Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th October 2009, 23:21   #166
akp
BHPian

First of all, thanks for sharing all this wonderful experience, for the travelogue as well as all the breathtaking pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Day 6, September 17th, 2009 Continued

Lamayuru - Nimmu - Magnetic Hill

We evaluated the slope, we evaluated every other thing which breaks the theory. But IT WORKS - IT JUST WORKS. You have to be there to feel it. Leave aside all inhibitions - try it with a logical and open mind. No words can describe the phenomenon. We had our scorpios pulled up the slope the normal way and also in reverse. The speeds of around 20kmph was attained in this pull.
About the magnetic hill, it is nothing unique -- there are several such places all over the world and the whole thing is apparently an optical illusion. Here are a few links:

Magnetic Hill (India) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gconnect Magnetic Hill Leh-Ladakh - Mystery Explained

Though it is difficult to say anything either for or against this theory of the hill attracting vehicles without actually being there and experiencing it, I would think that if the force is magnetic and is strong enough to make a scorpio go `uphill' at 20 kmph, then small metallic objects like safety-pins and such will just fly towards that direction. So it should not be difficult to check when one is there.
akp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 06:38   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
First of all, thanks for sharing all this wonderful experience, for the travelogue as well as all the breathtaking pictures.
Thanks akp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
About the magnetic hill, it is nothing unique -- there are several such places all over the world and the whole thing is apparently an optical illusion. Here are a few links:

Magnetic Hill (India) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gconnect Magnetic Hill Leh-Ladakh - Mystery Explained

Though it is difficult to say anything either for or against this theory of the hill attracting vehicles without actually being there and experiencing it, I would think that if the force is magnetic and is strong enough to make a scorpio go `uphill' at 20 kmph, then small metallic objects like safety-pins and such will just fly towards that direction. So it should not be difficult to check when one is there.
Is it? Then from the Box it must be sloping down on one side, which as far as we could see was not the case. What we saw was from the box it sloped on both sides, and water put on the road flew down and the vehicles got pulled up.

I do not want to debate on the topic. Probably you are correct, all the metal objects should have got pulled up.

But to a layman it worked. The experience was unique. Ultimately that is what matters

Last edited by laluks : 5th October 2009 at 06:47.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 10:12   #168
Senior - BHPian

Maintaining the Scorpio

On arrival in Leh, I attended to the following at Sonam Automobiles:
- broken leaf spring
- balancing rod bush and nuts

The next day, I visited the Lehling Nawang Auto Engineering, who is also the Maruti dealer for Leh. They are located near the Round on the road to Airport/Kargil.

- Tightened body bolts
- Checked and tightened engine and gear box foundations
- Replaced the link rod bush (was completely frayed)
- Dusted out Air Filter
- Replaced Oil Diesel filters
- Topped up engine oil and coolant, and checked clutch and differential oil levels
- Rotated tyres
- Cleaned brakes
- Checked shock absorbers
- Fixed handbrake cable abrasion (with the tyre)

I then went across to Bhat Sicker Point and had a new number plate made.

Service was very good, especially at Sonam and Lehling Nawang, and my regular ASC has a lot to learn from them in quick start to work and speedy execution of all tasks assigned to them.

But for the beating that it had taken in the Kargil-Padum-Kargil sector, the Scorpio was in good shape and ticking along well, and the Leh sojourn rejuvenated it totally.

Last edited by hvkumar : 5th October 2009 at 10:15.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 12:59   #169
Team-BHP Support

I think somebody tried with a rubber ball. Ball rolled the other way, the vehicle other
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 13:27   #170
BHPian

Wow! This is indeed a unique travelogue with lalu narrating the day's travel in a story like way with his numerous photos, Kumar saab's crisp narration which has all the logistics & route part of the trip covered & saji's superlative pictures. Wonderful combination, guys! Just one thing I wanted to know. I have heard that the camera batteries get drained quickly in such cold conditions. Did any of you people experience any problems like that? Also, any special care/precautions taken with the cameras?

Ranjith
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 13:30   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Wow! This is indeed a unique travelogue with lalu narrating the day's travel in a story like way with his numerous photos, Kumar saab's crisp narration which has all the logistics & route part of the trip covered & saji's superlative pictures. Wonderful combination, guys! Just one thing I wanted to know. I have heard that the camera batteries get drained quickly in such cold conditions. Did any of you people experience any problems like that? Also, any special care/precautions taken with the cameras?

