Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th October 2009, 16:00   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
We took some time to get oriented to Mumbai roads and directions. And soon we took the train to VT from Andheri. Around an hour later we reached VT, and did the ceremonial photo shoot outs. Today it was just my camera.

continued...
so guys how did it feel to be in a train or bus after 2weeks + of scorpio?!

Quote:
Then we went in the directions of India gate and took a bus. We reached India gate by 12:45PM.

continued...
lalu, you mean Gateway of India, India Gate- NewDelhi

Quote:
Some kids chilling out, putting their heads out from the sunroof
Arre ye MH12 kaun hai??
continued...
ha ha! i'll bet you'll remember that Stallion driver at Nubra everytime you see a Pune registration car in B'lore

Quote:
While we sat and watched the sun setting on Mumbai I was thinking back about the trip, climbing all the way up to Khardung La at 18380ft and grounded at 0m at Mumbai, and the realities of life for every up there is a down and the likes... I sound strange. Time to stop.

Let me click some colours , and be back in the real real world.

GK viewing the sunset

Marine drive is crowded for viewing sunset.

Saji informs that we have a team dinner planned at a dhabha near Boriville, and we have to leave.
lalu,
i had the same thoughts as i was passing thru mumbai on my way back... from 0 to 18000+ ft asl, cold desert & hot desert, expressway roads and no roads, not-one-turn-vadodra-a'bad e-way and not-even-10-mtrs-straight-road at all the -las in ladakh.... we'd pretty much covered all the types of roads in india [or so i'd like to believe]

your sunset pics are really beautiful- what i'm thinking is how did you get such a clear sky in mumbai to click such great snaps?! i've never seen such a beautiful sunset in mumbai!

boriville! that sounds like some english town on the outskirts of bournville! lol.
kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 16:25   #557
Senior - BHPian

Very sad,

Unfortunately Srinagar-Leh is easier section than Manali-Leh but see more accidents.

When we were crossing this section, a car, not sure what, jumped straight into river with 3 foreigners, all dead, they were searching for dead body of one

Name:  DSC00797.JPG
Views: 644
Size:  270.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Reported in Rediff - Sumo accident in Zoji La

11 tourists killed in road accident in Kashmir: Rediff.com India News

Eleven tourists, including two children, were killed in a road accident when the vehicle they were travelling in skidded off the road and fell into a deep gorge on the Zojila pass near a popular north Kashmir [ Images ] health resort in Sonamarg on Sunday evening.

The victims were part of a group of two families hailing from Ahmedabad [ Images ] and were on a vacation in Kashmir.

The two families were traveling in a Tata Sumo taxi on the mountainous Zojila pass, which connects the Kashmir Valley with the cold desert region of Ladakh, when the vehicle went out of control and rolled down.

"The vehicle rolled down several hundred meters into the steep gorge resulting in on-

the-spot death of eleven people. A seven-year-old boy had a miraculous escape and was rescued from the accident spot. He is injured and is being treated at a hospital in Sonamarg," said Imtiyaz Ahmad, district police chief of Ganderbal.

"So far we have recovered bodies of two other children who died in the tragedy," he said.

"The rescue and relief operations are on. The terrain is very difficult to access and mobility in the area is very limited. We are trying our level best to recover other bodies," he added.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 17:08   #558
Senior - BHPian

Accidents never come announced.

it can be prevented with good planning, self restraint, disciplined driving,
stayig within speed limits, observing the traffic rules, driving only when there is enough day light, not venturing into dangerous/un-known areas at night etc, etc

once again this brings back the importance of successful completion of your trip to Leh-Ladak without any such events.

Hats off to the entire team for such a great execution with a happy ending.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 26th October 2009 at 17:10.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 17:18   #559
Senior - BHPian

Ahh that too much of rules

BTW what if you follow all these and some other silly guy come crashing to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

stayig within speed limits, observing the traffic rules, driving only when there is enough day light, not venturing into dangerous/un-known areas at night etc, etc
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 17:20   #560
Senior - BHPian

Bhagwan pe chod de-ne-ka

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th October 2009 at 17:33. Reason: Editing extra smiley, only 2 allowed per post
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 17:22   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

once again this brings back the importance of successful completion of your trip to Leh-Ladak without any such events.

Even though all the rules that you stated are important, lot of times all of them cannot be complied knowing and unknowingly. So we put our Faith in the Chief Even though all the rules that you stated are important, lot of times all of them cannot be complied knowing and unknowingly. So we put our Faith in the Chief and went on
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 19:48   #562
BHPian

If there has been one thread that I've followed with absolute dedication in recent times, this is the one. Usually, I stay off Team-BHP during the weekends (so that Monday I can look ultra busy in office!!). But, from the time you started posting, I was hooked and used to log on from home just to check updates on this thread. Many a times I've thought of posting comments about the pics or some comments about the way you write. Hats-Off Lalu. I sincerely appreciate your patience to pen something like this down. Love your no non-sense, take it as it is style.

Saju and Chief - If Lalu's writing was the pizza base, you guys are the toppings. Impressed, touched, awed.

