Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th September 2009, 11:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 2, September 13th, 2009
Shahpura - Behror - Gurgaon - Delhi - Ludhiana - Jalandhar - Pathankot - Jammu - Udhampur - Patnitop. (935 Kms)

I have reached the meeting place by 6:00AM. By 7:15AM all the convoy vehicles have reached and we started from Delhi. We stopped for Breakfast at a Dhaba after 60 Kms by 8:00AM. Got introduced to everyone in the trip. Now we have only 1 more Scorpio to be joined in from Srinagar to complete the convoy.

But the Pajero was always flying and was not with the convoy, which I felt was not too mature in such a convoy drive.

We reached Panipat by 9:30Am, Ambala by 11:00AM, Ludhiana by 13:00PM.

HVK co-ordinating the night stay at patnitop, when we stopped at Ambala.
Name:  HVK coorddinating.JPG
Views: 4477
Size:  12.6 KB

The convoy as seen a little after Ludhiana.
Name:  convoy.JPG
Views: 4572
Size:  76.9 KB

Just after Ludhiana we stopped for a 30 minutes lassi break!! The lassi was more water and we were disappointed, but that was a welcome break anyways.
Name:  lassi break.JPG
Views: 4904
Size:  87.9 KB

We reached Pathankot around 16:00PM. By 17:00PM we were atleast 200Km away from Patnitop.
Name:  patnitop a long way.JPG
Views: 7718
Size:  62.9 KB

HVK clarified that we have to take a shortcut from Kathua to Udhampur via Challan and Ramnagar. So we turned right from NH1A, to join NH1A later at Udhampur. Just after this turn we stopped for a tea break. We took some photo shootouts of the vehicles here.

The convoy minus the Pajero, which flew away somewhere!!
Name:  The Vehicles.JPG
Views: 4542
Size:  53.3 KB

Check the team Sticker - Thanks to Glenn for the last minute making of the stickers. He also did arrange for some T shirts in 4 days!
Name:  The sticker.JPG
Views: 4535
Size:  63.4 KB

Thats me with Glenn's Scorpio. For a change I am at the Co driver side!!
Name:  Myh Car.JPG
Views: 4433
Size:  25.4 KB

This route was very scenic with sheer drop on the sides, and it was a scary night drive through this place. We reached Udhampur by 20:30PM. Udhampur is 700+ meters above sea level - which is less than Bangalore which is 800m+. At udhampur the bolero too broke away from the convoy!

From here it is a steep climb to Patnitop via the NH1A for 40+ kms. Patnitop is 2000m+ above sea level. We reached Patnitop by 21:45Pm and checked on to JKTDC hotel for the night.

Last edited by laluks : 29th September 2009 at 11:56.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
While good DSLR pics are a good representation of the trip & locations they only compliment the true spirit of the journey. Writing a travelogue is 'that' spirit. Looking forward buddy.

You most likely will see me there in 2010. I didnt know of such a trip happening, else I would have joined for sure.
Thanks jay.
This trip was planned in the Scorpio Fan's forum and later through someway I came to know about it. But when I knew HVK was planning, there was no double thoughts. Just joined in.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

This is going to be one amazing Log. Guess we will see the places I could not go to from your lens!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 12:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is going to be one amazing Log. Guess we will see the places I could not go to from your lens!
Thanks tsk.
I saw your log, amazing photos. By the way Safari looks cool up there.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Correction for Day 2.
Since we took a shortcut to Udhampur via Ramnagar, we did not pass through Jammu. This shortcut also saved us 30+ kms. Hence the total distance for the day is 895Kms.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:33   #21
BHPian

Lalu,
Great, you had the time and patience to start the thread so early. I was sleeping most of the day yesterday, haven't got a chance to work on the photos yet.
I will post some of the best pics here and add the rest in flicker and provide the link.

We really had a great team in our Scorpio (Glen/Lalu/Saji/Ganesh) and those 16 days are really exciting and memorable.
I admire the people (HVK/KS_bluechip/Sudheer) traveled in HVK's Scorpio as well. All of them are at their middle-age but the enthusiasm and experience they had was really great. They all have travelled so much that they knew each part so well with the historic importance.

