Old 12th October 2009, 15:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

last pic,
simply wow!!

want some more and that too, fast.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 15:20   #47
BHPian

The route taken was Vaduz –Feldkirch - BregenzLindau – Munich.

Vaduz is a beautiful city with gorgeous landscapes and breathtaking scenery, it also happens to be a banking city or rather country as you will find hundreds of professionals in business suits, numerous swiss banks, its apparently a tax free haven. We cross into Austria in an hours time, the same border crossing and this time we were not stopped and by 12 we enter Germany, not sure about the name of the town but it has a few colleges and universities. One the way we stopped at a Mac to pick up some lunch and in a few minutes we are about to enter the Autobhan.

We lost our way a couple of times and this Ausfahrt was screwing my brains coz wherever we go we find this sign, never knew this place was so popular and I momentarily stopped trusting my navigator coz we always end up at the Ausfahrt signboard. 30 minutes of circling the same place, we enter the Autobhan and then we exit and this goes on for a while. Not able to figure out what was happening, paused myself for minute and then realized “Ausfahrt” could only mean Exit, LOL. So all set to hit the Autobhan, we are 210 KM’s away from Munich. From the town road we enter Autobhan and I was aware that we are supposed to drive on the middle lane and leave the left lane for fast cars, very nervous, maintain a steady speed of 140 KMs to keep a safe distance between the car behind me and to my left goes zoom and again zoom, cars doing I guess close to 180+
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1848.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1834.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1835.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1836.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1840.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1841.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1842.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1843.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1844.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1846.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1847.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1849.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1850.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1851.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1852.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1853.jpg  

babupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 06:12   #48
BHPian

Nice pics man. In the seventh pic, the blue car looks like a Santro. Which car is that?
bigmoose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 16:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoose85 View Post
Nice pics man. In the seventh pic, the blue car looks like a Santro. Which car is that?
Thats rite, its a Santro but called "ATOS" outside India.

We reached Munich around 4 PM, had a city tour and started to search around for a hotel, most places we went did not have parking and some that had, way too expensive, we decided to drive to the outskirts and then thought why not drive all the way to Vienna to experience night driving in the German countryside.

The sun was setting and it was close to 6:30 when we started from Munich, the route on the navigator was 485 KMs, Munich – Wels – Linz – Melk - Wien. Most of the villages were shut by 7 and you could see were a few people cycling in the fields and the occasional evening walkers closer to smaller towns. Could I ever live this way? Possibly yes, in the near future.

By 9 we cross into Austria, stop at a nearby gas station to fuel as the fuel in Germany was slightly expensive compared to Austria. Pick up some snacks and chocolate for energy and continue our drive. We reach the town of Wels and as we exit from the city we lose our way again and this was a scary experience as we had taken a pine forest road, tall trees, pitch black and no civililzation in sight, the nearest exit was 7 KM away. The place was spooky, goose bump making its way all over and my wife was sensing all this, we were worried for the next 5 minutes and to make it worse, a car comes behind and he continuously flickers his lights. We are in a dilemma, whether to stop or slow down or let him pass. What can I do, all helpless, not sure where I am heading to, cannot speak a word of German. The roads are twisty, pitch black and I decided to do what I do best, DRIVE FAST. By now I was confident about the power of the Mazda 6 and step up the accelerator in an effort to be as far as I could possibly from the car behind me and in a couple of minutes of crazy speeds on narrow roads we reach the exit, some civilization at last and continue our journey.

Its 10:30 PM, and we are 200 Kms away from Vienna, there is dense fog all around and the fatigue sets in, it gets difficult to drive. We are tired and abandon all plans of reaching Vienna, look for some Zimmers on the way but most of them are shut.

We reach the town which the locals said was where World War 2 ended or as the locals call the town where the declaration was signed. Luckily the family that runs a Zimmer was closing their restaurant and had a room available for 56 Euros with Breakfast. A good place and I guess rich with history.

By 12:00 we hit the bed and the next day morning took the motorway to reach Vienna.

In Vienna we stayed at the IBIS and for the first time in my life tasted Srilankan food. The menu looked hilarious, could not control my laughter when I saw “ PITTU”(puttu in Kerala).

We love walking and walked the city of Vienna and for sights that we might have missed we made up by going to therevolving restaurant at the top of Danauturn. Donauturm (Danube Tower) has a revolving rooftop restaurant and an outdoor observation deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1855.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1857.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1875.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1878.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1879.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1880.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1881.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1884.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1888.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1889.jpg  

Old 13th October 2009, 16:44   #50
BHPian

A few more pics and some more to be uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1532.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1536.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1861.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1869.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1544.jpg  

Old 14th October 2009, 18:18   #51
BHPian

I am truly humbled to see the 5* rating especially when they are so hard to come by in Team BHP (I am sure I could have done far better, but anyways this will definitely encourage me in writing a better travelogue in the future). I feel guilty for not having contributed enough to the forum and for not letting some of the contributors know how much I have enjoyed reading their wonderful travelogues here for the last 3+ years.
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1548.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1551.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1555.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1556.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1557.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1891.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1892.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1893.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1898.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1900.jpg  

Old 15th October 2009, 05:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Europe fascinates me and i love all the threads on this continent. Beautiful thread buddy. Waiting for more.

One query: How do you manage travelling around as language can be quite a problem?? Ask this as one of my dreams is to drive on the complete autobahn!!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:49   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Europe fascinates me and i love all the threads on this continent. Beautiful thread buddy. Waiting for more.
I second that many a time over... Great pictures.
rajeevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 16:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

One query: How do you manage travelling around as language can be quite a problem?? Ask this as one of my dreams is to drive on the complete autobahn!!
@ maddy42, Wherever we have been to, language has never been a problem, even in the remote villages of austria and Switzerland they speak beautiful English, I was surprised myself. Maybe once or twice we came across people not comphrehending English, sign languages and maps and landmarks definitely helps. I guess we need to smile and approach people and that does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
I second that many a time over... Great pictures.
Thanks !

Thank you all for the support and it was a pleasure to share our travel with the BHP’ians!

We are heading home for another vacation, spending a week in Kerala and another in Bangalore, all I can think about now is India, Kerala, Bangalore, family, friends relatives and the pain of driving in Bangalore which leaves me with very little time to write more, hopefully a few more pics as and when time permits in the future I will pen down our previous trip to France.
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1546.jpg  

babupaul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 22:17   #55
BHPian

I just had a trip to a part of Europe with you Thank you so much!
noviceDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 13:41   #56
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue babupaul.nice to read the remaining part! the great thing is not many husband&wife will think about doing such a trip alone if they don't know about the places they visit and you guys did it. Really great and by the way where in blore? please pm and let me know where you are settled in bangalore, really like to meet you people. thanks for sharing the wonderful travel experience with bhpians!
Willeys78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 18:56   #57
BHPian

Excellent travelogue sir. Can you post some nice drive pictures in Germany??? Like AutoBahn...
Dhanasekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 19:34   #58
BHPian

Lucky & Brave couple!
Thanks a lot for taking many Bhpians into incredible europe tour.
sree70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 12:22   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhanasekaran View Post
Excellent travelogue sir. Can you post some nice drive pictures in Germany??? Like AutoBahn...
Unlike India there are very few designated parking bays on the Autobhan hence very little photo options and once I was on the Autobhan all I could think of was the road, speed and the cars behind me, no other thoughts could cross my mind at that speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
Lucky & Brave couple!
Thanks a lot for taking many Bhpians into incredible europe tour.
Thank you!
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:07   #60
BHPian

Default Re: Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany

Hi Babupaul,

Excellent coverage, very exciting and informative. We had been to Swiss n Austria in 2007.

Planning to do it again but this time want to self drive like you.

Will bother you in case the plan freezes.

Regards
Shamsher
Shamsher is offline   Reply With Quote