Ranjith
Thanks Ranjith.
We are one great team you know

Yes, the battery drains fast in cold climates. But this trip none of us had any such issues, since we always got charging points in the night stays, except a few places. We also had a car inverter which we liberally used during the drive also.

Last edited by laluks : 5th October 2009 at 13:31.
Old 5th October 2009, 13:52   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
I have heard that the camera batteries get drained quickly in such cold conditions. Did any of you people experience any problems like that? Also, any special care/precautions taken with the cameras?

Ranjith
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
We also had a car inverter which we liberally used during the drive also.
Remember, when you are traveling with the chief and you have all luxury

Whether it is food for thought or us or for the gadgets.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 14:45   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Remember, when you are traveling with the chief and you have all luxury

Whether it is food for thought or us or for the gadgets.
I can already imagine chief waiting to get you in the next run.
Old 5th October 2009, 15:34   #174
BHPian

Wow!! Great Travelogue. Wonderful narration by all and Great Snaps I have read the thread so far in one stretch and it made very good reading. Now to get on with Office Work

If next year such a convoy is planned, I want to be in.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 16:08   #175
BHPian

Congrats Laluks. Just came across your travelogue. Brings back some great memories. I am planning a return trip next year. hope that becomes a reality. Great stuff mate!!
Locomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 16:46   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
Congrats Laluks. Just came across your travelogue. Brings back some great memories. I am planning a return trip next year. hope that becomes a reality. Great stuff mate!!
I must thank you. If it wasn't for your wonderful travelogue last year, I would not even have had this trip in my wildest dreams. From that day onwards I was searching for the best opportunity to do this trip and finally tagged along with HVKs convoy.

Please let me know your plans next year. Already I have a few places of interest noted down
Old 5th October 2009, 17:24   #177
Team-BHP Support

Great stuff laluks! After two years of gap I think I'll be able to make it next year.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 17:47   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Great stuff laluks! After two years of gap I think I'll be able to make it next year.
Thanks Rudraji.
Hope you liked our pictures.
Old 5th October 2009, 20:10   #179
BHPian

Awesome teamwork laluks,hvkumar & sj_koova. Very well written and detailed travelogue.

Hvk's attention to detail is amazing!!

@ laluks - Superb narration
@ sj_koova - Beautiful pictures

Regarding Magnetic hill it did not work for us. What we found was that when you sit in the vehicle you feel that the Car is going uphill, to test if it really works we went next to the board and then we looked at the road and the vehicle we found that the what we thought was an uphill incline was in fact a slope!! In order to cross check we asked the driver to turn the car around and it was going downhill on the slope it did not go up at all.

Our driver was a 53yr old gentleman who was a very knowledgeable Ex-Ladakh scouts jawan and he said that even though Magnetic hill is a destination which is mentioned in the Leh Taxi union tariff card he said that all these years he has not seen any magnetic activity there apart from the car going down the slope which is quite natural.
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 20:26   #180
Senior - BHPian

Behind every driver was well-oiled machinery - to take care of logistics such as refilling drinking water, dispensing foodstuffs, mixing electral/ fruit drinks and generally looking after the car - such as cleaning windshields and so on. That is indeed the team spirit at work, each one has a job to do and if he does it well, everyone is at ease and all needs taken care of. Each of our cars (Glenn & HVK) had a guy to spend and account for expenses on food, hotel rooms, etc, and this car-wise arrangement worked well. Even though we travelled as one large contingent, it made more sense to look after expenditure car-wise for better accountability and accounting.

In my car, one of the team members also had to record log book notings, mark GPS points,etc.

I had 2 more babies to take care of every night - my GPS and Car Cam. Both devices had storage limitations and unless I downloaded data daily, I ran the risk of them being overwritten. So that was a chore every night to take out our laptops (except in high altitude areas Pangong and TsoMoriri) and dump the rich content that we had recorded in the Garmin GPS and Car Cam for the day. Thus, I have GPS route maps - and markings for major points of interest such as turn offs, petrol pumps, hotels/food joints, etc, for almost the entire route and also Car Camera footage for all but a couple of days.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote