Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th October 2009, 22:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Go / No Go decision

As it is, we were peeved at the lousy roads after Hospet, and we did not know what lay in store for us. All that we knew was that the last few kms to Shimoga were bad owing to road widening, per Ravi Bhat.

After tea, my friend took over and we were intent on reaching Shimoga a.s.a.p. by the shortest route, which was about 115 kms away. But as soon as he started the car, he noticed one of the malfunction lights glowing constantly on the dash. We got tensed up a bit. He switched off the car and started it, and that darn light glowed again.

We were appalled at that, as we did not know what that was. But the car was running fine and also moving normally, when we experimentally tried to do so. My mind was racing---'Oh no, why did this have to happen so soon?' The thought of driving back to Hospet and Hyd was also not such a great idea because of the lousy road near Hospet. Moverover, we had covered nearly 560 kms already.

I asked my pal to contact Hyundai at Hyderabad, but there was no response as it was a Sunday. I asked him to read the manual, and we found out that it was the light concerning the catalytic converter. I was a bit releived at knowing that, as I knew it was not a criticall component.I felt that at most we would be polluting the atmosphere a bit more, and the locals there deserved it for the bad roads they were tolerating
But we badly wanted to talk to a service advisor so that he confirms our feelings---the manual said that if it keeps glowing, drive straight to a an authorized workshop. The darn thing did not specify the effect of non-compliance.

The service manual showed a Hyundai branch at Davangere and one more at Shimoga in that region. We debated whether we should divert to Davangere (approx 50 kms away, I think). But we knew for sure nobody would be there on a Sunday. to make matters worse, the next day was Dussera, and surely it would be a holiday. So we thought it was better to drive to Shimoga and consult Hyundai on Monday by finding out their number from the showroom watchman.

So we started with bated breath and prayers on a twilight road, that soon started winding around a small thicket. We also saw the fort and many more windmills to our left, but our tension did not allow us to enjoy the view. The number of windmills in Chitradurga were as many as the ones near Livermore in California, if not more.

The road had some bad patches and some bottom-scraping speed breakers----Karnataka takes the cake for having the largest speed breakers---we'd bottomed out twice near Raichur, once near Hospet and twice on the way to Shimoga.

It started getting dark and lonely, and the woods were getting thicker. At one place, when we were taking a giant speed breaker diagonally, the engine stalled, and every damn light on the dash was glowing. It was the scariest part of the drive---pitch darkness all around, not a soul in sight, and forest around us. To make matters worse, there was no cell network. Panic gripped me, and my mind started racing. How do we proceed? A family stuck in the middle of nowhere, and that too in a forest. It may not even be safe to walk. I looked around and noticed palpable tension on all faces.

Last edited by vnabhi : 4th October 2009 at 22:23.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 12:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

After what seemed to be a zillion seconds, which was actually 5 to 10 seconds, my pal started the car and it sprang back to life---all warning lights went off save the catalytic converter light that we'd got used to by then. Actually the car had stalled owing to low speed and probably wrong clutch action, which happens sometimes in the city to most of us.Phew, all of us heaved a sigh of relief, and hoped it was true!

We continued and the car was responding quite normally, so much so that even the coarse sound was getting smoother, and the pickup getting back to normal. We were about 30 kms from Shimoga then.

After driving in darkness for some time, we reached a broad, patchy, kutcha road alongside a huge pond on the left in a village, and soon after that we reached a 3-road junction, with nary a signboard anywhere.

We asked some guys in a hutment for directions to Shimoga and they pointed at the road straight ahead (I wonder where the other 2 roads led to, but they looked broader). The road started getting worse, and we were around 11 kms from Shimoga. The road got narrower and filled with potholes, and driving beyond 2nd gear was impossible. This apart, 2 or 3 private buses zoomed by us while we could not move faster than a snail's pace. How I wish we'd had an SUV!

But Ravi Bhat had cautioned us that the approach road to Shimoga was getting re-laid for 10 kms, and we were prepared for it, but never imagined it would be so bad. It took us nearly 45 minutes to traverese those bone-jarring 11 kms, and that was an acid test to the fully-loaded car's suspension. I saw a headlight behind that seemed to be flashing his headlight, but my pal said it was a mobike following us, and he was not flashing his llights---it was the bumps on the road that gave us that impression!

We reached Shimoga around 8 pm and the roads in that place were good. The town was much bigger than Hospet,and had good, broad roads, with a divider---this was way above our expectations.

We sought directions to Hotel Jewel Rock (I remembered that name from many travelogues), and almost everyone in town seemed to know where it was. We reached the hotel and I asked the receptionist for 2 rooms, but was disheartened to hear, 'Sorry sir, no rooms till tomorrow morning'. We told him even a large single non AC room with extra mattresses would do, and after some cross-checking he agreed. We were releived to get a huge room with a drawing room for Rs 1400 inclusive of extra beds.

So we dined, wined and crashed to bed at 10 pm. We found out that the Hyundai showroom was right opposite the hotel. We were however sceptical if it would open on Monday becuase it was Dasshera.
Old 5th October 2009, 12:49   #18
BHPian

Nice write up eagerly awating what happened at Shimoga.You could have tried the other route to Shimoga that is after crossing Hospet and the dam there is route going to Harpanahalli and then to Harihar.It would also take the same time as you had done to Shimoga prabably you could have avoided the last bone-jarring 11 kms nearing Shimoga.

