Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 16th October 2009, 20:41   #481
BHPian

@Sam Nice videos especially the Vintage one. The butterfly that was on the initial videos was not dead was it?.

In the last video, the song that was playing was sounding quite good. Which one was it. I need to download it
Old 19th October 2009, 10:37   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Mumbai to Delhi in the Nano - Day Two

The alarm has rung thrice already.

Neither Gautam nor I are truly making any effort.

Jaa tu.
Hmm.
Snooze daba.

5 has turned to 5.30. By the time we're up, showered, packed and out ot is already 6am. What I am sensing is that the apprehension and nervousness has been replaced with confidence.
We did about 800 clicks yesterday. With time to spare.

Had we been in a car that went faster, we could have actually done Ajmer yesterday itself. Had we wanted to and had we not stopped on the way (at Navsari and at Kathwada for the vintage cars) we could have easily done Ajmer too.

So by now we're pretty confident of doing this.

We didn't feel tired last night, but the toll has shown while waking up. We're both groggy and dull and a bit grumpy too. I make some coffee and we sip it in silence.

Good morning sir, checkout?
Yes. Did your colleague tell you about my ice?
Ice sir?
Yes. Ice cubes. We paid for them last night and he said they were already in the freezer waiting for us.
OK sir, I'll check.

I go outside, unlock the car, take the icebox out. Chocolates, drinks all in stock - unsurprisingly, the ice inside has turned to water. I empty the ice box, turn the water out onto the lawns and go back in.

As I stand at the reception, I realize that no one has any clue of the ice or anything of my request.

But I even paid in advance and he said the ice was there already!

He now calls his colleague on the phone (at 6.30am!) who confirms that the ice is ready in a pack with room 214 written on the packet.

Sir woh kal raat ko party thi, woh to use ho gayi.

I whip my head towards the waiter angrily. The reception guy gives me a calm-down nod and runs into the kitchen himself. 10 minutes later he’s out. One look at his face and I know.

There's no ice. I'm really angry now. Of course he returns my stupid 100 rupees, but now we have no ice. You may laugh, but when you're thinking of driving for the next 15 hours in a small car, you want something to look forward to. Something to keep the energy going.

I know it's not his fault but I give him a piece of my mind. He directs me to the Udaipur Ice Factory.

And so it came to pass that very, very early in the morning Sam and NC drove through the narrow streets and bylanes of Udaipur till they found an ice factory.

And then we were in business.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2009, 10:56   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Mumbai to Delhi in the Nano - Day Two

It may be an hour later than we thought, but we're now on our way to Ajmer.

We should have taken NH79. But nobody told us that. We should have taken NH79 from Udaipur to Chittorgarh and from then on to Nasirabad and them to Kishingarh.
But we stuck to NH8 - asking for the way to Ajmer.

This route took away all our time, but we had no regrets as this was one of the most beautiful parts of our journey.
Heavy rains were falling in Mumbai and Goa, Rajasthan temperatures had fallen a lot.
This morning, we were driving on a narrow and winding NH8, going up the Aravallis and the outside air was a delicious 15 degrees at the most.

The AC is off and we're admiring the beauty of the hills. We will drive to Nathdwara and more on our way to Ajmer.
We take some fun videos with NC hanging completely out of a very slow moving car (that will come next)

We're singing and laughing. The grogginess is gone and is replaced by a wee bit of overconfidence.
One hour into the journey, we even decide to stop for a photobreak.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_34001_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3401_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3403_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3404_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3405_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3406_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3409_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3411_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3412_l.jpg

It is truly wonderful. The road is winding through old castles and forts. We see men and women with their fluorescent clothes. Camels, fields and more.
YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3425_l.jpg

The road is narrow and has only one lane on either side. How can this be the NH8 we wonder.

Still it is beautiful. We cross Nathdwara and the kilometres and kilometres of Marble shops and finally another hour and a half later, stop by a lake. Gorgeous.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3415_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3416_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3417_l.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_3418_l.jpg

As we stand by the lake I realise that today, we're relaxed and enjoying ourselves. We're having fun. But I also realise that the road is narrow and twisty and we're not making much time.
If we maintain this speed, I will not make it in time for my evening engagement.

Still, the road from Jaipur to Delhi will be good and fast. Golden Quadrilateral and all. I wonder if it will be even better than Gujarat...

I'm just happy to be here. Happy to have this wonderful little small car, happy to have my wonderful friend, happy to share this little adventure with my online family on TBHP...

Here's a big hello from the Yeti® and Normally_crazy. Thanks for enjoying our story. There is more to come, stay tuned.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_34241_l.jpg
Old 19th October 2009, 11:10   #484
BHPian

Staying Tuned we all are... But Sam seriously, you should consider maintaining a BLOG.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:04   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It may be an hour later than we thought, but we're now on our way to Ajmer.

We should have taken NH79. But nobody told us that. We should have taken NH79 from Udaipur to Chittorgarh and from then on to Nasirabad and them to Kishingarh.
But we stuck to NH8 - asking for the way to Ajmer.
Hi Sam & NC,

Nice to see your writeups going up parallely

and Sam, i did tell you about the alternate route, maybe you might have missed it amongst all the posts..!! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1508466 (YetiBlog® - The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!)

Glad that you made it in time and now eagerly waiting for the full story
Old 19th October 2009, 17:57   #486
Senior - BHPian

It has been a wonderful read for the last 33 pages...
Staying tuned now for the next set of updates!
Old 19th October 2009, 19:37   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This morning, we were driving on a narrow and winding NH8, going up the Aravallis and the outside air was a delicious 15 degrees at the most.

The AC is off and we're admiring the beauty of the hills. We will drive to Nathdwara and more on our way to Ajmer.
We take some fun videos with NC hanging completely out of a very slow moving car (that will come next)
Here you are: as promised, here is clip 11.

Old 19th October 2009, 19:53   #488
Senior - BHPian

Checked this thread ages ago but, being the impatient reader that I am, I decided to check back later when the story was well underway. Now one can say that the story is truly underway after a wonderful treatment of the opening credits by the authors.

This is a YetiBlog in the old mould with a few new things thrown in, no I am not referring to the Nano, I was referring to the fact that this is the first time the Yeti has tamed a video cam.

The Yeti himself has been tamed (and domesticated). Notice how female charectors (old classmates, travel companions from old trips, acquaintainces of friends, etc. etc.) no longer pop up up every few km., earleir the scenery was liberally dotted with the species and several afternoons were spent in their convival company. TheOne definitely has made her mark on TBHP!

Seeing the JBL logo on the car, I wondered how many tonnes of weight has been added into the Nano in the form of damping, speakers, boxes, amps, batteries etc. and how the poor Nano would deal with all that additional weight as well as the power demands of the equipment. I guess that I will now have to wait for the thread on the pimping of the Nano to figure that out but, I cannot help but wonder how the little engine is going to cope with the demands for electricity that Sam's 'pimping' is bound to create.

This trip and travelogue have put to rest the doubts raised here as elsewhere. What is the big deal? People have been driving thousands of kilometres in much older cars like the Landmaster, Ambassador, Fiat 1100, Morris minor etc. The roads those days were mere strips of tarmac running into the horizon with numerous narrow culverts, causeways, narrow bridges etc. One thing those old roads had was several shady trees on either side which kept the heat (and dust to some extent) at bay. These were trips before airconditioning and the Ice-box was the star of many a trip. One of my most cherished 'heirlooms' inherited by me from my father is:

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-100_2290.jpg

Yups, that is an icebox! Made of plastic and filled with some lightweight insulation material. A veteran of several road-trips over the decades.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-100_2291.jpg

IIRC this was purchased sometime in the mid 1970's as soon as they were available. My dad earlier had one of those ice-boxes made out of sheet metal and filled with glass wool - that thing weighed a tonne and took up a fair bit of boot space.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-100_2293.jpg

Made by "Brite". Seems that they are no longer available.

Now back to the story by NC & Sam.

Cheers,
Old 19th October 2009, 21:36   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys! I'm disappointed.

The Ice Box wasn't Electric?
Old 19th October 2009, 23:01   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Guys! I'm disappointed.

The Ice Box wasn't Electric?
You must be kidding! The fuse blew with one IPod and one GPS display connected. In any case all of the 'juice' is reserved for the ICE that is going to be put in, then the Nano becomes a Petrol ICE Box.

No offence intended to either the ICE guys or the Nano. Both are now well proven. I just could not help myself and had to make that crack.

Cheers,
Old 20th October 2009, 02:27   #491
Senior - BHPian

Default Call sign change for N_C

Normally_Crazy! that is an understatement. After the contortionist act with the camera you should be called Totally_Crazy, complete with a new line of business :Crazy Circus Company. What were you thinking? rather, were you thinking at all!

Seriously amazing shots especially where you zoom onto the truck ahead and then pan back to the road behind while you are hanging out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

The Yeti himself has been tamed (and domesticated). Notice how female charectors (old classmates, travel companions from old trips, acquaintainces of friends, etc. etc.) no longer pop up up every few km., earleir the scenery was liberally dotted with the species and several afternoons were spent in their convival company. TheOne definitely has made her mark on TBHP!

Cheers,
Ravveendraa, it seems there are still some wild oats that the Yeti has yet to sow, 7 odd in the morning and he has his sights set on Rajasthani beauties at 90Kmph.
Old 20th October 2009, 06:48   #492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I present to you a video that I suspect will be extremely popular.
Why did you put a song about American "Woman" by a Canadian rock group for a cars that were more European than American? I did see some old American models but I suspect the majority were still European.

BTW (OT warning) get "Live at the Paramount" killer album espcially when played on a pair of Rowland Research powered Klipschorns!
Old 20th October 2009, 13:07   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
You must be kidding! The fuse blew with one IPod and one GPS display connected. In any case all of the 'juice' is reserved for the ICE that is going to be put in, then the Nano becomes a Petrol ICE Box.

So... where was the windmill generator; where were the solar cells?

Old 20th October 2009, 14:14   #494
BHPian

Absolutely rivetting stuff. I started to read this at 12:30 and its already 2:00 great work SAM, am amazed by the following that you have generated, over a 1500 km drive over the country's finest roads.

Kudos to your uncanny style of commentary., This thread is truly one of the best.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:45   #495
BHPian

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-copy-snc00148.jpg

Came across this red Nano.All other Nano photos I have come across had the same paint inside the front boot as the color of the car but this one doesn't.Is this just cost cutting at the Tata end or this car has been repainted or what?
Also, in the same car the speakers have been installed in the rear parcel tray.As Sam has mentioned that the rear gets really hot ,wouldn't that much engine heat damage the speakers?
Closed Thread