Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th October 2009, 14:13   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I was wondering how come there are only IOC pumps in the higher reaches of Ladakh and Himachal and no BP/HPCL.
Not true,the Spiti-Kinnaur circuit has all - IOC, HPCL, BPCL.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 14:16   #227
Senior - BHPian

wow beautiful pics.

See how weather changes, you guys were just 2 days behind us and see the difference at K-La top

Name:  P9160510.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  84.3 KB
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 14:48   #228
BHPian

Bharat, this is unbelievable!
We had lots snow at Kunzum La though.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 14:49   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wow beautiful pics.

See how weather changes, you guys were just 2 days behind us and see the difference at K-La top

Attachment 205510
Oh man!!
Did your tyres skid on those beautiful snow?
How hard, easy was the drive.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 14:58   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Oh man!!
Did your tyres skid on those beautiful snow?
How hard, easy was the drive.
yes it did and learned alot from local drivers to pass those slides, it was hard initially. Rohit was the pilot here and he managed it very well. More detail here : Saying JULAY Bachelor style - Leh 2009 - Page 3 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com

Will follow in TBHP soon

Name:  P9160505.JPG
Views: 972
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  P9160518.JPG
Views: 977
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  P9160509scalled.JPG
Views: 1001
Size:  88.2 KB

Last edited by rkbharat : 8th October 2009 at 15:01.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:07   #231
BHPian

Quote:

Seriously!!!!!. The vagaries of nature!!. We would have laughed it off had somebody told that it snowed in k-la just a day ago, if not for the photos!.
avasekeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:12   #232
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally, the road to Kunzum la was closed till 2 days before we went, thanks to snowfall. We were quite lucky that our road was not blocked on the dates that we travelled.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 18:33   #233
BHPian

Quote:
wow beautiful pics.

Wow, This is amazing man.Black scorpio in that white background looks awesome.I had been there in october 2006 and august 2009, but no luck to witness this full white scenery.Anyway that's another inspiration to do one more Leh.
jack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 00:06   #234
BHPian

Nice motoring guys... its just Time of Life when you are in leh
Leh Experience is one and only one of its own kind, today at last i got approval from the moderators which was awaited for long.
Thanks Moderators for the approval, Soon i will post pics of my RED BULL
airwolf9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:51   #235
BHPian

Nice pics.. Scorpio looks Bold in the snow...
aneeshanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 21:52   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry guys. Got a little busy at work.
Will update the next days logs by tomorrow.

Keep reading!!
Old 10th October 2009, 13:01   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
We were shocked when an army truck suddenly braked and shouted - "Arrey, ye MH12 kaun hai??" We thought the MH12 had screwed up something!! Only later we found out that it was a sudden outpour of the drivers emotion on seeing people from his place.[/i]
this MH-12 experience was really an insight into how great the attitude of all the defense personnel in that region is. they're absolutely unconditionally happy to see you and to host you. at every checkpost, you come across all sorts of facilities for civilians, they'll even offer you tea/soup- which is so very welcome in that weather.
and that pleasure of hosting you is doubled when they meet someone from their homestate, which was the case with the MH-12 stallion driver. the best part was that we were a completely mixed group with guys from so many states, that invariably the army guys would find someone or the other from their state.
kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 15:48   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 9, September 20th, 2009

Today is the day we would see the most beautiful Pangong Tso lake and also some ugliest human behaviour!!

I do not wish to be sarcastic here. This is one day I wish I could erase from this trip. No it's not because of the place we are about to see today, but due to the innermost nature of us mortals!!

The day saw manipulation, frustration, immaturity, outbursts, communication gaps, mistrust and what not. How I wish I was alone with our scorpio today. Moral is form the convoy only with people whom you know well and matches your frequency, else drive alone.

Day started at 05:30 AM. We were all getting ready and packing up. The first shock of the day came - Pajero wants to return home. Probably the misadventure on the sand dunes the previous day combined with a bad decision of partying the night before could be the reason. Whatever, he has every right to decide to leave and we respected the same.

Bigger issue is what would happen to the other three members with him. These were the foreigners one of the convoy member had set up with the convoy, though the email discussions before the formation of the convoy opposed any strangers for the trip - especially foriegners.[It turned out that they were much level headed and friendly than even some of us].

What would have happened if two of HVK's copassengers had not returned to Bombay from Leh? What would have happened if all the cars were full? What would have happened if in this situation the convoy had to accomodate them in your cars intruding your privacy even if you did not like it? What would have happened if they had to return from there in such a scenario? Obviously the person inviting should take responsibility. He had his trips and was least bothered about all this mess which were happening. Including the Pajero all felt like they were dumped on to the convoy and we were forced to have solutions in place. After sorting this out and accomodating them to some cars (which in any case we had to) who will drop them in Delhi the trip started.

I am annoyed because GK, who always wished to be in Glenns car, had to be in another car at times a few days before due to similar issues, this was definitely not what we wanted.

Well who knew it was going to be more worse later on. To sum it up the day ended with some very immature outbursts and actions due to manipulation and concealing of facts by a convoy member which prevented another convoy member from achieving his plan, and the others wondering what went wrong.

I would not be doing justice if I were to write only sweet things about this trip!!!
Even today when I think of this day it fills me with so much of negative energy

The day log of the places visited today is coming soon with pictures.

Last edited by laluks : 10th October 2009 at 16:08.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:13   #239
BHPian

hey,
i have a foto of the pajero getting stuck the first time even before we'd reached hunder. here it is.
Attached Images

kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 17:30   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
hey,
i have a foto of the pajero getting stuck the first time even before we'd reached hunder. here it is.
Hey thats great.
The Pajero almost toppled over there
To the right side of the Pajero it is atleast 20 feet deep - if not more.

Last edited by laluks : 10th October 2009 at 17:32.