Last edited by gajadonga : 5th October 2009 at 12:51. Reason: Spelling
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 13:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Nice write up eagerly awating what happened at Shimoga.You could have tried the other route to Shimoga that is after crossing Hospet and the dam there is route going to Harpanahalli and then to Harihar.It would also take the same time as you had done to Shimoga prabably you could have avoided the last bone-jarring 11 kms nearing Shimoga.
Thanks---that is exactly the route the receptionist at Malligi Hotel was recommending, but I'd forgotten those names. But I thought it was a route taken by buses and trucks and had more faith on a National Highway than on an unknown State Highway.
Old 5th October 2009, 13:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks---that is exactly the route the receptionist at Malligi Hotel was recommending, but I'd forgotten those names. But I thought it was a route taken by buses and trucks and had more faith on a National Highway than on an unknown State Highway.
I did the same mistake while travelling from Hyderabad to Hampi. Apparently in Karntaka the SH's are much better than NH
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 13:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I did the same mistake while travelling from Hyderabad to Hampi. Apparently in Karntaka the SH's are much better than NH
MC, that is partly correct. From our recent experience we can say that the state highways in Karnataka are either par excellence (they even put National Highways to shame) or border on being the worst roads in India---to cut a long story short, there are no good state highways or bad ones in Karnataka, but they are either excellent or terrible. Period!
Old 5th October 2009, 13:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 3 Sep 28th, Monday (Dasshera)

We woke up the next morning after a good rest, and finished breakfast by 845, and checked out by 9 am. Meantime, my pal had got the car cleaned early in the morning, and found that the catalytic converter light was no longer glowing. Therefore we abandoned our plan of getting hold of a Hyundai service advisor and started our journey to Jog Falls via Sagar.

The DTE showed around 380 kms of fuel left, so we decided not to tank up till most of the fuel was exhausted, though we were informed by Ravibhat that an IOC bunk at Shimoga accepts credit card payment.

The road from Shimoga to Sagar was simply great and scenic. We crossed a lion safari on the way (we did not even know that it existed till we passed it). We reached Sagar by 10 am and it was around 90 kms away from Shimoga. Here are a couple of pics:-

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-424.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-425.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-428.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-430.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-431.jpg
Old 5th October 2009, 14:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good report, I wanted to suggest you that direct route from Hospet to Shimoga but not sure of recent road condition as 10 years back it was not good. It crosses many villages and there is chances of confusion about directions. But good to hear that road is in good condition.

Roads are very bad near Shimoga, worst than expectation when I travelled couple of days back.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 5th October 2009 at 14:09.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 14:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Good report, I wanted to suggest you that direct route from Hospet to Shimoga but not sure of recent road condition as 10 years back it was not good. It crosses many villages and there is chances of confusion about directions. But good to hear that road is in good condition.

Roads are very bad near Shimoga, worst than expectation when I travelled couple of days back.

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi. We followed your advice to the hilt for enjoying a more comprehesive tour of Jog Falls and pretty much enjoyed it. We took the left after Talaguppa (don't remember the correct name) and went to Jog via that Rajiv Gandhi bridge.The scenery that unfolded was fantastic!
But somehow we missed that railway station we had talked about---i don't even remember crossing railway tracks.
Old 5th October 2009, 15:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

While travelling through the one-horse town named Sagar, we reached a T-Junction where we had to turn left towards Jog and Honnavar. We then crossed Talaguppa village and I was keenly looking out for the left turn suggested by Ravi.

We asked a couple of guys on a motorbike the way to Linganamakki reservoir, and they pointed to the Y Jn ahead, where the right takes you directly to Jog and Honnavar, and the left to Jog Falls via a slightly longer, but very scenic route.

Here are some pics:-

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-433.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-435.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-438.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-440.jpg
Old 5th October 2009, 16:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default The roaring Jog Falls

After taking some shots of the Linganamakki reservoir, we set off to Jog and reached the falls in 15 minutes. Paid Rs 25 toll and looked for a place to park the car. As soon as we got out, some guides offered to help us. We hired one Richard who spoke a smattering of English and Telugu.

He took us to the most important points to be seen for a discounted fee of Rs 100/-.

Here are the pics:-

The falls from various angles

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-444.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-445.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-446.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-447.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-450.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-449.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-451.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-452.jpg

Last edited by vnabhi : 5th October 2009 at 16:57.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics, courtesy our guide, Richard, who knew all the vista points:-

The power generating unit and the valley beyond:-

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-442.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-443.jpg
Old 5th October 2009, 17:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

A new private guest house in the making, and a place for wetting one's feet if one decides not to climb down 1000 steps to the base of the falls:-

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-455.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-456.jpg
Old 5th October 2009, 17:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics from another vista point. It was 1 pm by then and we paid our guide (gave him double the amount) and we decided to set off to Goa via Honnavar.

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-457.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-458.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-459.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-460.jpg

From Humming @ Hampi to Jogging at Jog to going Gaga over Goa to ambling over Amboli-canon-448.jpg
Old 6th October 2009, 11:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Good T-Logue

Good writeup,thank goodness you came out unscathed with the Hyundai episode and the now infamous floods.Waiting to read the Amboli part of your trip

Amazed to see such a well kept pool @ Malligi.I remember Hospet a long time back it was one helluva dusty place.Any pics of the hotel or the rooms?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote