Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th November 2009, 12:24   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Fantastic thread!

Considering that you were a large group, how much of a challenge was it to find rooms for everyone at the same place at the same time?
We had no problem at all, we even booked 8-10 rooms at one shot. Thanks to the off-season of September (one of the reasons why this month was chosen for the trip).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 12:35   #572
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Very sad,

Unfortunately Srinagar-Leh is easier section than Manali-Leh but see more accidents.

When we were crossing this section, a car, not sure what, jumped straight into river with 3 foreigners, all dead, they were searching for dead body of one

Attachment 216089
Actually 3 families lost their near and dear in that accident, was big sad news here; the roads up there are unforgiving, lots of maturity needed to drive.

On this background, the HVK &Co drive with so many cars, so many people and so much tarmac covered without a hitch is highly appreciable. It's so easy to loose control and be immature. 3 cheers to all the participants.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:02   #573
Senior - BHPian

Default Jacketing radiators Re.

In several posts, you have mentioned that you jacketed the cars esp. the radiators with jute sacking and paper. How exactly did you do this? Any pictures? It would be helpful if I even knew whether this is done under the bonnet or over the grille.

Cheers and thanks.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:06   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
In several posts, you have mentioned that you jacketed the cars esp. the radiators with jute sacking and paper. How exactly did you do this? Any pictures? It would be helpful if I even knew whether this is done under the bonnet or over the grille.

Cheers and thanks.
Me too, looking for information/pics on this.

Also does this applies to Petrol Cars/Sedans as well?
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:09   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers and thanks.
What we do is to open the bonnet and slip in newspapers/gunny and wrap it over the grill, tucking it at the bottom of the grill, and then close the bonnet. This will ensure that no cold air slips inside the engine bay.

Sorry, no photos.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:18   #576
Senior - BHPian

You need to open the bonet and cover up the cylinder head. Also the front area infront of the radiator should be covered up. I did it with an old blanket doubled up.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:58   #577
Senior - BHPian

Default Thanks

Thanks Chief and MC. I get the idea now.

Cheers,
Old 11th November 2009, 12:14   #578
Senior - BHPian

Oh forgot to mention, park your cars with front towards a wall or obstacle to that they donot come in the direct access path of chilly winds.

Btw is the Laura CRDI? CRDI's need more number of cranks compared to Turbo - Diesels. Something to do with the inconsistent diesel spray. Hence you will get a lot of white smoke in the begining which will ease out once the flow normalises
Old 14th November 2009, 02:57   #579
Senior - BHPian

Laluks, hvkumar & sj_koova,

Congratulations on your endeavor. I enjoyed reading every word of the travelogue and the snaps were like the transporter on the USS Enterprise, placing one in another world at the click of a button. Congrats also to all the members of your team who had the good luck to be a part of this journey.

HVKumar, if you decide to make the proposed April '10 trip an open house, I would love an opportunity to be a part of the trip.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 07:11   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
HVKumar, if you decide to make the proposed April '10 trip an open house, I would love an opportunity to be a part of the trip.
Thanks khoj for that reminder.

HVK - where are you? 3 weeks over
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 09:48   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Oh forgot to mention, park your cars with front towards a wall or obstacle to that they donot come in the direct access path of chilly winds.

Btw is the Laura CRDI? CRDI's need more number of cranks compared to Turbo - Diesels. Something to do with the inconsistent diesel spray. Hence you will get a lot of white smoke in the begining which will ease out once the flow normalises
Yes, I plan to do that. In fact it is a habit with me to keep the front of my cars pointed to the walls and out of harm's way when out.

The Laura is a Pumpe Deuse which is a bit like the CDI, it has one pump per cylinder and the pressure is higher than CDI. So I can expect some initial smoke and starting problem. I intend to shift from stock air filter to Green Cotton once I reach Dirang to compensate for thinner air, I am hoping the place has no dust thanks to the temp, snow etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2009, 10:35   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I plan to do that. In fact it is a habit with me to keep the front of my cars pointed to the walls and out of harm's way when out.

The Laura is a Pumpe Deuse which is a bit like the CDI, it has one pump per cylinder and the pressure is higher than CDI. So I can expect some initial smoke and starting problem. I intend to shift from stock air filter to Green Cotton once I reach Dirang to compensate for thinner air, I am hoping the place has no dust thanks to the temp, snow etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
I would suggest keep to the stock as dust will be there, may not be as much as Ladakh, but definitely more than cities. Don't worry if you get black smoke as it is normal after 10,000 feet due to thinner air.
Old 14th November 2009, 11:31   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would suggest keep to the stock as dust will be there, may not be as much as Ladakh, but definitely more than cities. Don't worry if you get black smoke as it is normal after 10,000 feet due to thinner air.

Oh OK, I was under the impression that the ground would be frozen at this time of the year leading to a dust-free environment. Well, I will carry that Green Cotton along and take a call once we reach there.

Cheers,
Old 20th December 2009, 22:48   #584
BHPian

Its truely incredible, 40 plus hours form Sangla to Mumbai.
Rajain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 01:03   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Its truely incredible, 40 plus hours form Sangla to Mumbai.
Hi Rajain, Welcome onboard.

Your first post! and that too on a nonstop drive. Hey that's HVK for you.

Shall we assume you are a die hard drive fan
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote