Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd October 2009, 16:21   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Is it my turn now?
Most of my shots are just duplicates of what Lalu has. After sticking around with me for more than 10 days, he has become an excellent photographer
During the last few days, he had gone crazy with the camera, clicking anything and everything he finds on the way.
He started with "auto" mode on his camera the first day, and ended up with "manual" mode on the last day of the trip. Lalu, is that right?
brother great pictures, i too did the SAME itinerary as you guys are doing. and i too got stuck at the same place where you guys got stuck at nako, the land slide, the road being built in front of us, my whole trip is flashing before me right now as i write this....

All the best brother and drive save. BTW tell me about peoples reaction when they see a MH number plate in himachal

safe driving
cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:36   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
BTW tell me about peoples reaction when they see a MH number plate in himachal

safe driving
cheers,
ac
I don't think anyone noticed! And nowadays, there are so many cars from all over India all over India, not surprising any more.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:55   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I guess you captured them in raw, there are quite a few free raw processing tools like raw therapee etc., ofcourse still didnt find the right one for canon, but they are worth the try. not sure if you are using canon or nikon.
RAW - Unfortunately not. I had to save my memory space for more pics. So all in JPEG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You do not need Adobe.
Just use Canon DPP(if you use canon cam) for RAW.
Otherwise use RAW Therapee(open source) for RAW processing first step(batch process), and then use GIMP for final touchup
Thats what I do

Canon DPP is excelleht. As for open source tools like Raw Therapee or UFRAW, they work with almost all RAW formats
I use Nikon. So do not have Canon DPP. Thanks for the suggestion on Raw Therapee. I will use it for my RAW shots in future
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:24   #469
BHPian

A lovely travelouge on the whole.

Love the pics taken by Lalu, Saji.

HVK's got real command over the terrian.

Would love to be a part of his entourage the next time another Leh tour is planned. Hope they allow me to hop in someone's ride.

MileCruncher, I think I've seen your Bolero yesterday late evening at Somajiguda, Raj Bhavan Road, taking a U-Turn from MMTS Station. I did see the Tour De Leh sticked on the rear window.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:31   #470
Senior - BHPian

beautiful pics,
but that blast incident was very scary, and very irresponsible to the part of contractor. You guys should have asked him to come down and gave him a little lesson
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:06   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
beautiful pics,
but that blast incident was very scary, and very irresponsible to the part of contractor. You guys should have asked him to come down and gave him a little lesson
We are grateful that we escaped with our lives. Never an activist by temperament, am too tired to pontificate to the world, will have to spend a lifetime doing that if one starts.

Near Recong Peo, something like that happened to a M800 (falling stone actually touched it), and that delayed the entire traffic by 2 hours+ because of the fights, police FIR-ing and all that.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:13   #472
Team-BHP Support

HVK, late May - early June could be the right time to do this circuit?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:16   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
HVK, late May - early June could be the right time to do this circuit?
Yes, lovely time to do Kinnaur Valley in May-June. Good roads, spring/greens/flowers and no rains. Very heavy rains in July. However, Delhi holiday crowd may be high. Road to Kaza is open all throughout. If you are lucky, the Rohtang will also open by then, enabling you to complete the Shimla-Kaza-Manali circuit.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:41   #474
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, we're aiming for a minimum 25 days trip. Keeping enough time for shooting and all.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:47   #475
Senior - BHPian

Driving to Ladakh

May-June:
+ Beginning of the season
- Heavy rush
- Terrible roads
- High hotel rates
+ Lots of snow

Jul:
+ More greenery
- Heavy rains in Himachal

Sep
+ Best roads of the season
+ Off season rates after Sep 15
+ No crowds
- Greenery is all gone
- No OTR roads
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:53   #476
Team-BHP Support

We've done Ladakh during end July. Yes, rain was the major issue.

When do they clear up snow and repair the roads in May?
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:58   #477
adc
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Day 13, September 24th, 2009 Continued.
Sumdo - Malling - Nako - Puh - Spello - Morang - Powari - Karchham - Sangla.

You all should have taken the diversion to Giabong/Ropa, a totally offbeat destination. Very few people think of taking the diversion road off the highway before Pooh [if coming from Tabo/Nako side]. Fantastic curved and steep roads with colours of earth amazing to say the least. In fact we stayed over there at the PWD at Ropa [end of the road] rather than at Nako.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1025861 (Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT-TMT Grand One-Year Ownership Travelogue [Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahaul])

Again since this has been for all of you a fantastic humongous journey, all should have done the Pin Valley-Mudh excursion - missing that is sacrilege!! This must have been not done due to time constraints.

Last edited by adc : 23rd October 2009 at 12:06.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:59   #478
Senior - BHPian

The Zoji La (Srinagar-Kargil), Rohtang (Manali-Keylong), Baralacha la (Keylong-Sarchu) and KUnzum la (Manali-Kaza) passes open anywhere between May 10 and 25, depending on the extent of snowfall. You will get news on this in the Leh Hill Development Council web-site and The Tribune newspaper (Chandigarh), which has the best coverage of the region. Hence, it is difficult to plan an exact date for the start of your trip, although pegging May 25 + will be OK.

Please bear in mind that once the roads reopen, truck and military traffic is very high.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:05   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
You all should have taken the diversion to Giabong/Ropa. Very few people think of taking the diversion road off the highway before Pooh [if coming from Tabo/Nako side].
We missed the turn. Any coordinates on the turn off point?
I saw another turn off near Nako, pointing to Leo and Hango - any clues as to what these places are about?

Quote:
Again since this has been for all of you a fantastic humongous journey, all should have done the Pin Valley-Mudh excursion - missing that is sacrilege!! This must have been not done due to time constraints.
Planning a small detour into Pin Valley next April during my drive to Kinnaur and Spiti Valleys.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:31   #480
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
We missed the turn. Any coordinates on the turn off point?
I saw another turn off near Nako, pointing to Leo and Hango - any clues as to what these places are about?
Since dont have a GPS, asked the few local people available about directions. Just beyond the bridge they said, we took the road when that bridge came - though was not sure if that was the bridge. Confirmed about Giabong as it neared that village. It comes after Pooh if going from the Kalpa side.

This map I have about that area - Leo and Hango
Name:  Hangrang.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  77.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Driving to Ladakh

May-June:
+ Beginning of the season
- Heavy rush
- Terrible roads
- High hotel rates?
+ Lots of snow

Is end May-early June tourist season - to justify the high hotel rates?
adc is offline   Reply With Quote