itinerary 1st Jun Howrah To Panchalingeswar , 2nd Jun Panchalingeswar to Gopalpur, 3rd Jun stay at Gopalpur and sight scenes, 4 th Jun Return if required a night halt and back to Howrah on 5th.
T2luvroads is offline   Reply With Quote