Thank you guys for taking the time.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 20:02   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
so guys how did it feel to be in a train or bus after 2weeks + of scorpio?!
Bus I felt a longer scorpio and more powered Scorpio
Train I felt a lot longer scorpio and much more powered Scorpio

Quote:
lalu, you mean Gateway of India, India Gate- NewDelhi
My bad. Yes I meant the gateway of India. In the enthusiasm messed it up.

Quote:
ha ha! i'll bet you'll remember that Stallion driver at Nubra everytime you see a Pune registration car in B'lore
Right Doc. MH12 cars will be special from now on!!

Quote:
lalu,
i had the same thoughts as i was passing thru mumbai on my way back... from 0 to 18000+ ft asl, cold desert & hot desert, expressway roads and no roads, not-one-turn-vadodra-a'bad e-way and not-even-10-mtrs-straight-road at all the -las in ladakh.... we'd pretty much covered all the types of roads in india [or so i'd like to believe]
We think alike

Quote:
your sunset pics are really beautiful- what i'm thinking is how did you get such a clear sky in mumbai to click such great snaps?! i've never seen such a beautiful sunset in mumbai!
When the three musketeers are there in Mumbai......

Quote:
boriville! that sounds like some english town on the outskirts of bournville! lol.
LOL
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 20:24   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Star I understand your words fully.
Thanks for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Ahh that too much of rules

BTW what if you follow all these and some other silly guy come crashing to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bhagwan pe chod de-ne-ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Even though all the rules that you stated are important, lot of times all of them cannot be complied knowing and unknowingly. So we put our Faith in the Chief Even though all the rules that you stated are important, lot of times all of them cannot be complied knowing and unknowingly. So we put our Faith in the Chief and went on
It is always better never to be that silly guy on the street
Rest bhagavan pe chod do
Old 26th October 2009, 20:59   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
If there has been one thread that I've followed with absolute dedication in recent times, this is the one. Usually, I stay off Team-BHP during the weekends (so that Monday I can look ultra busy in office!!). But, from the time you started posting, I was hooked and used to log on from home just to check updates on this thread. Many a times I've thought of posting comments about the pics or some comments about the way you write. Hats-Off Lalu. I sincerely appreciate your patience to pen something like this down. Love your no non-sense, take it as it is style.

Saju and Chief - If Lalu's writing was the pizza base, you guys are the toppings. Impressed, touched, awed.

Thank you guys for taking the time.
I guess your F5 button is worn down. Mine does not have any writing on that button. One more way to find that you're addicted to the forum.

Thanks Unni for the appreciation. Will try and do better each time.
Old 1st November 2009, 13:04   #566
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Fantastic & epic

I have been following / reading this thread for ages now. Following inasmuch as I would just peek and see what was happening on a day to day basis. I would then come back and read it at leisure because I wanted to savour each bit.

This is a wonderful and rather unique travelouge as it is truly a collborative effort. Each participant contributing his own flavour and perspective.

Beyond that, this thread is a true epic. It has several elements - planning, driving, mechanical (technical), adventure, wildlife, vistas of nature etc. What however makes it totally unique is that it is unvarnished and sometimes a bit like reality TV with naked egoes, frayed tempers etc. All the stuff that great stories are made of.

Congratulations guys - for the great trip and the even better writeup and pics. Thanks for sharing it with us and letting us peek into some wonderful places, a super trip and great adventure.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 14:33   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have been following / reading this thread for ages now. Following inasmuch as I would just peek and see what was happening on a day to day basis. I would then come back and read it at leisure because I wanted to savour each bit.
Thanks Raveendra.
Is there anything that we missed out?

Quote:
This is a wonderful and rather unique travelouge as it is truly a collborative effort. Each participant contributing his own flavour and perspective.
HVK's plan was a stunner.
Saji is an amazing photographer.

Quote:
Beyond that, this thread is a true epic. It has several elements - planning, driving, mechanical (technical), adventure, wildlife, vistas of nature etc. What however makes it totally unique is that it is unvarnished and sometimes a bit like reality TV with naked egoes, frayed tempers etc. All the stuff that great stories are made of.
Why hide the realities? Vanity was the favourite sin.

Quote:
Congratulations guys - for the great trip and the even better writeup and pics. Thanks for sharing it with us and letting us peek into some wonderful places, a super trip and great adventure.

Thanks Raveendra.

Last edited by laluks : 1st November 2009 at 14:37.
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:22   #568

I, too, have been breathlessly following this thread, and it made me register here as well

I am running out of vocabulary to priase you all! And what a meticulous planning from HVK.

Above all, the total team work takes the cake
soleinkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:28   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleinkol View Post
I, too, have been breathlessly following this thread, and it made me register here as well

I am running out of vocabulary to priase you all! And what a meticulous planning from HVK.

Above all, the total team work takes the cake
Thanks Soleinkol. Welcome to TBHP.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:19   #570
BHPian

Fantastic thread!

Considering that you were a large group, how much of a challenge was it to find rooms for everyone at the same place at the same time?
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote