Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 12th October 2009, 14:10   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

oh is it, can someone share the email for our benefit?
Old 12th October 2009, 18:05   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
But I'm a sympathetic speaker so I often lapse into an accent similar to the person I'm speaking to.
Now that is a good thing to know.
I too have that "problem".

I just finished reading the entire thread.
Was an interesting read.

But, have you guys left out some masala as Deky had mentioned.
I'm not sure if you explained about the "gravel trap" incident.

Congrats Sam and NC.

Amazing stuff, I wouldn't even dream of doing it even though I love long drives.

Nano is one city car that you can take places and a fair bit of abuse.
Well done TATA.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:28   #453
BHPian

Sam,
I don't know how long you have owned the Nano, but after you & N_C drove it all the way to Delhi, I think you guys have driven it enough to answer the question that I would like to ask to both of you.
Would you guys recommend anyone to go for this car even at a premium that some people are selling it at?Is this car worth that premium or people are simply willing to pay the premium just because this car is not readily available.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:24   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Mumbai to Delhi in the Nano - reboot

3rd October 2009 - Approx 1pm.

As Gautam drives this little wonder of a car more or less around the 90 mark, I stare in wonder at the road around us.

It has been a long long while since I felt this free. Usually I laugh at the other Team-BHPians that drive for hours. Now I'm feeling free and alive.
It amazes me that my back doesn't hurt at all.

I have 2 other cars that I usually drive. The Lancer I could drive forever, but the Hyundai Verna has a bad seat. Something about the lumbar support is wrong.
The Nano does not have a luxurious seat like either car, but the support is just fine. I don't feel the need to step out and unwind my back.
Space is massive, my legs can stretch out all the way. If I push the backrest back, I'd be almost stretched out completely.

Gautam is driving. We're listening to music, singing loudly and peppering our conversations with colourful expletives, admiring the road and how maintained it is. Full marks to the Gujarat Government. Toll nakas are impressive, majestic sometimes.
Toll booth operators in ties typing away at computers and smiling and greeting. Each one smiles and says "Nano hai?"
YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3167_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3169_l.jpg

There are many stops where we pay 45 bucks each time. It is completely worth it.

The road is broad, well-cambered and the dividers are full of beautiful plants and flowers... butterflies dart between branches, beautiful.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3175_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3176_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3178_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3186_l.jpg

One poor beautiful butterfly darts our way by mistake and the Nano windshield makes quick work of him. Sad.
YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3161_l.jpg

The sky is bright blue and it isn't that way through my polaroids, it really is clean and blue. The road is well marked, clean and clear signs give us every bit of information we need.
YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3164_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3189_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3190_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3192_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3196_l.jpg
Indeed.

And that's when we spot the one sign that matters the most.
YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3193_l.jpg

Another 278 kms before we call it a day.

The time now is about 2pm. We've been on the road for about 9 hours, of which we have driven for about 7.5 hours.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:32   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Would you guys recommend anyone to go for this car even at a premium that some people are selling it at?Is this car worth that premium or people are simply willing to pay the premium just because this car is not readily available.
TATA intend to roll out 10,000 cars by January end. It won't be much a novelty then - it is now.

Is the car worth 1.7 lakhs without AC and 2.10lakhs with? Yes, totally. But with premium - expecting to pay close to 2.5lakhs - i would rather buy an Alto.
Sure the Alto does not have the oomph factor of a Nano (nor the interior space) but I think the greatest thing about the Nano (apart from its very cute shape) is the fact that people simply expect nothing from it.
  • Accha 4 doors hai?
  • Accha stepney hai?
  • Arrey waaah, AC bhi hai?
  • Really? The car can go faster than 80?
  • Sachi? 4 people can sit inside?
And yet, we're a nation that expects so much from the humble Maruti Alto which currently costs just a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
But, have you guys left out some masala as Deky had mentioned.
I'm not sure if you explained about the "gravel trap" incident.
Nano is one city car that you can take places and a fair bit of abuse.
Well done TATA.
We haven't left out anything.

The thread is far from over. I am telling my story in a relaxed manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naja5111 View Post
I am wondering how is car functioning now? Is there any problem after this long drive ?
None whatsoever. After we reached New Delhi, the car was sent to a TATA service station for her first service. Everything was in order, everything was fine. It was a routine service as far as they were concerned.

They were pretty amused to see the MH numberplate though.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2009, 14:11   #456
BHPian

Congrats Sam and NC.

Wonderful blog and immaculate blogging.

I've read this blog today from page 1 to 31 and it was quite an experience. Almost as if I was travelling with you guys.

One of the members had asked an question to you but I guess you skipped it. I'll repost it for you: Will a person sitting on the back seat in the NANO on a long drive (600-700kms) feel uncomfortable considering the engine heat from the floor??

I've travelled from Udaipur to Jaipur via chittorgarh/kishangarh and covered those 400 kms in 4 hrs in my indica. That's a wonderful stretch to drive.

Kudos to you and NC for such a nice experience & feedback.

Hope to see more detailed report/pics from you.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:10   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will a person sitting on the back seat in the NANO on a long drive (600-700kms) feel uncomfortable considering the engine heat from the floor??
The engine is just behind the back seat floor. The Aircon is super-powerful so the 2 people in front will not feel the heat.
Everything kept in the storage space will be kept a healthy 60 to 65 degrees.

And yes, unfortunately, my answer is yes. If there was someone in the backseat and we were driving 600kms, that person would have had a tandoori bum.

And on that happy note: here is the next video installment.

Old 13th October 2009, 19:18   #458
Senior - BHPian

"This road could be anywhere in Europe and would be the same" amazing...

Way to go Gujarat.
Old 13th October 2009, 19:20   #459
BHPian

Dudes,
I envy you guys man...
I want to drive down to Delhi.
Hopefully I'll get down to it sooner rather than later.

Quote:
And of course we spot that.

Attachment 204303

This dude wasn't standing up for a while. This Mukaddar ka Sikandar insisted on riding continuously like this. Hilarious.
but about this Biker, if you ride long distances, you will either have to stop to take a break or ride standing up.

I've done long stretches from Bombay to Goa standing up.

you'll get a painfully numb bum otherwise.

Now I can imagine why all those guys in cars were staring at me.

1> Was standing up and riding.
2> Was wearing an overly large military jacket and
3> Football shorts
Old 13th October 2009, 19:31   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If there was someone in the backseat and we were driving 600kms, that person would have had a tandoori bum.

I am sitting here in my office attending a Webex meeting (yawn), just missed my 730 cab and the bum made me gham fly away..!!!

thanks...
Old 13th October 2009, 19:51   #461
Senior - BHPian

A long distance trip on the Nano !! Wow !! Has Rattan Tata heard of it ? I'd be scared to drive a little car on a cross country drive.

Kudos to you guys...how is she doing so far ??

Rivetted to this thread

All the best !!!!!!!!!
Old 13th October 2009, 19:57   #462
BHPian

Quote:
  • Accha 4 doors hai?
  • Accha stepney hai?
  • Arrey waaah, AC bhi hai?
  • Really? The car can go faster than 80?
  • Sachi? 4 people can sit inside?
And yet, we're a nation that expects so much from the humble Maruti Alto which currently costs just a little more.

That's because people don't expect all this to be in a 1 Lac car.Most people are not aware that this car costs almost as much as the other cars they are comparing it with.
Old 13th October 2009, 20:45   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quite an incredible story, Sam and NC. Makes for a great read!
Old 14th October 2009, 12:41   #464
BHPian

Thumbs up

I have been following up this thread right from the day it started and it has been a happy reading all these days (like any other thread by Sam)

I never considered Nano and dont think i will because power and performance are very high up in my priorities (i make every horse out of the 120 horses of my Lancer INVEX dance on 2 toes).

When Nano was launched, my take on it (rather sarcastic view on it) was that there are going to be be few more underpowered vehicles along with the crappy trucks and old cabs in the right/middle lane with some senior citizen/aunty/teenager behind the wheels blocking the fast cars .

But reading about the overall riding experience and 90kmph drive by Gautam and Sam made me feel good.

Well, Sam I have gone through most of your threads and i must say, I am your big fan . You have not just inspired me to take up a long drive soon but may be i too will end up writing about my experiences (although it can not be as intresting and funny as yours )

Last edited by Dippy : 14th October 2009 at 12:51. Reason: Please note that a maximum of two smileys is allowed per post. We advise you to go through the rules. Thanks.
Old 14th October 2009, 13:17   #465
Senior - BHPian

I parked my car and took my bag - got into an auto and told him to take me to Bandra. With my i-pod playing, I settled down to a nice cool ride (no traffic on that day) from Powai to Bandra. The auto guy knew or he sensed that I was going on a vacation - he was Ssssllllllooooooooowwwwwww. Not that I minded. Finally reached Sam's place, paid the auto and walked into the building gate.

The Nano was parked facing the gate and I walked upto to it and stopped. Slowly took a walk round the car and stopped again - scratched my chin, scratched the back of my head, shook my head and proceeded to Sam's place.

Called up Jenny to open the door as Sam said he would be sleeping. Jenny told me Sam was awake. I said "Cool. I want to talk to him" .

Ding dong. Sam opens the door and I say - "That car is too small to make it to Delhi. We cannot drive to Delhi in that. I don't know whether it can make it !"

Then I see 4-5 bags strewn over the floor and Sam says we are carrying these too, alongwith a jerry can and 4-5 plastic bags and a cooler box. I was shocked.

After about 15 minutes of chit chat - we decide that we are going to drive Delhi.
Closed Thread