Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th October 2009, 13:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

The tragedy is so sad. Even a largish plastic football costing less than Rs 50 or a jerrycan can save a person from drowning and they had nothing on board except a few unopened life jackets.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:27   #17
BHPian

I seriously doubt if lifejackets or any emergency measures would work. This is not a big ship which would have listed slowly giving enough time for emergency measures to be activated. A small boat like this would have just tippled over and only way to save people would be rescuers to jump into water and try to save the trapped !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets not blame just the driver based on newspaper reports etc. The whole crew at KTDC should be framed as there should have been more crew onboard.

That apart, I was praying that no one from TBHP was in this mishap as I knew many were on tour to Kerala.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

I do agree the sinking would have been swift on such a small vessel. I think on such trips everyone should personally carry a Rs 50 plastic football, possibly in a plastic carry bag. If you can hold on to it you cannot drown.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
I seriously doubt if lifejackets or any emergency measures would work. This is not a big ship which would have listed slowly giving enough time for emergency measures to be activated. A small boat like this would have just tippled over and only way to save people would be rescuers to jump into water and try to save the trapped !!
There were around 20- 25 life jackets were kept on our boat too. all were new, not even used once. Everything were kept "SAFE" without opening even the plastic cover
Speed-Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
There is some inaccuracy , dont think that is the boat. Please read the link of the newsreport on the arrest of the inspector posted by me. It is clearly mentioned that the boat had a listing of 2.9 degrees to the right. The photograph referred by you shows the boat listing to the left.
There is no inconsistency here. The photograph shows the boat listing to the right only (the boat in the red square). The boat is moving away from the camera.

And reading some comments, a few of us seem to think that SG's last pic shows the boat during its last trip. It shows the same boat, not the same people. SG did say that he took the pic when that boat overtook them, and later when they returned to the boat landing, the boat had already started on its fateful trip.

And the time stamp looks okay too.

EDIT: The Wikipedia page has a photo of the passengers as well, that can be enlarged to its original size. A very cheerful set of people.

I feel very, very sad.

Last edited by pjay_in : 9th October 2009 at 14:13.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:57   #22
BHPian

It is really very sad to see the last pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
The last pic is really touching.
Did you observe any tilt in the boat?
As SJ_Koova mentioned, the boat looks slightly tilt towards right. See the pics taken from wikipedia.
Attached Images

ImranShahnawaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 13:58   #23
BHPian

The boat is indeed listing to the right in Sankar's photo, you can see the back side of the boat (look at the wake of water to see which direction the boat is moving in)

Horrible tragedy though.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 13:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the recent investigation report also justifies same.
the boat itself had problems which taken so many lives -REally HOrrible.
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 13:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

So Sad for all the tourists !! May their soles RIP.

I saw this on the news BUT never knew the toll was so high !
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 17:25   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is some inaccuracy , dont think that is the boat. Please read the link of the newsreport on the arrest of the inspector posted by me. It is clearly mentioned that the boat had a listing of 2.9 degrees to the right. The photograph referred by you shows the boat listing to the left.
There is no inaccuracy my friend. The boat is indeed tilting to the right. Guess you got your left and right confused.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote