Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th October 2009, 14:26   #1
BHPian

Default Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi

The various travelogues that I read on team-bhp were amazing. But I could hardly see any travelogues on a Dzire Zdi, other than dushmish's enviable trip. So here goes my short weekend trip to Mahabalipuram:

23-Sep-2009
It's been a long day in office. The long weekend is coming up, and I'm really tempted to hit the road.

To give some background, I got my Sovereign Blue DZire Zdi just 2 months back after an agonizing 4 month waiting period. Just two days after I got the delivery, we had made an impromptu 3-day trip to Coonoor. This is my first diesel car, and I was simply blown away by the superb torque delivery and refinement. Overtaking was a breeze, and stability and driving pleasure was just too good. Slope or plains, A/c switched on or off, 2 people or 4 people - it hardly makes any difference in the driving experience. Coming from a petrol background, these were really big plus points. Even after driving for 7 hours to Coonoor, I was absolutely not tired. Thanks to the tons of information on team-bhp, I'm really happy with my choice of the car. After I was back from Coonoor, I promised myself that I would hit the road again as soon as I could.

Anyway, coming back home, we discuss where to go. Various options come up, and finally we decide on Mahabalipuram. Since it is a last minute plan (as usual), accomodation for the long weekend was going to be a problem. All the popular hotels were fully booked, and the only once place available on makemytrip.com was "Shelter Beach Resorts". This made my life super easy - I didn't have to decide :-). Booked this place immediately for 2 nights.

26-Sep-2009
We start at 7:15 am. We had finished packing the previous day to save time. The weather is really amazing, and the city's quiet all around. I can hear the sweet whistle of the turbo, and soon we hit Hosur road. Over the last one month, the engine has become more and more refined and quieter. I can hardly hear the clatter, though sometimes there's a clatter between 1500-1800 RPM when I throttle *very gently*. Hope this goes away as I clock up the miles. Swift/DZire owners, please share your inputs here.

By the time we reach Hosur, it's already 9:15am, thanks to heavy traffic jams at regular intervals. There's a lot of road construction/repairs going on in this area. I was really suprised by the traffic jams at this time. Stopped at A2B for a quick breakfast. The place is jam-packed, and there's a long queue just to buy tokens. Food is good, but nothing to write home about. Soon we're on our way to Krishnagiri. Traffic is now very light, and roads are flat and smooth. Strangely, there are lots of butterflies on the road. Many hit my windshield and leave various colours. Felt really sorry for them. I maintain a speed between 100-110 Kmph. I hit 130 Kmph for a short while, but get a little scared to maintain this speed. A speed like this requires a lot more concentration, and I don't want to tire myself.

Reach Kanchipuram. There are flags and flags all around. We see them wherever we turn our eyes. It's about some DMK rally happening on that day. We're supposed to pass through Kanchipuram to reach Chengalpet. We enter Kanchipuram, but the town's a mess with chaos all around. The cops have converted the roads to one-ways, and nobody knows how to point us to the Chengalpet direction. Many say that it's impossible to pass through, and advise going through the Chennai bypass. We follow this suggestion, and backtrack all the way to the highway. Stop for lunch on the way, at Sherlock Holmes (what a strange name) restaurant. Thanks to this rally, it takes us 2 hours more to reach Mahabalipuram. Why can't these politicians realize the trouble that they're causing to people all around them?

Reach our resort in Mahabalipuram at 4.15PM. We were pleasantly surprised by the location. The back side of the resort opens up to the beach. We go to our room, freshen up, and hit the beach. There's a pleasant breeze and the beach is not crowded. Once it started getting dark, we go back to the hotel, and then drive down to Mahabalipuram town. Ate at a nice restaurant called Moonrakers, and came back to our resort.

A few photos on the way to Mahabalipuram. The last one is of the East Coast Road.

To be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1154.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1164.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1168.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1177.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1183.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1487.jpg  

PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 16:19   #2
BHPian

Nice trip
How may KM you have covered
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 12:28   #3
BHPian

Hey Pearl Jab! Good work, i hope that the remaining would also be as good as this, nice narration. How did the vehicle behave enroute? What was the FE?
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 13:12   #4
BHPian

Thanks aka_iitd, Majic. I'll be writing more about the next two days, and will definately reply to your points!
Old 6th October 2009, 18:23   #5
BHPian

27-Sep-2009
Get up by 8am and go to the restaurant for the included buffet breakfast, which was pretty good. The previous night we had shortlisted the places that we wanted to see, so we go to the reception at 8:45 to enquire about the rates for hiring a taxi. One thing that I generally do on every trip is, I never take my car for the local sightseeing. It's painful to ask for directions, worry about parking, do sightseeing, and come back all sweaty into *your own car* and then drive to the next point. Since you're anyway on a holiday, why not spend a few bucks more and travel in comfort, is my motto . So hire an A/c Indica for Rs.800 to see all the must-see places.

The taxi arrives at 9:30am and we visit all the sights like the Shore temple, Arjuna's penance, Five Rathas, Lighthouse, and Tiger cave, to name a few. Come back to our resort at 2:30 and head straight for lunch. The lunch is excellent, though service is slow. It takes 45 minutes for our food to arrive. After that, we go back, freshen up, and drive down in our car (Feels good driving my own car!) to the Crocodile and snake park at 5:30pm. A well maintained park, we got to see the snake venom extraction too. Hats off to the workers who were handling the snakes expertly, I was really impressed with their skills! They point to an ambulance nearby in case something goes wrong

After this, we drive down to Mahabalipuram to experience the general feel of the town. On the way, fill up Rs. 500/- worth of diesel (not more, because he wasn't giving a bill, and I didn't want to take a risk in case of adultration). Decide to go to GRT for dinner, though I was dreading the feeling of looking at the bill. Rooms here are super expensive at Rs.9000/- per day, but looked extremely classy. Finish dinner and head back to our resort.

28-Sep-2009
We had seen all the tourist places in and around Mahabalipuram the previous day, and the only place remaining was the Dakshinachitra heritage village. Did not keep any morning alarm, and got up lazily at 9 am for breakfast. Then we decide to checkout of the resort by 10.30am and proceed to Dakshinachitra, which is about 14 Kms towards Chennai. The tickets at Dakshinchitra priced at Rs.75/-, and is worth every bit. It takes us 3 hours, and we actually skip some parts due to shortage of time. They have done up traditional houses for different states like Kerala, AndhraPradesh, etc, really well. We also got to see the glass blowing techniques. By the time we leave, it's almost 2:15 pm. Fill up diesel for another Rs.500/- and we're off to Bangalore via Kanchipuram.

The state highway is 2-lane, but superbly maintained. I easily touch 90 Kmph, and we reach Kanchipuram by 3:45pm. Stop for lunch at Saravana Bhavan, and then proceed to Bangalore. I maintain a speed between 80 - 90 Kmph, and reach home at 9:00PM.

Experiences with the DZire
The Dzire was a real pleasure to drive. Especially on highways where you want to overtake, the sudden boost that I get after 1900RPM is pure joy! The engine always seems so eager for spirited driving, right from the time you start it. Auto-climate control was a boon. Temperatures outside touched 40 degrees, but cooling at 25.5 degrees was perfect. I've done 2600 Kms and there are no dreaded rattles so far, as reported by Swift owners, so I hope Maruti has fixed this problem. The headlights are a little dim as reported by some owners, and I plan to upgrade the bulbs soon. Also, coming from a superb setup of Blaupunkt HU, Blaupunkt amplifier, and Infinity reference speakers in my old Wagon R, the the audio quality of the integrated HU wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. They should have provided more features like USB and bluetooth integration, especially since the competition is doing so.

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram was 425 Kms, thanks to the diversion we had to take. Mahabalipuram-Bangalore was 360 Kms. Local driving was 57 Kms. Total 842 Kms.
Overall fuel efficiency with 95% A/c - 23.2 Kms/litre!

A few snaps attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1240.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1245.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1264.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1275.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1293.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1308.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1327.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1352.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1368.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1397.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1426.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1482.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1497.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1499.jpg  

Bangalore-Mahabalipuram and back in a DZire Zdi-img_1501.jpg  

Old 6th October 2009, 18:46   #6
BHPian

Thats a awesome writeup. I am amazed by the photos.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 20:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

How is the service at Shelter Beach Resort ? I stayed there about 2 years back when I was at ECR for a weekend rave party and absolutely hated the place. Food was bad and so was the service. Everyone there behaved like they were doing you a favor inspite of paying 3500/- for a night.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 21:05   #8
BHPian

Nice travelogue! Good pics. I liked the pics of the inside in the dark. Gives a cockpit feel. You got an amazing mileage. Appreciate that you dirve on controlled speeds. The car is so silent inside. See if you can change to Mobil MX oil. I use a mix. It will become even more silent.

The sound you are referring to between 1500 to 1800 cold be due to lugging. You seem to be shifting to higher gears a bit too early. It is a common mistake people make when they move from petrol to diesel engines. Give it some extra revvs and the sound is gone.

All the best!
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 22:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Thats a awesome writeup. I am amazed by the photos.
Thanks ElantraGT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
How is the service at Shelter Beach Resort ? I stayed there about 2 years back when I was at ECR for a weekend rave party and absolutely hated the place. Food was bad and so was the service. Everyone there behaved like they were doing you a favor inspite of paying 3500/- for a night.
The food was excellent, though service was extremely slow. The waiters were friendly, but communication was sometimes a problem because they know very limited english. The rooms were new and clean, and the A/c was silent and powerful. In short, a very comfortable stay. With so many resorts on ECR now, I guess they cannot afford to throw attitude anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Nice travelogue! Good pics. I liked the pics of the inside in the dark. Gives a cockpit feel. You got an amazing mileage. Appreciate that you dirve on controlled speeds. The car is so silent inside. See if you can change to Mobil MX oil. I use a mix. It will become even more silent.

The sound you are referring to between 1500 to 1800 cold be due to lugging. You seem to be shifting to higher gears a bit too early. It is a common mistake people make when they move from petrol to diesel engines. Give it some extra revvs and the sound is gone.

All the best!
Thanks dushmish! Yes, I drove at steady speeds without too much harsh braking and acceleration, since I wanted to test the maximum mileage. Regarding the gear shift, I'm sure that I'm not shifting too early but I'll try your suggestion.