Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st October 2009, 15:45   #91
Team-BHP Support

Okay, where is the next update. I hereby order you to post next update quickly.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 15:49   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, where is the next update. I hereby order you to post next update quickly.
Aye Aye - SIR.
Will post tonight - SIR
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 16:46   #93
BHPian

I saw the Convoy coming back towards Leh from Changla side. We were in a Qualis and climbing and at a bend after Shakti this CH registered Scorpio was coming pretty fast for that kind of a turn and gave us a scare, luckily our experienced driver was driving slow and braked in time to avoid any mishap.

Just after the CH Scorp I saw an MH Scorp & a KA Scorp and then I was pretty sure that this was the HVK team. I even remember the KA Scorp Reg No KA-01 MB6491. Ramkya had invited us to join the party on BCMT but unfortunately the dates did not match hence we had to do it separately.

Anyway awesome stuff and appreciate the whole team in doing this grueling and exciting trip as per schedule.

Waiting for more stories and beautiful pics.
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 17:09   #94
Senior - BHPian

@ Lloyd: Nice to know that you saw our convoy. That day we were on our way from Tangtse to Tso Moriri. That was the first batch with my AP-9 Bolero and Mandar's MH-12 Scorp trailing the pilot party by 2 hours.

One thing that I learnt from this trip, even though Ladakh is a journey of a lifetime, the group we had in the convoy made the trip even more worth remembering.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 17:24   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
I saw the Convoy coming back towards Leh from Changla side. We were in a Qualis and climbing and at a bend after Shakti this CH registered Scorpio was coming pretty fast for that kind of a turn and gave us a scare, luckily our experienced driver was driving slow and braked in time to avoid any mishap.

Just after the CH Scorp I saw an MH Scorp & a KA Scorp and then I was pretty sure that this was the HVK team. I even remember the KA Scorp Reg No KA-01 MB6491. Ramkya had invited us to join the party on BCMT but unfortunately the dates did not match hence we had to do it separately.

Anyway awesome stuff and appreciate the whole team in doing this grueling and exciting trip as per schedule.

Waiting for more stories and beautiful pics.
The white CH registered Scorpio was too fast always. The schedules could have given him the jitters . We thank all our lucky stars for a safe trip.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:28   #96
BHPian

Just out of curiosity - Were all the vehicles 4x4 or just some of them? And if any 2wd were there were they successful in scaling Marsimek La?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The white CH registered Scorpio was too fast always. The schedules could have given him the jitters . We thank all our lucky stars for a safe trip.
Our driver saved us!!

Just out of curiosity - Were all the vehicles 4x4 or just some of them? And if any 2wd were there were they successful in scaling Marsimek La?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st October 2009 at 19:04. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 18:34   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Our driver saved us!!

All were 2WD. We did not try MLa, since the agent did not get permits. But in one way it was good, we were able to keep the scheduled trip as planned with out breaking any of our vehicles. Everything in life has a reason
Old 1st October 2009, 18:35   #98
BHPian

Laluks. Brilliant stuff there.. In detailed trip log of Raid de Leh 09. This thread will be like a bible for many like me whose dream is to make this one journey of a lifetime through the Himalayas. Waiting eagerly for more...

Hats off to HVK.. The preparation for this expedition is mindbogling and very detailed.
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 18:50   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Laluks. Brilliant stuff there.. In detailed trip log of Raid de Leh 09. This thread will be like a bible for many like me whose dream is to make this one journey of a lifetime through the Himalayas. Waiting eagerly for more...

Hats off to HVK.. The preparation for this expedition is mindbogling and very detailed.
Thanks dreamdiesel.
HVK is proud about his accomplishment. It was indeed good to have such a person planning and guiding for the trip. I could even safely say without him most of us would not even have travelled.

Regarding my outlook, I feel always overwhelmed with things around me and it is not me but just providence that I am able to make this trip. Anything could have gone wrong, but by the grace of God nothing went wrong thankfully. Hence the title. Vanity was my favourite sin, but after being to the Himalayas - I am speechless. I was so insignificant in this world.

Last edited by laluks : 1st October 2009 at 18:54.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:08   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
The preparation for this expedition is mindbogling and very detailed.
Has to be. Ladakh is punishing terrain and lodgings are few and far between. Hotel A may be 8 hours away from Hotel B and after assuming some time lost in breakdowns, etc, one has to find a bed for the night.

Further, we did not want to drive anywhere after dark, preferring to leave our cosy hotel rooms at first light to maximise the daylight available and reach our day's destination at the earliest. Most of Ladakh dozes off by 7 pm and even in a large town like Kargil, we could not get food at 830 pm.

It is no fun to miss out any of the landscapes in the darkness, and all of us were shutter-happy.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 22:21   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

During the travelogue I have mentioned that Drass is allegedly the second coldest inhabited place in the world. You might have had a question which is the first? It is Oymyakon in Siberia.

Further I mentioned about a Glacier near SonaMarg. That one is Thajiwas Glacier, which is 4Km from the town.

I did not mention the height of Zojila - that is 3530m above sea level. The road from Sonamarg to Kargil passes very near to the Line of Control.

We had driven through Srinagar and only stopped at Dal Lake. You might have a question, Srinagar has only Dal Lake? What is near by etc. There are many parks and gardens, Mosques and Mausoleums. Some of them we had indicated by photos like the Hari Parbat fort and Hazrat bal mosque. Hariparbat fort is now occupied by the Indian Army. Hazrat bal mosque has a hair of Prophet Mohammed.

Then there is the Shankaracharya Hill.

Around Srinagar you have Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Amarnath.

Further we byepassed Jammu. In Jammu you have some Gardens, temples, a fort and a palace. Near by Jammu we have Patnitop, Vaishno Devi temple and Shiva Khori (Shivalingam formed from a stalagmite).

Now let us go on to Day 4 and Day 5 of our trip, which is Zanskar valley.
Old 1st October 2009, 22:22   #102
BHPian

@HVK and the team, Another great trip!!!.At Kargil, did you try Hotel Siachen for food.I happened to be there two times, both after 10 pm and luckily they had some nice food.Allowing trafiic through jawahar tunnel in the night is a good move, hope they keep it that way.
jack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 23:31   #103
Senior - BHPian

Kumar Sir, Finally got to read your full travelogue (atleast so far). Wonderful narration. It looks like everyone down south heading towards Leh.
I am really leh'd now. Need to do it soon.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:15   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 4, September 15th, 2009
Kargil - Panikhar - Rangdum - Pensi La - Padum (235Km)

We started from Kargil at 5:30AM. Today we were three cars, HVK's and Glenn's Scorpios and the Pajero. The Scorpios did not fill up the Jerry cans with diesel last night, but their tanks were full. The information from Kargil Petrol Pump was that there is Diesel availability in Padhum. Who knew this could turn out to be the first flaw in our otherwise meticulous planning? More of this later.

Kargil is the entry point to the Zanskar valley. Zanskar valley offers you the complete isolation you can get. During winter Zanskar is cut off from the world. The people here stock up food for their winter months. During winter people come here to trek on the frozen Zanskar river.

From Kargil till Pensi La it is the Suru Valley. The first part of the valley is green. Sanku is around 50Km from Kargil. Some treks start from here probably to Drass. We reached Sanku by 8:00AM

The views till Sanku
HumbLeh’d-dscn0437.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0442.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0462.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0481.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0501.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0503.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0460.jpg

After Sanku comes Panikhar.We took the Panikhar route to see the Nun and Kun peaks and the Parkachi Glacier which is further away from Tangole.

The views till Panikhar

HumbLeh’d-img_0471.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0480.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0481.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0484.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0530.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0538.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0550.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0508.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0511.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0541.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0578.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0549.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0585.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0564.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0593.jpg

The white snow clad mountains at a distance are the Nun & Kun I presume. The river is Suru.

Continued

Last edited by laluks : 2nd October 2009 at 00:16.
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:00   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 4, Continued

The views till Panikhar
HumbLeh’d-dscn0620.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0589.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0591.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0627.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0592.jpg

The Parkachik Glacier.
HumbLeh’d-img_0598.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0600.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0699.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0624.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0703.jpg

Guys clicking photos of parkachik glacier
HumbLeh’d-img_0608.jpg

From Tangole onwards the roadsides are deserted and barren. Further away is Rangdum, just a few houses. Here there are some teashops which will provide some food.

Views from Panikhar to Rangdum.
HumbLeh’d-dscn0661.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0674.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0692.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0695.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0706.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0647.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0649.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0656.jpg
HumbLeh’d-dscn0717.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0664.jpg
HumbLeh’d-img_0671.jpg