HVK's and Glenn's Scorpio was together for first 12 days. Unfortunately Gelnn had to deviate at Grampho, but HVK was kind enough to give us place in his car to three of us. That way Lalu, Ganesh and I could do the last Lahul-Spitti loop with him. We joined Glenn again at Delhi for our return journey to Mumbai.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 12:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
HumbLeh’d

To reiterate, I am humbled by the nature, I am humbled by the vast knowledge of HVK, I am humbled by the safe driving of Glenn, and I am humbled by the friendship I got during this trip.
Lalu, very rightly said. The vastness and the majestic nature is really humbling, esp the nights when we could see the clear sky and zillions of stars all around..very very humbling. We are so tiny & insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

So, rapa-rapa, pls carry on with your accounts!!
avasekeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 12:41   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I will post some of the best pics here and add the rest in flicker and provide the link.
We are waiting. Please post soon
Old 29th September 2009, 12:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Saji, please post the Pajero pull out video as well
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Saji, please post the Pajero pull out video as well
Yes. I will re-size them and post it in YouTube or something. That was a great show by Vishal's Scorpio and MileCruncher's Bolero. Good tug-of-war!
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

From now on the drive is in J&K and HP. So it would be a good idea to list down the plan so the readers can follow it and wait for what is unfolding.

Day 01 - Bombay - Shahpura
Day 02 - Shahpura - Patnitop
Day 03 - Patnitop - Srinagar - Sonamarg - Drass - Kargil
Day 04 - Kargil - Padhum
Day 05 - Padhum - Kargil
Day 06 - Kargil - Lamayaru - Magnetic Hill - Leh
Day 07 - Leh
Day 08 - Leh - Khardung La - Hunder - Diskit - Panamik - Diskit (Nubra Valley)
Day 09 - Diskit - Wari La - Chang La - Tangtse - Pagal Nallah - Pangong Tso - Tangtse
Day 10 - Tangtse - Chang La - Karu - Upshi - Tso Kiagar - Tso Morriri
Day 11 - Tso Morriri - Tso Kar - Moore Plains - Lachung La - Naki La - Ghata Loops - Whisky Nallah - Brandy Nallah - Sarchu - Baralacha La - Jispa - Keylong
Day 12 - Keylong - Sissoo - Gramphoo - Kunsum La - Lossar - Kaza
Day 13 - kaza - Ke Monastery - Kibber - Kaza - Tabo -Sumdo - Malling - Nako - Spellow - Powari - Sangla
Day 14 - Sangla - Chitkul - Sangla - Jeori - Rampur - Narkhanda - Khufri - Shimla - Panchkula - Ambala - Delhi - Behror
Day 15 - Behror - Bombay
Day 16 - Rest day in Bombay
Old 29th September 2009, 13:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasekeh View Post
Lalu, very rightly said. The vastness and the majestic nature is really humbling, esp the nights when we could see the clear sky and zillions of stars all around..very very humbling. We are so tiny & insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

So, rapa-rapa, pls carry on with your accounts!!
Hey Mr. Bina L/P
How can I forget seeing the milky way after climbing up that hill panting and puffing in the night. It was the most amazing stuff ever happened to me. We were really insignificant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Yes. I will re-size them and post it in YouTube or something. That was a great show by Vishal's Scorpio and MileCruncher's Bolero. Good tug-of-war!
Saji, hold on till I reach that day's account. I guess you'll definitely need more time to process
Old 29th September 2009, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed turning out to be a very interesting trip. Im glued.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 15:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

It was great team work all the way - precise planning, disciplined drives, sound temperaments and tremendous passion for the trip ahead.

Yes, we all had a great time. The team was composite - experienced drivers, gifted photographers, mixed age group - and everything fell into place well, right from the cars joining the convoy at various places to the bagging of accomodation without any prior booking and intimation.

We did not drop a stitch on the schedules and everyone braved the cold and hostile weather to get onto their cars as early as 4 and 5 am and set off for the journey of the day.

The cars behaved like they were possessed of tremendous zeal and none of them faced any serious problems

Last edited by hvkumar : 29th September 2009 at 15:29.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 15:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

One Leh Travelogue I've been waiting for desperately !!

Looking forward to this one eagerly.

Who's Pajero was it ? Not someone on TBHP I assume .
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote