Here you go

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post1539409
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 11:13   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Guys, am back from my trip.
This was a small version of Himalayas. No roads for almost 40Kms.
Eager to listen about this. Came to this from MC's travelogue, and yet to complete reading the whole thing.
Are you planning to start a new thread for that.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 11:19   #440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Are you planning to start a new thread for that.
He should start a new thread. Let's not mix it up.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:27   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
He should start a new thread. Let's not mix it up.
Rudra ji, that'll be another log for sure.
But when I get the time to pen it is the question. Two are already pending halfway from my side
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:30   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rudra ji, that'll be another log for sure.
But when I get the time to pen it is the question. Two are already pending halfway from my side
May be time to take time -off to pen the travelogues
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:32   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
May be time to take time -off to pen the travelogues
Yes MC, One such break is planned in the last week of November .

Last edited by laluks : 20th October 2009 at 12:33.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:36   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow back to back, lovely, any plans for snow
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:43   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I so envy you man. Due to sudden turn of events I'll have to stay put in Hyd for the next 3 months
Old 20th October 2009, 14:39   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wow back to back, lovely, any plans for snow
Snow? December is free as of now
But since its Christmas and family time I dont think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I so envy you man. Due to sudden turn of events I'll have to stay put in Hyd for the next 3 months
Just three months man. It'll fly like that
Old 21st October 2009, 21:20   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
And people say I get too many leaves!
But you can update logs anytime in office

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
Amazing shots! .... both these Macros
Thank you KS.
On that note let me start the rest of the log, before this child forgets many things.

Last edited by laluks : 21st October 2009 at 21:21.
Old 21st October 2009, 22:10   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 13, September 24th, 2009
Kaza - Ke Monastery - Kibber - Ke Monastery - Kaaza - Attragu - Sichling - Tabo - Sumdo - Malling - Nako - Puh - Spello - Morang - Powari - Karchham - Sangla.

Kaza - Ke Monastery - Kibber - Ke Monastery - Kaaza

After a wonderful sleep the previous night, we were ready to visit the Ke monastery and Kibber village by 06:30AM.

Ke Village is around 12Km from Kaza. Ke Gompa is the largest in Spiti.

The first view of Ke Gompa. It is on the top of a hill 4116m high.
Name:  DSCN4078.JPG
Views: 589
Size:  212.4 KB

The entrance to the Gompa
Name:  DSCN4079.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  234.9 KB

Views from the Gompa
Name:  DSCN4081.JPG
Views: 577
Size:  232.0 KB
Name:  DSCN4087.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  177.5 KB
Name:  DSCN4088.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  179.1 KB
Name:  DSCN4090.JPG
Views: 560
Size:  194.7 KB
Name:  DSCN4094.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  208.0 KB

Some pictures of the Gompa
Name:  DSCN4103.JPG
Views: 560
Size:  154.5 KB
Name:  DSCN4104.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  189.5 KB
Name:  DSCN4109.JPG
Views: 552
Size:  202.3 KB
Name:  DSCN4111.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  214.8 KB

Morning prayer we came to know is at 8AM. We were offered hot tea and that was quite welcome in that weather.

After visiting Ke, we travelled ahead to Kibber, which is another 8KM.
Name:  DSCN4113.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  193.0 KB
Name:  DSCN4116.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  229.9 KB
Name:  DSCN4117.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  252.3 KB
Name:  DSCN4129.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  185.5 KB

Kibber is at 4205m, and was once having the tag of being the highest village in the world. Now it claims only to be the highest motorable village in the world with electricity.
Name:  DSCN4136.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  234.3 KB

According to geocities.com - The highest village in the world Gette (4270 m) is 5 Km ahead from Kibber. Hikkim is situated at 15500 feet and is the highest post office in the World. Hikkim post office is 20 Km away from Kaza and 3500 feet higher.

According to en.tibet.cn - The highest village in the world is Tui Village in Dalong Town, Lhoka Prefecture in Tibet Autonomous Region.

Well, I don't know for sure which is the highest village in the world, what I know is I am game to go all these places and measure the altitude. Anybody joining in??

Some views on our way down from Kibber to Kaza

Name:  DSCN4141.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  201.3 KB
Name:  DSCN4144.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  205.3 KB
Name:  DSCN4168.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  219.8 KB
Name:  DSCN4178.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  210.7 KB
Name:  DSCN4198.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  223.5 KB

The views of Ke Gompa as we descend to Kaza
Name:  DSCN4206.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  204.2 KB
Name:  DSCN4207.JPG
Size:  196.8 KB

Rangrik town on the other bank
Name:  DSCN4212.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  240.6 KB
Name:  DSCN4217.JPG
Size:  211.6 KB

We reached Kaza by 09:00AM. Had a leisurely breakfast and checked out by 10:00AM.

continued...
Old 21st October 2009, 22:36   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, I don't know for sure which is the highest village in the world, what I know is I am game to go all these places and measure the altitude. Anybody joining in??

As per wiki and various report, there is a big debate whether highest motorable pass is in India or Tibet. I hear that Tibet/China is only around 20-25 Kms from Spangmik. Target 2010 is it ?
Old 21st October 2009, 23:00   #450
Senior - BHPian

MY TAKE ON Day 13, September 24, 2009, Kaza-Sangla, 288 kms

The lovely drive and the double bonanza of 2 great lunch and dinner meals the previous day saw us all in our sunniest of dispositions and cheer, as we trundled out of our hotel rooms at 630 am and gazed up at the Ke Monastery that was perched up atop the hill outside Kaza town. At 700 am, we were the first visitors to the Monastery, and we drank in the panorama of the Spiti Valley below us. Pity that harvest was over, else the river banks would have been carpeted in green. A monk showed us around all the prayer rooms and made us complimentary tea, sharing with us details of the Dalai Lama’s visit to the Gompa some years ago and stories of how they manage to survive the bitterly cold winters – the Gompa is surrounded by snow and the monks are virtually prisoners inside, surviving on the rations that they have stocked up in autumn in preparation of a long hibernation. Their humility and hospitality was a memory that we took away the most, although the magnificence of the tapestries, idols, prayer flags and cymbals took our breath away.

Next place on our list was what is regarded as the highest inhabited village in the world connected by road – the Kibber Village, 13,543 feet – which basked peacefully in the early morning sunlight, one wonders what force compels its inhabitants to suffer -30s shivering temperatures in peak winter! We were back to Hotel Spiti at 830 am to partake of a healthy breakfast of omlettes and aloo parathas, one of those rare days when we had breakfast at the hotel we stayed in.

We are now driving away from Ladakhi terrain into the green valleys of what is the Himachal is famous for. The River Spiti pierces through the Valley and the road runs on the mountain sides above all the way for the next 90 kms. Several villages dot the countryside, but population of each settlement is not much, we saw villages with official populations of 80 people! On the other bank of the river, roads branched off to the Pin Valley, surely one of the most exotic of places in India, desolate, unspoilt and for most part inaccessible and also the abode of the Snow Leopard in India. We had no time to take the detour for the Dhankar Gompa (before Shicling village), which is one of the iconic monasteries in the Spiti Valley.

The giant Bailey Bridge greets you as you enter Tabo town, which is the second largest town in the Spiti Valley and we took a peek into Tabo Monastery, which was unfortunately closed at that time. The tiny Spiti stream that trickled out of Kunzum la is now a roaring torrent of water as it sculpted massive rocks and fed the multi-coloured vegetation on its banks. We lost it somewhere as it turned off abruptly towards the China border to its confluence with the River Sutlej, the new river off the block.

Sumdo (10,100 feet) – that is the junction where the NH22 joins this road from Kaza, and goes away to the restricted border town of Kurik, which is just 17 kms away. Wasted some time at the police check post at Sumdo, as the cop painstakingly examined the permits and passports of a group of foreigners ahead of us. The entire region is pouring foreigners in cars, riding Bullets, pedaling bicycles and reading Lonely Planets, but no Indians in what is undoubtedly one of the must-go regions in India. We are already in apple county even before reaching Sumdo and this being peak season, the trees are heavily laden with red and golden apples.

River Sutlej now defines the topography, it is undoubtedly the wildest river in the Himalayan region, originating in Tibet and getting dammed downstream at Bhakra-Nangal (in the Punjab plains). The road is in very good condition and it is exciting to go under the rock overhangs blasted out to lay the road. We were blockaded for half an hour before the Malling Nullah (32 kms from Sumdo, 130 pm) since blasting was on in the road. Malling Nullah is the nemesis of this Hindustan-Tibet highway, and the road had just reopened after a fortnight of landslides at that point. They have realigned the road taking it up the hill instead of down into the valley but that has not really helped, except that we are now treated to some sweeping panoramas of the River Sutlej flowing through steep cliffs.

Nako – cannot figure out what is there (apparently a Gompa and a Lake), but the place is extremely popular with the foreign crowd, and there are a couple of decent hotels in town. We are rapidly coming down as we cross the towns of Ka, Pooh and Spello (place names sound like what the first words that a toddler would utter!). The road has been widened in most places and has excellent tar surface, and it is a pleasure to drive on these roads. Now we are hovering a few feet above the Sutlej and frequently crossing the River now and then. Many tributaries flow down, and the best of them is perhaps the Kassang Waterfalls which we briefly halt by at 500 pm. What happened next is a like something out of an action movie: Here we are proceeding towards Powari, when suddenly we saw ahead guys frantically waving to us to go fast, they were the supervisors at the blasting zone. We were wondering why these guys were so desperate, after all it was a narrow road strewn with rubble and we were irritated that they wanted us to drive faster! Hey, what is this here, I can hear and see 2 small blasts next to my car (and see white rubble falling off)…..and we keep going. The entire mountainside collapses as 2 powerful explosions rocked the valley, and the road we were in 10 seconds before had disappeared, with 3 Scorpio-sized boulders crashing down – we could have been easily under them! This is the height of irresponsibility and endangerment of vehicles, the contractors are really callous, and we escaped by the hair in our noses, so to say.

The Kinner Kailash dominates the horizon and we watched the setting sun’s rays cast their golden colour on its snow-clad peaks. We reached Powari (the turn off point for Recong Peo and Kalpa) at 540 pm to find the road temporarily closed due to blasting , but the long delay was on account of similar reasons – a Maruti 800 had been scrapped by one of the boulders that rolled down after the blast. Traffic lined the road on both sides, and we were stuck there till 700 pm. We almost decided to turn back and go off to Kalpa. There was total chaos with the traffic piling up – an army man who was passing by threw out the incompetent bull-dozer driver and took charge of clearing operations himself. Ganesh ended up directing the unruly traffic when it started moving. We were delayed by almost 1.30 hours, and by the time we reached Karchcham, it was 730 pm. A narrow steep road goes up 17 kms to Sangla, but poor signage meant that we missed a couple of turns in the darkness. We ultimately arrived at Sangla (8,879 feet) at 815 pm, and were lucky to get rooms in a brand-new Hotel Devi Regency. Sangla is one of the picturesque hill stations of Himachal. For the first time since we left Patnitop on our onward journey to Kargil, we were below 10,000 feet and the weather was too warm for our thickened skins that had got acclimatized to the sub-zeros.

Needless to say, we were perfectly on schedule as per original plan.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote